High school heights getting lower?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

camaz0tz
PV Newbie

High school heights getting lower?

Unread postby camaz0tz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:38 pm

im noticing from the schools ive seen vaulting so far that the freshman this year dont even come close to jumping as high as the other years...when i was a freshman me and the other now varsity vaulters were starting at 9 but the freshman this year are all getting out at 8'6 if theyre lucky 9...just seems like this coming year has taken a huge dive as far as heights go for newcomers...just my area or is any1 else noticing this?

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:35 am

I would have to disagree strongly:dazed:. I think that there are many, very good non-senior vaulters out there. The bar is getting raised all over. I think that next year will be a very competitive year.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:37 am

yup, i definately think so, our guys are all new, or just not good enough, they all do 12 or down, and about 80% do 8 ft and down.

I've also noticed that for our girls competition, we've, meaning our own program, have gotten better, but our competition has been really bad. i'm not saying that there aren't good girls out there, because there definately are a good handfull of them but across the plane it has been decreasing since i've been vaulting in highschool, about 2002...

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Re: High school heights getting lower?

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:43 am

camaz0tz wrote: but the freshman this year are all getting out at 8'6 if theyre lucky 9...just seems like this coming year has taken a huge dive as far as heights go for newcomers...just my area or is any1 else noticing this?

i'd say its just the usual fluctuations of some years having really high heights, and other years just having average heights. i thought last year in nj the pole vault was really at its peak, and many people took interest in the event. plus, the 17'+ height by adam brought lots of attention.

PVJESS08
PV Whiz

Unread postby PVJESS08 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:56 am

camaz0tz wrote:im noticing from the schools ive seen vaulting so far that the freshman this year dont even come close to jumping as high as the other years...when i was a freshman me and the other now varsity vaulters were starting at 9 but the freshman this year are all getting out at 8'6 if theyre lucky 9...just seems like this coming year has taken a huge dive as far as heights go for newcomers...just my area or is any1 else noticing this?

camazOtz, are you a girl or a guy? And what State are you in? I am a high school freshman girl and I vault in Texas and I would have to disagree - most meets I go to, there are lots of freshman girls left in at 10'6 and 11 - as a matter of fact, my school has three freshman girls that are usually always still in at 10'6. My vault club, Lone Star Pole Vaulting (lonestarpv.com), has many freshman girls that are over 10 feet and an 8th grader that has a 10' PR. I don't really know about the guys, I don't really know what is normal for them to be vaulting as a freshman.

PVJESS08
PV Whiz

Unread postby PVJESS08 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:11 am

what's normal for a freshman guy to be vaulting?
Last edited by PVJESS08 on Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

camaz0tz
PV Newbie

Unread postby camaz0tz » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:11 am

im a guy in CA and wouldnt know about girls vaulting as my school is an all guys school
ya blaze could just be a slump year rather hoping it is and that it improves by next year

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:55 am

PVJESS08 is being modest - she's a freshman with a new pr of 12'0! :)

We also have a sophomore girl that jumped 12'0 as a freshman last year, another soph who jumped 11'6 last week, 2 freshman girls over 10'6, another freshman girl over 10'0, and an 8th grade girl over 10'0.

As far as boys go, Texas has freshman Travis Timm vaulting around 14'0, I have a sophomore over 13'6, and an 8th grader over 11'6.

Guess it all just depends on where you're at, the coaching available, and the number of athletes participating.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:15 pm

For the first time in my schools history, we don't have a jumper who can clear 10' let alone 9', hopefully it wasn't cause of my teachin :eek:
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:26 pm

Im sure not seeing any decrease in average height around here in michigan. And so far through the end of indoor season our top frosh has jumper 13-6, and top soph has gone 14-6. :yes:
What have you done today to get better?

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:33 pm

I know that a sophmore guy in New York went 14-6 at states and I know of a few juniors in NY that have gone 14 throughout indoor.
Go BIG or Go HOME

PVJESS08
PV Whiz

Unread postby PVJESS08 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:50 pm

lonestar wrote:
Guess it all just depends on where you're at, the coaching available, ...

Yes! I'm so glad I have a great coach!! :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”