Typical HS pettiness

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Re: Typical HS pettiness

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:11 pm

First, Rule 7-5-16 has been deleted and replaced with new guidelines for the warm-up of pole vault competitors who have passed three consecutive heights and not entered the competition. Those competitors are now allowed two minutes of warm-up jumps per competitor entering at that height. These competitors often sit out long enough that a proper warm-up is in order. Such a warm-up wasn’t being provided by the old rule that allowed only one warm-up jump.

I guess this will bring the High School rules closer to the college rules -- probably a good move.

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:28 pm

nolevault wrote:Why isn't anyone complaining about the coach of the girl who got dq'd? It's evident that a lack of knowledge in the rules of this event led to the young lady being allowed to wear the bracelet. Whether she wore a bracelet or vaulted on a pole that was below her weight or exceeded the allowed time for a completed vault, an infraction occured and HER coach should be held accountable. After her coach, SHE should be held accountable. If she wants to wear a jersey that says " I love pole vaulting", that's awesome and great for the sport, but, it is against the rules. All high school vaulters should acquire a copy of the rules book so this never happens to them. All rules, no matter how petty we believe them to be, make up the sport that we all love and enjoy! Support the rules or get on a committe to change them.

Reading the high school rules is easier said than done. The rules are not available online. The links on the NFHS website provided in Vaultref's post only describe the rule changes, they don"t quote the changes. The actual text of the rules is only available in hard copy from NFHS at a cost of $7.20. The companion case book is another $7.20. The rule and case books change every year so that's $60 for a high school career JUST TO READ THE RULES! That is nuts. I know that NFHS needs to keep the lights on and pay its people, but there has to be a better way than holding the rules hostage.

Whining aside, I like most of the changes, especially the 2-minute per competitor warm-up period for the best kids, the ones entering the competition closer to the end than the beginning. We've been using that on an experimental basis in Wisconsin for two years and it's great.
May the Force be with you!

Divalent
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent
Lifetime Best: 0-00.00
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Divalent » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:45 pm

For those too lazy to follow the link, the change in the jewelry rule is that now the first offense is a team warning, (then DQ for second). So the first offender caught remains in the competition, and presumably the head coach will then round up the rest of his/her athletes and ensure there isn't a second. A very fair rule, where the punishment fits the "crime".

The PV warmup rule is good, too.

VaultPro22
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 16-3

Unread postby VaultPro22 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:31 pm

I think the jewelry rule is very fair. When I helped coach a high school track team, we had a team rule against it anyway. At first the athletes didn't like it but they got used to it and started to police each other on it. It kept us from having any DQs and when winning is the most important, that's all that matters!

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Unread postby drcurran » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:57 pm

I'm afraid we spend way to much time worrying about the jewelry and uniforms. All the relay team member uniforms are not the same "shade" of blue so they are DQ'd, someone's waistband has the Nike logo and the logo is too big, PLEASE! Now the jewelry - I'm not sure, but in a HS basketball game if an athlete forgets to take off his / her ring and during the game the ref. spots it, does the athlete get DQ'd? Or are they sent to the bench and told to remove the ring? We use to hear that the jewelry rule was for safety, can't remember the last time I heard of an athlete getting injured because of jewelry. Maybe it has happened, but not very often. When I was coaching I tried to get the athletes not to wear jewelry even at practice, but I for one don't think it should carry the "death penalty". OK off my "soapbox".

Dan
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:00 pm

The jewelry rule has been changed for 2011. You get a warning first. I am closing this thread.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”