Weighing vaulters....

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Re: 2010 NFHS Rules You Should Know for Pole Vault

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Got to experience the whole "weigh the vaulters before a meet" thing last night at a junior high meet. 38 boys vaulters, opening height of 9'6". Only 6 of them made a bar. About half of them missed the pit at some point during the warm-up and competition. Some of them multiple times. This rule was strictly enforced and we almost sent some kids to the hospital. Luckily my kids are used to jumping on poles at or above their weight, so their only problem was a lack of coaching.

I understand the liabily issues that's probably responsible for this rule, however, I believe we are about to go through a dark era where MORE young vaulters than ever before are getting hurt and the courts won't be able to point a finger at anyone. After seeing what I saw last night I'm not optomistic about the future of young pole vaulters as a whole.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:17 pm

FWIW, the weight rule applies to all state, but each state is given authority as to how they want to enforce it, so check with your association for the rules. Some states you have to pull out a scale every meet, other states the coach just have to sign off that the vaulters are legal.

Here in Washington the WIAA has forms that are supposed to be brought to every meet stating the vaulters weigh X amount and are using X poles. I don't think most of our meets pull out a scale until League/Districts/State, and even that has been a little hit and miss over the years.

So make sure you are up to date on what your state requires. I think that any meet has the option of using a scale, even if the state requirement is only forms.

AVC Coach
PV Lover

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 pm

I know our state association has that option. Unfortunately if the NFHS throws a rule out there, our association tries to follow it exactly the way it reads in the rule book. I can see schools dropping the pole vault since they can't afford to buy the poles. Who wins in this situation?

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:42 pm

AVC Coach wrote:Got to experience the whole "weigh the vaulters before a meet" thing last night at a junior high meet. 38 boys vaulters, opening height of 9'6". Only 6 of them made a bar. About half of them missed the pit at some point during the warm-up and competition. Some of them multiple times. This rule was strictly enforced and we almost sent some kids to the hospital. Luckily my kids are used to jumping on poles at or above their weight, so their only problem was a lack of coaching.

I understand the liabily issues that's probably responsible for this rule, however, I believe we are about to go through a dark era where MORE young vaulters than ever before are getting hurt and the courts won't be able to point a finger at anyone. After seeing what I saw last night I'm not optomistic about the future of young pole vaulters as a whole.

First of all ... to Becca... this is a great post you started. I'm sure many of your readers may not have known some of the information you have posted here. Surem it's all in the book... but ya gotta have one to know it.

To AVC Coach.. this weight rule has been in the books since 1995!.. No vaulter should have been using a pole rated higher than his/her weight since then.. We're looking at 15 years now since this all started. Things have gotten better as a result.

I just don't see what your driving at with your comment about going though a dark era nor having a problem with a weigh-in being strictly enforced. It should be strictly enforced.
I see this as a coaches problem if his/her athletes can't jump on a pole rated for their weight, not a rule problem.

AVC Coach
PV Lover

Unread postby AVC Coach » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:13 am

Vaultref,

I know that this rule has been in the book for a long time. I get a copy of the rule book every year. Our state association requires us to pass a test on the rules each year in February. I'm sure I don't know all of them as well as you, but I do re-visit them every spring.

Just because this rule is in the book doesn't mean that it's a good rule. You are right about the coaching, but when reality sets in we have to realize there's not many coaches out there willing to put in the time with the pole vault, unfortunately.

Maybe you can give me an idea how this rule came about. What was the reationale behind it?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:24 am

AVC Coach wrote:Maybe you can give me an idea how this rule came about. What was the reationale behind it?

The intent was to lower handrgrips.

AVC Coach
PV Lover

Unread postby AVC Coach » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:44 am

OK. I'm not going to change any rules by whining about it, just wanted to vent and express my opinion. I don't agree with the rule and wasn't concerned about it until I saw some kids crash and burn over and over in 2 meets this week.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Vaultref wrote:To AVC Coach.. this weight rule has been in the books since 1995!.. No vaulter should have been using a pole rated higher than his/her weight since then..

I'm sure you meant ...a pole lower than his/her weight... Yes?
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

60vaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: HS/College
Favorite Vaulter: Danny Ecker

Unread postby 60vaulter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Agree with Master that I am not real clear between what AVC Coach and VaultRef are saying. Please clarify if you would :dazed:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:09 pm

The rule is that vaulters must vault on poles rated at or above their body weight. Vaultref mistyped (he knows the rule). AVC is complaining that too many kids are coming up short (not landing deep enough in the pit) under this rule.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:35 pm

It seems like I see more kids landing short also since the rule. While I agree with the intention of the rule. In practice in the real world I not sure of it's effectiveness. It seems that the majority of HS coaches don't know what the proper adjustment should be (lowering grip) or shorter pole and are putting kids in danger.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

pickerbuzz
PV Newbie

Weighing vaulters....

Unread postby pickerbuzz » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:12 pm

I have seen enough....Having a rule regarding weight of vaulter/weight of pole... is not working...
Just because you weigh the same as someone else does NOT mean you have the same talent, speed, hand grip, guts...etc.
This is what I propose to amend the rule of weight in the pole vault...

Judge whether the vaulter lands in the designated square in the landing pit. If he or she does... then the pole is safe for use by that vaulter. Isn't this what we want in the end... A pole vault judge should simply watch the landing and allow the jumper to continue if he lands in the painted area of the pit. If not the judge can impound the pole until after the competition.

This should be a simple rule in practice as well.... Coaches should be allowed to select a pole that will put the athlete in the safe zone of the pit.

I have seen too many vaulters come up short because of too large of pole. Also, I don't want to train a bunch of stiff polers just to satisfy the weight rule...

Let me know what you think???

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”