Goals, strengths and weaknesses

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

wacky274
PV Follower

Goals, strengths and weaknesses

Unread postby wacky274 » Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:38 am

Hey, whats up all? just wondering what your best vaults were from last season (practice and meet/ bar or bungee) and what your goals are for this season....Also what are your strengths and weaknesses?
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

beastlyvaulter708
PV Newbie
Location: the ivys of providence(part-time)--youngstown, oh (the other time)

Unread postby beastlyvaulter708 » Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:42 pm

My best vault from last season was (10-6) which got me fourth at the 2002 state meet in Ohio. The state record is only 11'0" because last year ipole vault was just approved by the state board. This year I hope to be jumping 12'0" or higher, and set the state record for sure! I need to work on my plant though, because it is still really late. ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? :D

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:39 pm

When it comes to the plant, its as easy as pie, get your hands arms and body as high as you can at your plant and be sure to put power into the pole!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:00 am

yeah, like he said, just keep your hands high, eyes up, jump and drive.....do plant drills all the time, you'll get it no problem...
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

h2ojunkie42
PV Beginner

Unread postby h2ojunkie42 » Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:09 pm

my pr last year was 11'6" hum as for weaknesses let me think besides the whole breaking my hand thing. it would have to be keeping space and turning over. along with all the other stuff oyu can always improve (ie speed, strength)

hehe i think i want to move to ohio just so i could win state, hahaha. no affence beastly :)

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:44 am

I personally have only vaulter 9'6" in meets , but if anyone saw me in the paper during season..there is a pic of me vaulting 10 feet (probably more like 9'9" considering bungee droop). As for weaknesses, I can't get inverted. I can do most of the drills on bars and everything, but I fail to understand how to get inverted..I've had it explained to me so many times, but for some reason i can't do it when I vault. any new suggestions?

h2ojunkie42
PV Beginner

Unread postby h2ojunkie42 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:49 pm

you just have to see your self doing it. that is probably the best thing

localrunner
PV Beginner

Unread postby localrunner » Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:30 pm

my best is 8'6 ya i suck

localrunner
PV Beginner

Unread postby localrunner » Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:31 pm

but it is my 1st year so ya know lol

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:35 pm

Ok, I'm a jumper, obviously, but I really can't jump. It's sad. If I could just jump up, I would be getting a lot higher, I rely on everything else to get me off the ground. I have a good run and good plant but I sort of just run off the ground. When we record our standing long jumps I do pretty bad, I think I'm not explosive enough
Pole Vaulters get high!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:26 pm

VaultFreak wrote:Ok, I'm a jumper, obviously, but I really can't jump. It's sad. If I could just jump up, I would be getting a lot higher, I rely on everything else to get me off the ground. I have a good run and good plant but I sort of just run off the ground. When we record our standing long jumps I do pretty bad, I think I'm not explosive enough

Try doing some plyometrics now. That will help you get more explosive for next season.

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:49 pm

Yeah, I'll definitely be working a lot harder this year. :D
Pole Vaulters get high!

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”