High school heights getting lower?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

ncpolevauler2008
PV Newbie

Freshman Vaulter

Unread postby ncpolevauler2008 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:19 pm

IM a feshamn and my PR is 12 right now, Plus the season just started in North Caralina. most of the other new guys are hitting 9'6 at my school.

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:34 am

To me it doesn't seem to be a down year in my area. In Michigan last year we had 1 guy clear 15' in indoor, and then had 4 or 5 clear it in outdoor, with the top 3 heights at state being 15, 15-6, and 15-9. I just htink it is early in the season, and people just haven't had the practice they will get as the season progresses. I definately hope to hear about some high jumps in high school this year!

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:26 am

It just involves coaching,atheletes and poles availablesome cools get a few phenom vaulters and buy poles to cater to them and then everyone after kinda gets shafted if they are to light or heavy. Around here having poles is the trick.
-B
What poles are made of fiberglass now....

superchau88
PV Nerd

Unread postby superchau88 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:38 am

everybody in my area seems to be in a slump, including me. i seem to be stuck at 12' and can't get past it but there are a few weeks of season left so i'm positive i'll get my goal of 13'6" by the end of season.

i'm noticing the downward trend of freshmen vaulters at my school, but another school (mira costa) in my area seem to be doing well with their frosh/soph.

vaulter0512
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter0512 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:45 pm

Yeah I've been in a really bad slump lately and so has my teammate!! it' sucks but we will work our way through it! i hope
Always Improve...Always Evolve...Never Give up...

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Pole Vault Heights Getting Lower?

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:39 pm

It could seem that some of the boys heights aren't that high this year, but after Tommy Skipper popping 18'3" a few years back everything looks lower. As for the girls, they're going higher than ever. I think the reason is they are starting younger and the ones that have sound coaching are jumping high. I have 2 freshmen girls over 12'0" (one off of a 12' pole) so far this season and a 7th grade girl over 10'0". My sophomore boy went 16'1" indoors (holding 14'6"). Find someone in your area that really knows the vault and go get him/her to help you. As for the poles, if your school won't buy them, do a fundraiser. Make sure you learn the flex# system so you don't waste your money.

PVJESS08
PV Whiz

Unread postby PVJESS08 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:19 pm

Wow! A 7th grade girl over 10? That is awesome! :yes:

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:26 am

She's a fast learner and it helps that she's athletic. She had jumped it several times in practice then got to compete in her first ever meet Saturday and made it official.
You're jumping great this season! I hope you and your team can come compete in our street vault this summer. AVC is planning on coming to your Lonestar street vault in July.

PVJESS08
PV Whiz

Unread postby PVJESS08 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:49 am

Thanks! Let my coach know the details, that would be awesome! Hope yall continue to have a great season!

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: High school heights getting lower?

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:48 pm

camaz0tz wrote:im noticing from the schools ive seen vaulting so far that the freshman this year dont even come close to jumping as high as the other years...when i was a freshman me and the other now varsity vaulters were starting at 9 but the freshman this year are all getting out at 8'6 if theyre lucky 9...just seems like this coming year has taken a huge dive as far as heights go for newcomers...just my area or is any1 else noticing this?

Post-Olympic year blues, I say!

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”