Class of 2011 College Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Re: Class of 2011 College Signings

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:18 pm

Tell the young man congratulations !!!!!!!!

Thanks Dennis! :yes:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:51 pm

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... n-pays-off

Determination pays off
BRUCE BROWN • BBROWN@THEADVERTISER.COM • FEBRUARY 4, 2011

Type Size A A A
It's easier to hang upside down 15 feet in the air than it is to tell recruiters, "No thanks."

Catholic-New Iberia pole vaulter Morgann Leleux signed with the University of Georgia on Wednesday's National Signing Day, delighting Bulldogs followers but disappointing 18 other collegiate track and field programs.

"Telling the other coaches 'no' was the hardest part," said Leleux, a four-time LHSAA state champion in Class 3A. "How do you tell someone that? It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life, but I know I made the right decision."

"The visits were fine," said Shane Leleux, Morgann's father and coach, "but there was some negative recruiting involved. Some became (disagreeable) when we told them no."

Since Leleux first splashed on the state scene as a seventh-grader in 2006 (finishing second), she has been on the radar for schools eager to add her talents to their arsenals.

"I started getting letters at school in my eighth-grade year," she said. "I guess they saw 2011 (her graduation year) and thought I was a junior. They had to turn them back, because I was too young to receive any contact.

"Once my junior year hit, it just got crazy with all the letters."

Talking with others who had been through the process helped in the process, as did family discussions.

"We went on a snow ski vacation as a family for Christmas, and we sat and talked," Leleux said.

"We had 19 full rides offered by June 5," Shane Leleux said. "She got it down to 13, then 7, then 5. We made the decision over the Christmas break. We told the last school 'no' on Monday night.

"Morgann is a very mature girl. We let her do what she needed to do, and I think she did a wonderful job with her decision."

Leleux is also an accomplished gymnast, using skills from that sport in pole vaulting, but it has been challenging to balance the two at an elite level.

"I have my first gymnastics meet this weekend," she said. "When I was younger, it was a lot easier. As I'm getting older, I can't keep the same routine. Instead of being at the gym five times a week for four hours, I can only make it three days a week. But I already know the skills, so it's OK, staying in the level I'm at."

The aim in track and field is to take her level of performance higher as a collegian, a process that will start as a CHNI senior.

"I cleared 14 feet last summer," Leleux said. "I'm aiming for 15 feet this year. I'm stronger and faster now, so I'm getting on all-new poles."

Taking that next step seems logical for the determined standout.

"The key for me has been that I stay focused," Leleux said. "If I fall down, I get back up. Most teens will just try something different if they fall, but my parents taught me to never give up."

hiphipjorge
PV Beginner
Favorite Vaulter: Chad Harting

Unread postby hiphipjorge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:17 pm

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 1102040324

University of South Dakota signs #1 and #2 girls in the country...go 'yotes!

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:36 pm

hiphipjorge wrote:http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011102040324

University of South Dakota signs #1 and #2 girls in the country...go 'yotes!

Way to go Derek. Now just need to get some guys up where is is cold.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 pm

http://www2.wjtv.com/sports/2011/feb/10 ... r-1445518/

OXFORD, Miss. – Ole Miss has received four national letters of intent from standout high school student-athletes to join the Rebel track and field program for the 2011-12 academic year, head coach Joe Walker announced Wednesday.

Joining the Rebels next year will be nationally ranked pole vaulter Sam Kendricks (Oxford, Miss.) on the men’s side,

One of Oxford’s own, Sam Kendricks will join the Rebels after a highly successful prep career at Oxford High School. A three-time All-State honoree, he won the state title in the pole vault last year. He has the No. 1 all-time Mississippi high school pole vault mark for indoor (15 feet) and the No. 2 all-time mark for outdoor (15-4). He emerged onto the national scene last year by placing second in the pole vault at the New Balance National meet and has recently been ranked No. 15 in the nation in the event. He also helped Oxford High claim the 2007 and 2009 state championships. Kendricks, who also runs cross country and plays soccer, is an honor roll student and active in a variety of clubs and leadership roles at school. He is a student battalion commander with the OHS Marine Junior ROTC with a rank of Cadet Lt. Col., and he plans to study engineering in college and pursue a career in the United States Armed Forces.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:42 pm

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/high-s ... 03286.html

NCHS' Kirby to vault for Wisconsin
By Pantagraph staff | Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:46 pm | No Comments Posted

Normal Community West pole vault record holder Taylor Kirby will sign national letter of intent Feb. 23 to continue her career at Wisconsin.
Kirby was 11th in last year's Class 3A state meet and had a best of 11 feet, 6 inches to rank fifth in Pantagraph area history. She has since improved to 12-9 1/2, a height only three Badgers have exceeded.
"She is probably the hardest worker I've ever trained," said Coach Mike Cockerham of the Flying Dragons Pole Vault Club, who first worked with Kirby as a sixth grader. "She has a great attitude and is one heck of an athlete."
Kirby, who will major in geophysics, has qualified for the junior national championships June 23 at Eugene, Ore.
She will not be on scholarship as a freshman, but could earn one later. She turned down academic scholarship offers from Minnesota and the Colorado School of Mines.
"When I talked to the coach (Nate Davis), he was just so awesome," Kirby said. "I liked the way he structured his practices. I met the team. The girls are really cool. I think I will thrive in that atmosphere."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:42 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:She will not be on scholarship as a freshman, but could earn one later. She turned down academic scholarship offers from Minnesota and the Colorado School of Mines.

