State Qualifications

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

sdvaulter06
PV Nerd

State Qualifying Marks

Unread postby sdvaulter06 » Sun May 09, 2004 8:06 pm

In South Dakota we have 3 Class. There is AA (16 largest schools), A (64 next largest), and B (All the rest)! AA boys have to vault 12'6" to qualify for state! A vaulters have to vault 11'9" to qualify for state and class B have to vault 11' to qualify for state! ( I am class B )! But.... If you do not vault 11'9 in A's or 11' in B's and place either 1st or 2nd at the Regional meet, then you get to go to state! So some regions are easy and kids vault like 9'6" and make it to state! Same way with Girls, yet AA have to jump 10', A has to jump 8'9", and B has to vault 8'! There ya go :0
PM me if you know of any vaults around the Midwest!

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Arizona Qualifying...

Unread postby VaultFreak » Sun May 09, 2004 8:20 pm

In Arizona, we also have divisions up to 5A, and there is a state competition for each. This year, girls need to make 9'6 at an invitational or just any 'official' meet that is not a dual or regionals. Also the top two from regionals will go to state. So some schools have their best vaulters go to the invitationals (you can only bring a couple) so they qualify and then have the rest compete at regionals in order to get as many people to state as possible... For guys I'm pretty sure it's still 13'9.
Pole Vaulters get high!

ccpvus
PV Beginner

Alabama State Meet

Unread postby ccpvus » Mon May 10, 2004 12:41 am

Alabama has 6 classifications. You get to state by finishing in the top 3 at your sectional meet. There is also a few wildcards available. At state meet the height starts at 6' for girls and 9' for boys. :D

MillerTime
PV Whiz

Unread postby MillerTime » Fri May 14, 2004 10:45 am

9'6 got someone into states???????? in just our league, we had 5 gurls at 9 feet, 1 at 9'6 and 1 at 9'9. and our best girl vaulter is one of the 9'0 and shes goten 10 in practice before. our guys have to get 13'6 to get into districts, then i guess they have to get top 4 in districts to move up. last year our districts was won at 15'6 i believe.
heyhey

lilspike333
PV Beginner

Unread postby lilspike333 » Sun May 23, 2004 7:34 pm

In New Hampshire there are 4 classes: L-large schools, I-intermediate schools, M-medium schools, and S-small schools. Each class has their own state championship meet except that M and S are combined to form one meet. The provisional qualification for M&S is 8'6" and the automatic qualifier is 10'. I'm not sure what the other qualifications are for other classes. If you finish in the top 3 at your class meet then you continue on to the Meet of Champions which encompasses all of the classes.

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Wed May 26, 2004 4:32 pm

In Connecticut, you have to make a qualifying height in order to qualify for States. For Boys it's 11-6 and for girls it's 8-0, I think. That makes it really nice for vaulters.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

MillerTime
PV Whiz

Unread postby MillerTime » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:21 pm

tim hutzley wrote:In CA a guy in D4 only has to jump 10 feet to make it into prelims and then it goes on to finals masters and state. And for girls D4 its really low not sure how low. A girl in my league last year went to prelims with like 6 feet.

dang, im movin to CA!!!! i got 12 feet and barley made it to leages, theres 3 kids better than me on our team, and none made it to districts, we didnt even think about states.

we had 7 girls over 6 feet :p only 2 made it to leagues, 8' and 9'6 jumpers. our 9'6 girl didnt make it to leagues :(, so i thiknk were all gonna move to CA!!!! :P
heyhey

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:30 pm

MillerTime wrote:
tim hutzley wrote:In CA a guy in D4 only has to jump 10 feet to make it into prelims and then it goes on to finals masters and state. And for girls D4 its really low not sure how low. A girl in my league last year went to prelims with like 6 feet.

dang, im movin to CA!!!! i got 12 feet and barley made it to leages, theres 3 kids better than me on our team, and none made it to districts, we didnt even think about states.

we had 7 girls over 6 feet :p only 2 made it to leagues, 8' and 9'6 jumpers. our 9'6 girl didnt make it to leagues :(, so i thiknk were all gonna move to CA!!!! :P

I think you're reading that wrong......he doesn't mean state prelims, he means league. Nobody usually gets into state unless they're jump 14'+. There are three meets before you can go to state. League, Sub-Sections, Sections and then state. Usually you have to get top 2 or 3 at each one to move on to the next. Also California does not divide track up into divisions. All divisions compete against one another at the same state meet. There's only one state champion, not 4. This is why it is the hardest state to get to the state meet in.

skyin' pimp
PV Whiz

Unread postby skyin' pimp » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:40 am

MN sucks... you can be a 12'8" female jumper and not make state (happened in 2000 w/a NH at ONE meet) you have a section meet.. and there are 8 sections, 2 classes, A & AA.. For AA; top two at section meet go, if you're not top two or make the qualifying standard which can only be met at the section meet, no other marks count, you ain't at state.. qualifying mark for AA is 13'8" boys 10'7" girls/ A 13'2" 10'1"
confuscious says: man with four balls doesn't walk

gymkittykat
PV Newbie

Unread postby gymkittykat » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:48 pm

In Illinois...
for class A..
u must get 1st or 2nd @ sectionls &/or jump 8'6" (thats just 4 this year tho the height will most likely go up by next yr)
for class AA..
u must get 1st or 2nd @ sectionals &/or jump 9'6"(will change by next yr like class A).

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”