Tie breaker

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Spillanepvcoach
PV Newbie
Expertise: coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: my daughter

Tie breaker

Unread postby Spillanepvcoach » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:39 pm

In the NFHS rules it says a tie will only be broken for first place. Does that mean that all vaulters who clear say 10' receive the same place?

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: Tie breaker

Unread postby botakatobi » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:25 pm

Only if someone cleared higher, and they all cleared 10 feet on the same attempt and have the same number of total misses up to 10 feet.

Spillanepvcoach
PV Newbie
Expertise: coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
Favorite Vaulter: my daughter

Unread postby Spillanepvcoach » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:52 pm

That has always been my interpretation. We just had a "discussion" at the meet last night.

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:00 pm

The tie breaking rules for NFHS, NCAA, USATF and IAAF are all pretty much the same.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:50 am

Spillanepvcoach wrote:In the NFHS rules it says a tie will only be broken for first place. Does that mean that all vaulters who clear say 10' receive the same place?

If the winning height is 11', and there are ten vaulters who have jumped ten feet, those who cleared 10' on the same attempt and have the same total misses would still remain tied.

The normal tie breaking rules apply, they're just trying to say there is no jump off. I think sometimes people get confused because Hy-Tek does not automatically break the ties, you have to tell it how to break them which means someone needs to know how.

There is an exception though... if the meet is qualifying for something else (for example State), and there is a tie at the final qualifying spot, you would need to hold an administrative jump-off after the event has finished to break the tie. The results from an administrative jump off would not count, unlike results from a normal jump-off for first place which do count.

Chukam All
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, IHSA Certified Track & Field Official
Favorite Vaulter: Mary Saxer

Unread postby Chukam All » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:28 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote: There is an exception though... if the meet is qualifying for something else (for example State), and there is a tie at the final qualifying spot, you would need to hold an administrative jump-off after the event has finished to break the tie. The results from an administrative jump off would not count, unlike results from a normal jump-off for first place which do count.

Not in Illinois. Here the top two (plus qualifying heights) advance from sectionals to the State Meet. If there is a three way tie for second place (but below the qualifying height) then all three (plus the winner) advance to the State Meet. It's actually one of the few things we do right.

Tincup1215
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby Tincup1215 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Chukam All wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote: There is an exception though... if the meet is qualifying for something else (for example State), and there is a tie at the final qualifying spot, you would need to hold an administrative jump-off after the event has finished to break the tie. The results from an administrative jump off would not count, unlike results from a normal jump-off for first place which do count.

Not in Illinois. Here the top two (plus qualifying heights) advance from sectionals to the State Meet. If there is a three way tie for second place (but below the qualifying height) then all three (plus the winner) advance to the State Meet. It's actually one of the few things we do right.

ha! Ain't that the truth.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Chukam All wrote:

That's great, I wish more states did that. :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”