A 12'9.50 girl walking on? Now THAT is recruiting!

Divalent
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent
Lifetime Best: 0-00.00

Unread postby Divalent » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:57 pm

If she signed a National Letter of Intent, then she *has* to be receiving athletic aid, at least according to the NCAA.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli ... lt+content

(of course, I suppose it could be as little as $1)

firstand10
PV Wannabe
Expertise: former college vaulter,current HS/Jr. college coach
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby firstand10 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:35 pm

From El Dorado Kansas
Jaimie House commits to the University of Kansas. she is a 3x state champion, 12'6 pr, going into her senior season of track & Field.

learning to fly
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Unread postby learning to fly » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Katie Zingheim from Granite Bay, CA to Stanford University

Stanford Press Release
Stanford, Calif. - Franklin P. Johnson Director of Track and Field Edrick Floreal has announced the signing of 24 high school seniors to national letters of intent. The class of 15 women and nine men will compete for Stanford beginning in 2012.

Katie Zingheim - Granite Bay High School - Granite Bay, Calif.
Zingheim is a very experienced pole-vaulter from Granite Bay. She has twice been all-state with her third and seventh place finishes at the 2010 and 2009 California State Meets. She is also the two-time defending Golden West Invitational pole vault champion. In June of 2010, she went on to place sixth at USATF Junior Nationals. Her personal best of 13-0 makes her the top returning vaulter in the state of California and the third returner in the nation.

dougb
PV Whiz
Expertise: elite vaulter - Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.4 m
Favorite Vaulter: Feofanova

Unread postby dougb » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Make that 13' 4". Katie set a new PR last weekend at Sac State.

Doug Balcomb
PV Coach NZ
The older I get, The better I was.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm

http://pikesville.patch.com/articles/wh ... -smallwood

WHIZ KID OF THE WEEK: Sasha Smallwood

Pikesville's Smallwood recovers quickly from knee surgery and earns college scholarship.

By Dan Levin | Email the author | 6:00am

Whiz Kid's Name: Sasha Smallwood

Whiz Kid's School: Pikesville High School

Whiz Kid's Accomplishment: Despite knee injury, pole vaulter quickly recovers from surgery and still earns a full college scholarship.

Whiz Kid's Key to Awesomeness: She keeps a positive attitude, continues competing, and despite a setback, plans to work her way back to the top.

There is never a good time for a sports injury, but to get one in your senior year of high school, with recruiters all around, is probably the worst time for a major injury.

And to recover quickly enough to compete again and get a full athletic scholarship that same year is almost unheard of.

But that’s what happened to Pikesville High School's pole vaulter and cheerleader Sasha Smallwood.

This autumn, the senior severely injured her knee, rupturing one ligament and tearing another during a cheering accident.

Smallwood has been part of the Pikesville track and field team since her freshman year and developed into arguably the state’s top pole vaulter. She currently holds the state public school Class 1A record for the pole vault (11 feet, one inch), set in 2009.

With a her collegiate career looming, Smallwood had to keep the recruiters interested while she tried to recover.

It usually takes six to nine months to recover from an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tear, like the one Smallwood experienced.

But just about three months after her surgery on Oct 29, Smallwood was back on the track and competing despite not being completely healthy. Her recovery was a pleasant surprise to Smallwood and others in the Pikesville program.

She made it back in time to compete in the Baltimore County indoor track championship earlier this season, and she came in third place.

Smallwood then got first in the region meet in Feb. 7 , but knee problems bothered her in the Class 1A state meet on Feb. 22.

She did not place due to some minor knee problems, but Smallwood was happy just to be out there. “It didn't go like I wanted it to but I was grateful to just run and take off,” Smallwood said. “I sort of hyperextended my knee so I really had to ice and rest after, but it wasn't a big deal.”

Smallwood contined talking to recruiters during her recovery time. Schools such as Morgan State, Robert Morris, Howard, Rutgers and Cornell all contacted Smallwood about joining them.

But Smallwood decided to pole vault for Bethune-Cookman University in Florida starting in the fall. “It has a small program, but they just got a new coach with a great vision,” Smallwood said. “I loved the team when I visited, and I could see myself progressing well. I can't wait to go and be a part of the school's historical legacy.”

Bethune-Cookman coach Donald Cooper gave Smallwood a full scholarship to the school, handing her that scholarship while she was still recovering from her knee injury. “I was in total shock,” Smallwood said. “I was offered the full ride before I could even run yet. For the coaches to have that much faith in me made me fight even harder to get well. It is really a dream come true.”

Part of this faith the coaches had in her probably come from Smallwood’s track record over the last few years.

Smallwood will continue her recovery as the outdoor track season approaches and hopes to repeat as the state champion outdoors before heading off to Bethune-Cookman in the fall.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”