High School Ruling

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

ciz21
PV Newbie
Expertise: Parent
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jake Czisny

High School Ruling

Unread postby ciz21 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:18 pm

My son won the State Championship last year, jumping 15'.
His high school won't post his name on the record board because of questions regarding the winning vault.
The meet was the state's outdoor championships, but because of heavy rains, the pole vault was held indoors that day.
Should his record be regarded as an indoor record, or an outdoor record??
I've contacted the state's governing track body, but have not gotten any response.
Does anybody know of any rules that would pertain to this situation?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: High School Ruling

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:23 pm

Each state decides what criteria will be used for their records.

Here in WA, we have all-time State Records, which can be set by any HS athlete through August 31st after their senior year. If it was achieved indoors, it only counts as an indoor record (not officially recognized by the WIAA, but we have an annual publication that notes them). These are basically the guidelines T&F News uses.
We also have State MEET Records. Sometimes the pole vault has been moved indoors when they have the event at EWU, and as far as I know, any marks achieved inside would still count for the State Meet Record.

Some states only count marks set during the season when the athlete was competing for their school. Some states do not allow marks set in dual meets. Some states only count marks set at the State MEET, and nothing else is ever counted for an all-time record.

So to answer your question, if I was in charge in your state, I would still count it as a State MEET record, but it would count as an indoor mark for all-time purposes. But it's up to them, the only rules you can really use to argue your case are the guidelines your state chooses to follow.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Tue May 04, 2010 8:20 pm

I think the record should be listed as an "indoor" mark simply because it was achieved indoors. I had a kid jump 17'00" indoors during indoor season then 17'00.75" during outdoor season, but it was at an indoor meet. Dystat listed both as indoor marks as they should. He finished the season with an outdoor best in our state meet of 16'08.75" and that's what he got credit for during the outdoor season.

It's unfortunate that they had to move the pole vault indoors at the state meet. I'm kinda with Becca that it should be considered a state meet record, but I'm not sure how they can sort out the "indoor/outdoor" credit. It's hard to say what he might of jumped had he been outdoors battling the elements that all of the kids in years past had to battle.

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Unread postby drcurran » Wed May 05, 2010 7:10 am

Seems to me listing the record for the State or State Meet with an asterisk explaining while it was outdoor season it was done indoors and continue to leave the previous record which was done outdoors also listed might be an easy compromise.

Dan
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

VaultPro22
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 16-3

Unread postby VaultPro22 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:35 pm

I am reading this and seeing that it is from a while ago so I am wondering if you ever found an answer to this. I would agree with drcurran and say that an asterisk could have been used to note that it was for the outdoor title but was done indoors. Congrats to your son though on winning a state title. That's very awesome!

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:07 pm

If I read the original post correctly the question is not regarding a state record. The question is regarding a school record.
ciz21 wrote:My son won the State Championship last year, jumping 15'.

Says he won but doesn't say it was a state record height.

ciz21 wrote:His high school won't post his name on the record board because of questions regarding the winning vault.

This says his high school won't recognize the height not the state. This seems to be just about a school record. In which case the school can decide how they want to recognize there own records.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”