ABOUT ESSX POLE WEIGHT RATINGS

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue May 13, 2008 12:06 am

It was called to my attention this weekend that many Officials are reading far too much into the HS rules weight ring rating!
I am all for safety, fairness, but lets not forget how hard these kids have worked to get here to have fun!
If the label looks funny call me I can usually confirm by phone originality!

We also will not allow coaches to cheat on weight labels. You must send me a photo of the engraving with serial number before we will sell replacement labels. We verify all serial numbers by the original pattern to confirm originality!
We were one the of the very first pole companies to comply with the NFHS pole label rules. We even go one step further. We engrave the pole at the butt with the weight rating permanently in the pole and the top ring which meets the NFHS rules and reads the same to confirm originality.
We have a label if removed cannot be used again on other poles or even replaced on the same pole! In the last 2 years we have placed the serial number on the label that matches the serial number engraved on the pole! The weight label varies in placement based on the exact distance form the short side of the sail piece to the top of the pole for full consistency for the Vaulter and complies with the rules for manufacturer’s placement of the label.

It is a 1 inch label that is contrast to the pole and has 3/4" tall bold numerals that can easily be seen!
I was even told by an official that ESSX poles might not be allowed in the Illinois State meet . Every reason he gave me was incorrect about our ESSX pole! So I am not sure where this is coming from?

And that I was not available to be consulted on my Pole labels but I am always available to answer my phone?
In fact I can be called and I answer or call back something the other pole companies Owners seem to have a hard time doing! ASK anyone!

My toll free number is 1-877-367-3779 my website is marked on every ESSX pole? You can get my email it is bruce@xlogicsports.com

I have been in the pole business for over 35 years and many pole vault safety rules were supported by my persistence to make them rules!
I want to assure all that if the label matches the engraved portion of the pole it is a true indicator that the pole meets the rules!

I am sure this is just a rumor as it would be sad to ruin a state meet for a child who has worked hard and is on a product that does in fact meet and comply with the rules.

You will know right away if the label is not a true label it will not match the permanent engraved markings of the pole. This should be plenty of confirmation for the Officials that we do indeed comply with the rules.

We wish all vaulters no matter what pole you use to have a safe and exciting State Meet.
It is time to go for your Personal Record!!

Bruce Caldwell
Owner, Founder, Designer ESSX

LogIc
PV Fan

Unread postby LogIc » Thu May 15, 2008 2:04 pm

Thanks, i know this hasn't happened to me, but i am glad that this was cleared up, i have bought 2 poles from you, i use both of them and they are amazing, getting another one soon! thanks for the clarification, its good to know that there is someone to call incase this happens.

thanks!!
~>[LogIc]<~

WA Vaulters: It's What We Do

Mitch
PV Fan

Unread postby Mitch » Thu May 15, 2008 3:25 pm

I don't think anyone uses ESSX in Illinois considering Gill's factory is in Illinois. I rarely even see Spirits in the state.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

That post was funny same 4 TEXAS never see any Other brands

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sat May 24, 2008 8:19 am

That post was funny same for TEXAS never see any Other brands unless they are made in TEXAS!!!
GRIN ;)

I would like to congratulate the Illinois State officials association for taking the time to insure that the rules for vaulting poles were clear and met.
Thus providing added safety to the event.
Many vaulters on what ever pole brand they choose had the opportunity to jump their best.

Accomplishing your best is what pole vaulting about as well as having FUN

Bruce Caldwell
ESSX
Last edited by Bruce Caldwell on Sun May 25, 2008 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Sat May 24, 2008 6:25 pm

Bruce,
I'm not following what the issue was?
For what ever reason, I rarely see Essex poles out this way or if I did
I surely did not have a problem with it.

I'm sure your poles have a 1 inch handhold band somewhere and have a
weight rating somewhere on or about the band in 0.75 inch numerals. Right?
Then what possibly could have been the issue they might have had?

Fill me in just in case I happen to come across an Essex pole in the next
few weeks. All our championships are coming up soon
thanks

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sat May 24, 2008 9:51 pm

Bottom line is.........use a little common sense refs! It's not about you! It's about the kids! If a coach has to use a stinkin' pole rating rule to win then he needs to find something else to do and quit taking himself so seriously!

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

I am not seeing an issue either.

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun May 25, 2008 10:55 am

I am not seeing an issue either.
We provide a 1" ring at the top of the pole with the words do not hold above this label. We have the Black type in BOLD letter and numerals more than .75 tall.
We put the serial number of the pole on the label.
We also engrave the same info permanently on the butt of the pole
One can verify this by removing the tape at the butt for inspection! Please tell the athletes you are going to do this before they tape the butt of their poles.
If the serial number of the ring and the pole match it is an indicator the pole is correct. Even if the ring weight size and the engraving of the pole are the same the poles is correct!
The label cannot be placed on other poles the adhesive will not work once removed!
We find that our poles fit the athletes better than other brands with our XLOGIC SYSTEM we usually do not have problems of coaches needing to change the label!
SOMETHING NEW we started this week is an ESSX SMART LABEL coaches are going to love this label it is very helpful to them in pole selection!!
ESSX
http://www.therightpole.com475

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”