Volunteer coaches turned away

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Volunteer coaches turned away

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:43 am

belmore wrote:When you go to big meets and can't help but notice the age of the officials working the meet look like your grandparents, maybe it is time to step up and help,

Yes, this is a HUGE problem. The officials in this country are OLD and are in desperate need of fresh blood.

Unfortunately, there is not much money in track, and officials rarely get paid, at least not out here and not at most USATF events. Younger people often can't afford to travel very far to volunteer officiate, at least that's the problem I've been having. And now of course having a kid makes it harder, another problem younger people face.

I encourage all high school coaches to become a certified official. It's not that hard and you'll usually do a better job of running the pole vault than someone with a non-PV background.

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Sat May 07, 2011 11:46 pm

Hell yeah we're old, we've had to deal with pole vaulters all these years. We're lucky here, alot of the old pole vaulters are now volunteering to be officials, get certified and help. Texas vaulters seem to keep a hand in it, even when their careers are over. They show back up and help the next bunch have a shot at a good competition. Kinda proud of them.
compete and jump safe, have fun

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Sat May 07, 2011 11:50 pm

By the way, happy Mother's day Becca!
compete and jump safe, have fun

Kindig_girls
PV Newbie
Expertise: Parent/coach of hs vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: My daughter

Unread postby Kindig_girls » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:09 pm

We had a guy who wanted to volunteer his help in polevaulting also but was turned away because he happened to be a recruiter for one of the armed forces. The AD said it was a conflict of interest that he might influence someone to his branch of service.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”