CA State, Rock 16-2, Barr DQ'd for swearing

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

atlegu
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent, former high school vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 3,70
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sondre and Simen Guttormsen

CA State, Rock 16-2, Barr DQ'd for swearing

Unread postby atlegu » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:37 pm

Results Boys:

1 Ian Rock 12 Davis /sj 16-02.00 4.92m 10
2 Connor Stark 11 Oak Park/ss 15-10.00 4.82m 8
3 Adam Bragg 12 El Toro /ss 15-06.00 4.72m 6 1-0
4 Scott Greenman 11 Clovis/ce J15-06.00 4.72m 5 2-2
5 Peter Chapman 11 Murrieta/ss 15-00.00 4.57m 4 1-1
6 Brad Beekman 10 Clvs East/ce 14-06.00 4.41m 2.50 1-0
6 Brett Huff 12 Christian/sd 14-06.00 4.41m 2.50 1-0
-- Kyle Fraley 12 Lemoore/ce NH
- Evan Barr 12 Loyola/ss DQ

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: California State, Ian Rock wins with 16-2

Unread postby vaultmd » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:17 am

Girls:

Word on the street is that the winner had a 14" pr. Anyone know if this is true?

Code: Select all

Finals
  1 Anginae Monteverde        12 Clovis W/Ce           13-06.00      4.11m  10
  2 Victoria Rische           11 Foothill/ss           12-04.00      3.75m   8    1-2
  3 Katie Zingheim            12 Granite B/Sj         J12-04.00      3.75m   6    2-1
  4 McKenzie Johnson          11 Clairmont/sd         J12-04.00      3.75m   5    3-2
  5 Cimran Virdi                 Las Lomas/nc          12-00.00      3.65m   4    1-0
  6 Elena Clarke              12 S.L. Obsp/ss         J12-00.00      3.65m   3    3-3
  7 Taylore Jaques            09 Presnttn/ cc          11-06.00      3.50m   1.50 1-0
  7 Angie Charles             12 Bella Vst/sj          11-06.00      3.50m   1.50 1-0
  9 Kaitlin McCallum          11 LJ Cntry/sd          J11-06.00      3.50m  2-1
  9 Nicole Falkenstein        11 Buchanan/ce          J11-06.00      3.50m  2-1
  9 Rachel Bolton             11 Homestead/cc         J11-06.00      3.50m  2-1
 12 Madalyn Roberts           12 Mater Dei/ss          11-00.00      3.35m
=====================================================================================

atlegu
PV Whiz

Unread postby atlegu » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:40 am

Given the interview in "Clovis Independent" from Friday, it does not sound like that is true:

Question: The three vaulters ranked ahead of you in the state are all participating in the state meet, including Granite Bay’s Katie Zingheim (13-4). Can you win it?

Answer: I feel pretty confident. That’s a lot of competition, which will just make the meet more fun. I will be pushed.

Does your background as a cheerleader and tumbler benefit pole vaulting?

It definitely prepares body awareness, and that kind of strength corresponds to pole vaulting.

You’ve cleared 13 feet in practice, yet you don’t take it to heart. Why?

Doesn’t count. It has to be in competition

Kirk MPV
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter,Masters Vaulter,High School Coach,Parent,USATF Certified Official
Lifetime Best: 5.05
Favorite Vaulter: John Pennel,Kjell Isaksson

Unread postby Kirk MPV » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:33 am

Why did Evan get Dq'd?
Old Guys Rule

Barefoot
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby Barefoot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Evan was DQ'd for uttering a profanity after his third and final miss in the meet.

Here's the kicker... he would have finished tied for third giving his team Loyola enough points to WIN the California state meet.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsity ... Insider%29

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Barefoot wrote:Evan was DQ'd for uttering a profanity after his third and final miss in the meet.

Good for the official for enforcing the rules.

At our state meet, everyone witnessed some poor sportsmanship by the winner of one of the distance races, and was disappointed the officials did not DQ.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:40 pm

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2011/0 ... ack-title/

HS pole vaulter’s f-bomb costs team state track title
Rick Chandler Jun 7, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
Leave a comment

First of all, the pole vault is a sport invented by insane people, and anyone who attempts it should be allowed to curse with impunity. But the California Interscholastic Federation, sticklers that they are, do not agree. Loyola High School pole vaulter Evan Barr was disqualified from the event at the state championships on Saturday when he cursed loudly after failing to clear his last attempt. Still, he finished tied for third; giving Loyola enough points to edge Long Beach Poly for the title.

But because he cursed and was disqualified, Barr’s points were also taken away. So Loyola lost the title to Poly, 35 points to 32.

“He uttered a profanity out of frustration, and the officials thought it was significant to disqualify him,” Coach Mike Porterfield said. “He apologized immediately after he said it.”

According to Hal Harkness, the state rules interpreter, “You can’t be profane in a competitive area. He made an unfortunate lapse in judgment.”

Note to Hal and the CIF: Life is a competitive area. How about a warning? And then go ask Long Beach Poly how they feel about winning a state title under these circumstances.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog ... ool-wp2611

Pole vaulter’s curse word costs team state track title
By Cameron Smith

When Los Angeles (Calif.) Loyola High pole vaulter Evan Barr, who you can see pictured in a practice below, failed to clear his final height at the California state track and field meet, he was understandably disappointed. The miss cost him an individual state title and ensured he would finish in third place instead.

