Who coached histories top HS vaulters?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Who coached histories top HS vaulters?

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:46 am

Behind every great vaulter there is usually a great coach, who deserves recognition. When HS guy's vault 16' , 17', even 18' it is not by accident. A great athlete can jump 13', occasionally 14', and on rare occasions 15' without a coach. But to go beyond that it typically takes more. For HS girls I would say coaches of girls above 12' or 13'. When great athletes and great coaches combine it makes for some great vaulting. Let's post some deserving coaches names.

Coaches like Rick Baggett, who has coached Tommy Skipper since I think 7th grade. Rick is an awesome coach, I learn something everytime I am around him. :yes:

I would be particularly interested in knowing who was the coach of Casey Carrigan, who jumped 17'+ in HS in the 1960's. Or was Casey just a freak of nature?
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:59 am

As far as I know Carrigan was coached by his dad. He pole vaulted in his backyard as a kid and I have never heard a coach mentioned while he was in high school. Maybe Zack can ask Dick Henrie about it, since Dick vaulted against him in HS.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:00 pm

Joe Hester - Orangefield HS, TX
Eric Eshbach - 18'2
Jacob Davis - 17'6
Jonathan Henly - 17'3
Wayne Guidry - 17'0?

Numerous 16'ers
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:02 pm

How many 13'ers has Jan coached?

Off the top of my head:

Kira Costa
Shayla Ballentine
Chelsea Johnson
Monica Pacas

Who else?
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:04 pm

I dont really have a coach, and I have managed pretty well.

russvault
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 19'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Dana Ellis-Buller

Unread postby russvault » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:35 pm

It will catch up with you, someone has to be in charge, My dad coached me and taught me alot on an off of the track.

Someone has to be there to push you on those days that you arent motivated to do anything, because it will all catch up with you SCOTT!!
trust me!!
i still see my college coachs on occasions

hurstiger
PV Fan

Unread postby hurstiger » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:41 pm

Glad to have passed the torch onto someone a lot more knowledgeable than myself!!!! All vaulters need that push once in a while.

russvault
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 19'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Dana Ellis-Buller

Unread postby russvault » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:51 pm

Hey mr lancon,
call me at 337-475-5204

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:00 pm

OAKPV2004 wrote:I dont really have a coach, and I have managed pretty well.
Scott, you have done a great job so far. :yes: Just think of where you can go with a good coach. The toughest part for you at this point will be getting rid of the bad habits you have developed on your own. The key to taking it to the next level will be making those changes and, as always, conditioning.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:05 pm

lonestar wrote:Joe Hester - Orangefield HS, TX
Eric Eshbach - 18'2
Jacob Davis - 17'6
Jonathan Henly - 17'3
Wayne Guidry - 17'0?

Numerous 16'ers
I spoke at length with Coach Hester at JO National's in Miami. Enjoyed the conversation. He had some interesting stories about Jacob and no one believing how high he was jumping, and not giving him credit for records at the time.

Jan has done an incredible job with the HS girls. He is by far #1 with them.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:47 pm

I would like to mention Cranston Hysong as one of the better pole vault coaches around. He has, if you know him, he brings out the best from each of his vaulters he has, even though he has not had as much talent as some may want. Regardles he really knows the event extremely well, and is always more than willing to help as long as your willing to work. After all, he did coach Nick Hysong to 17'4.50" in hs, and low and behold, 2000 olympic Gold Medalist. He also coached me to 16' 8.75" and as Mr. Shealy said, an athlete can only go so far without a good coach. I know he definitely pushed me to excell, and without him I wouldnt be where I am now for sure.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:13 pm

wacky274 wrote:...Cranston Hysong... brings out the best from each of his vaulters he has, even though he has not had as much talent as some may want.
I know you're not referring to yourself. LOL

Coaching is in some ways like fishing. If you don't put your line in the water you definitely won't catch anything. And occasionally you land a lunker. :D

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”