Can I get in to College?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Re: Can I get in to College?

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:29 am

souleman wrote:Something for you to consider. You can walk on (or get the chance to) a D1 school and work with the track team and the vaulters and never see the track or a locker for 4 years. On the other hand if you did jump 13 or 14 feet this year you could go to a DII or DIII school and jump next year. What would you rather do? Try to get on a team or be on a team. Big - 10 opening heights are 15' 8". At most schools in the big 10 you won't see the track till you're a 17 plus-er. From 11' 6" that's a long way to go. I've got a boy that I've been working with for the last 3 years that will probably be a 15 footer this year. He has opted for a Wisconsin State University. He won't get any scholarship money but he'll be competing for the team next year as a freshman and his degree will end up costing him less than if he would have gotten a partial scholarship at a DI or DII school. By no means am I telling you what I would have you do. That decision is yours to make. I just haven't seen what I've written so far on this thread so I thought I'd thow this out there.
Later...........Mike

ooooo.... what school in Wisco?? ;)

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Re: Can I get in to College?

Unread postby souleman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:04 pm

UWRF. Aaron Decker is the coach. Great coach!

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”