Yet, to say that he expressed that disappointment in an inappropriate way is a bit of an understatement. As it turns out, his reaction cost Barr another state title as well.
After falling short of clearing the bar, Barr, whom you can see competing at the 2011 California Relays (not the state championship meet) in this video, let out a loud expletive. According to the Los Angeles Times, the curse word inspired judges to disqualify Barr from the event, with his points taken away from Loyola's team total.
That proved to be incredibly costly, as the adjusted points total cost Loyola a state track and field title. Instead, the Cubs finished second, with 32 points, behind Long Beach (Calif.) Poly High's 35 points.
"He uttered a profanity out of frustration, and the officials thought it was significant to disqualify him," Loyola track and field coach Mike Porterfield told the Times. "He apologized immediately after he said it."
Apologies weren't enough to save Barr or his team from what has to go down as one of the more ignominious and costly setbacks in recent prep track and field history.
If nothing else, the star vaulter has provided a compelling case of the importance of minding ones manners in the heat of competition.
"You can't be profane in a competitive area," California state track and field rules interpreter Hal Harkness told the Times' Eric Sondheimer. "He made an unfortunate lapse in judgment."

From the comments on this article: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsity ... l#comments
1) The profanity shouted by the athlete in question was loud enough to be heard by fans in the bleachers.

2) The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS)rules which govern high school sports in California are clear on an athlete's use of profanity. YOu can find it at nfhs.org. Here is the relevant passage from the Track & Field rule book:

ART. 2
Unacceptable conduct by a competitor includes, but is not limited to: willful failure to follow the directions
of a meet official, using profanity that is not directed at someone or any action which could bring discredit
to the individual or his/her school.
PENALTY: Disqualification from that event.

Pretty clear. All Southern Section coaches receive a copy of the NFHS rule book at the beginning of each season. It is the coach's responsibility to ensure that his/her student-athletes are well aware of the rules.

The officials enforced a clear cut rule in exactly the manner it is intended to be applied.

I repeatedly emphasize this rule and the no taunting rule with my athletes...since I'm aware that the general dynamics of youth culture cause many kids to be casual about the use of profanity and/or taunting.

Posted by: Sports Fan | June 06, 2011 at 03:32 PM

Barefoot
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby Barefoot » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:23 am

Okay... I get the point about wanting officials to enforce rules... but this is a rule I have seen ignored in multiple instances at many meets. Go to a high school football game and listen to the language coming from the field. Listen to the f-bombs launched many many high school coaches! Imagine the hue and cry if a state championship in football was determined by dis-allowing a touch-down from a team because of profane language.

Evan will do fine in college. He works very hard (from what I hear from others), seems to be an affable young man, and is a fine vaulter. This season he came back from knee surgery, a mere month before qualifying meets, to make the state meet out of the CIF southern section (no small feat). His coaches are excellent men who teach sportsmanship and the love of the pole vault. Obviously, yelling profane words in disappointment is not using his best judgement, but to see a rule which is almost NEVER enforced in other sports, or at any track meet I have been to before, thrown at him and his team at the state championships??? I suppose it sends a message to others, but it is sad for Evan and Loyola to see it occur at such a critical juncture after he has battled back from such an injury and has competed well enough (bar an ill advised expletive) to score a state winning jump in the pole vault.

Given the truly unsportsmanlike behaviors one sees in so many high school sports... it feels awful to hinge a state title on one word from a young man, who at every meet I have seen him at has been enthusiastic and supportive of his fellow competitors.

And so the state meet win goes to a school with 5000 students, which does not even contest the vault, and which I'm sure has never uttered an expletive in competition. My heart goes out to Evan.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:36 am

This is really a tough one as I can see both sides. What it really does is make me take a look at myself. I'm not a "violator" but I've been so close to saying something in frustration that I apologized anyway. I understand a message needs to be sent and I'm sorry for the athlete and team, but I take this as a message to myself. It others do also then we won't see this again. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

titanpv07
PV Wannabe
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.00m
Favorite Vaulter: dean starkey!

Unread postby titanpv07 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:16 am

I know theres always the "well rules are rules" argument but then again ive also been taught courtesy. At a state meet i saw, a jumper jumped a foot under his PR, but still placed top 5, but after missing his last attempt said the "S" word, and stormed off the field pissed offf...was not DQ'ed. Almost everyone at some point has muttered under his breath after missing a vault. Had evan used the languagehe did, stormed off the field and what not, yes DQ him, but given the fact that immediately after he did it, he apoligized and showed remorse even before he knew he was going tobe DQ'ed seems a tad extreme not to issue a warning, a common courtesy to another human.
"How can you say the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon"

SmurfonaStick
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.33
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Re: CA State, Rock 16-2, Barr DQ'd for swearing

Unread postby SmurfonaStick » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:36 pm

I can say first hand that Evan is a great guy. Although I don't condone profanity on the field of competition, I do believe that there should have been some kind of warning system put in place. He realized his fault immediately and after the call was made he owned up to it and was the first to notify and apologize to his coach. Believe me he is not proud or happy about what he did. What is really sad is I've heard Tim Mack drop F-bombs without consequence and Ive seen Toby Stevenson no-height and then through his spikes half across the infield. Point is this is a frustrating sport at times, If you dont know Evan than you can not speak. We have all let words slip.

atlegu
PV Whiz

Re: CA State, Rock 16-2, Barr DQ'd for swearing

Unread postby atlegu » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:03 pm

I thought track and field (and sport in general) had to do with emotions. To be disqualified for just screaming a word (not to any other person) seems like an extreme overreaction.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”