Class of 2011 College Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Class of 2011 College Signings

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:05 am

Dalton Duvio has committed to Stanford

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Class of 2011 College Signings

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:40 pm

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... up/Sports/

Bison track and field: South’s Larson commits to NDSU
Fargo South senior Brock Larson has verbally committed to the North Dakota State men’s track and field team.
By: Forum staff reports, INFORUM

Fargo South senior Brock Larson has verbally committed to the North Dakota State men’s track and field team.

A two-time North Dakota Class A state champion in the pole vault, Larson will likely compete in the pole vault and decathlon for the Bison.

Larson’s career-best vault of 15 feet, 7 inches is believed to be the best in North Dakota prep history.

Larson is a two-time first team all-state football player. The Bruins won the Class 3A title this season.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:10 am

doctorbob
PV Newbie

Unread postby doctorbob » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:14 pm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:33 pm

She's going to Cornell for anyone who doesn't want to watch the whole interview.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:50 pm

http://www.kval.com/sports/local/114830409.html

Sheldon pole vaulter commits to Washington

By Dirk Weishaar

Reigning 6A state pole vault champion J.J. Juilfs says he will compete at the Univerisity of Washington next year.
Story Published: Jan 28, 2011 at 2:39 PM PST
Comments (0)
Reigning 6A state pole vault champion J.J. Juilfs has told KVAL sports that he will compete at the Univerisity of Washington next year.

Juilfs considered the University of Oregon as well, but felt Washington could better help him achieve his goals in the pole vault.

The Huskies Scott Rothis the reigning NCAA indoor pole vault champion.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:54 pm

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2011/02/01 ... -from.html

Clarke plans on vaulting from San Luis Obispo to UCLA
Tigers standout pole vaulter will sign a letter of intent today with Bruins

Competing as a member of a Pac-10 Conference track and field program has long been a goal for Elena Clarke. She’ll soon get to live out that dream.

Clarke, a senior pole vaulter at San Luis Obispo High, has committed to UCLA and plans to sign a national letter of intent with the Bruins today, when the NCAA’s regular signing period begins.

“I’m really excited to be in that kind of a competitive atmosphere,” Clarke said.

UCLA offered her a partial scholarship, which is generally the norm in Division I track and field because of the large amount of athletes in given programs. Cal and Stanford were also among Clarke’s finalists, she said.

The Bruins’ women’s squad finished sixth at last year’s Pac-10 Championships.

This past May, Clarke won the CIF-Southern Section Division 3 championship in the pole vault at Cerritos College in Norwalk with a clearance of 12 feet, which tied her career personal record.

She then headed to the sectional Masters meet as a No. 2 seed, going on to place 13th at 10 feet, 9 inches.

Also as a junior, Clarke won the PAC 7 championship at Atascadero High, clearing 12 feet at that venue, as well, to tie the all-time meet record.

This upcoming season, Clarke said, her goal is to clear 13 feet.

Clarke is the latest in a line of recent San Luis Obispo girls track and field stars to land opportunities to continue their careers at the four-year college level.

Last year, Vivien Devaney, who finished second in the girls discus at the state championships, signed with Notre Dame. A senior classmate of Clarke, jumps and hurdles standout Abrianna Torres, said last week that she would likely decide on a college destination after National Signing Day. Torres, too, is being courted by numerous Pac-10 programs.

The Tigers won Southern Section Division 3 team championships in both 2008 and 2009.

Clarke has also worked for the past few years with local pole vault guru Jan Johnson, who won a bronze medal at the 1972 Olympic Games in the event.

“Going to practice at his place is really like my favorite place in the world,” Clarke said. “His whole program now is definitely what makes it my biggest passion.”

Johnson is also the father of former Atascadero High star Chelsea Johnson, who was a standout at UCLA and more recently, in 2009, won a silver medal in the event at the World Championships in Berlin.

St. Joseph High grad Tasha Kolbo, of Arroyo Grande, is also on UCLA’s roster and is another recent Johnson protégé.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Andrew Irwin, Mt. Ida, Arkansas signed with the University of Arkansas this morning.

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Tell the young man congratulations !!!!!!!!

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:08 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:http://www.kval.com/sports/local/114830409.html

Sheldon pole vaulter commits to Washington

By Dirk Weishaar

Reigning 6A state pole vault champion J.J. Juilfs says he will compete at the Univerisity of Washington next year.
Story Published: Jan 28, 2011 at 2:39 PM PST
Comments (0)
Reigning 6A state pole vault champion J.J. Juilfs has told KVAL sports that he will compete at the Univerisity of Washington next year.

Juilfs considered the University of Oregon as well, but felt Washington could better help him achieve his goals in the pole vault.

The Huskies Scott Roth is the reigning NCAA indoor pole vault champion.

Congratulations to JJ!
Good choice, considering UW's dedication to the vault, compared to the Ducks. It's sad to see another great Oregon HS vaulter head out-of-state to further their collegiate vaulting goals, especially when the Ducks have (supposedly) one of the best collegiate track programs in the country. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why the Ducks seem to not care about the vault as much as they could, but it's too bad...especially when you lose an awesome local talent like JJ. Maybe he is just tired of jumping in the rain and is looking forward to UW's indoor facility! :D

Maybe when the Beavers get their new track built and reincarnate their track program, they will be more PV-centric and keep Oregon vaulters in-state...?
http://community.statesmanjournal.com/b ... or-circuit

Tom

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:16 pm

Just to clarify.
I think JJ was almost 100% going to U of W until Oregon hired Jamie Cook this year. I think Jamie is not only a great guy but a great coach. Oregon went after JJ very hard and made his decision change from a slam dunk, signing with U of W to a hard decision to chose U of W over U of O. So I think all of us vaulters here in Oregon will be happy to see that the University of Oregon is very serious to re-establish themselves as a Pole Vault school and I think both Jenny A. coaching the Women and Jamie coaching the men are on their way to that end. Great choice for JJ as Pat always does a great job, I just think both places are and will continue to be great destinations for vaulters. I hope to continue to have vaulters that are good enough to pass along, now to either program.
Vault On

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Morgann Leleux to Georgia

Clifton Harlin to Texas A&M

Cameron Overstreet to North Carolina