Pole Vault Pole Protector

Got something for sale? Looking to buy something? Post it here, but make sure to read the rules first!

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

trackstuff
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 14
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Pole Vault Pole Protector

Unread postby trackstuff » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi Guys,
Just released a new product called the Pole Sock (Patent Pending) designed to protect the bottom of a pole. The Pole Sock is made of very durable neoprene, and secures with a velcro strip, with a no-slip inside surface. One size fits all poles. To order yours or find out more go to http://www.trackandfieldstuff.com/pole-sock.html

Yes, we are looking for distributors.
aw
Andy Washnik
Track and Field Stuff
877-796-2740

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Pole Vault Pole Protector

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:53 pm

The term pole sock might cause some confusion among members of this site as it has been used for a different product: http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=12188

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Regardless of the name collision with the "pole sock" that protects the entire pole, I wouldn't call it a "sock". It doesn't look like a sock, and it doesn't act like a sock.

I would call it a "pole sleeve".

In my day, I had a lot of problems with the pole rubbing against the top of the box ... however, I never once BROKE a pole becuz of that.

My worry is that the thickness of the "sleeve" might actually cause MORE rubbing. How thick is it?

And in the pic, it looks far too long. The area where it's going to rub is much smaller than the length of the "sleeve". It could be just as effective if it was half or even one quarter as long.

Could you not use tape instead of velcro? This would reduce the manufacturing cost of the device substantially ... getting it into the hands of more vaulters. Until you reduce the cost, it seems to me that it's going to be a specialty item, rather than one that you buy for every pole in your bag and affix permanently. Seems to me that a $5 retail price ... even if you had to buy 4 per pack ... would be more popular ... and profitable.

Rubbing your pole against the box is symptomatic of other issues. Are you overbending? With modern poles, shouldn't the bend be more in the top half of the pole ... eliminating the need for this device? That's just a question ... I don't know the answer.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea ... the market will tell you how popular it is ... and whether it actually works as advertised or not. I'm just a little skeptical ... but I do wish you success in this venture.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

ifavault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former high school vaulter. Former college vaulter at CC level. Future centenarian WR holder!

Unread postby ifavault » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:32 am

I'll reply with a similar type of response that I did with a recent topic regarding a "bar lifter" a few days ago...

I'm not trying to detract from the entrepreneurship of anybody's ideas...heck, I try and sell PV stuff myself...but here is my "poor man's" solution to pole protection:

One of the best solutions to pole protection to the box end of the pole that I have seen and used is to cut a 12oz aluminum can about 2-3 inches wide and as long as the vertical side of the can, then tape it to the pole at the level of the top of the box. I've also seen this done with cut shampoo bottles and similar plastic material, but the aluminum can is essentially weightless and extremely durable for its minimal thickness. Additionally, less tape is needed than if only tape is used...people tend to wrap tape thickly (which becomes heavy and eventually exposes the pole) if that is the only thing on the pole. You can litterally tape only the bottom and top ends of the aluminum with a single layer of tape so that the aluminum is still exposed in the middle.

I agree with Kirk in the sense that the product looks thick to the degree that contact with the back of the box will occur either prematurely or when not intended. An advantage, however, is quick interchange from pole to pole.

I do wish the inventor success, but my guess is people will be hesitant to make their poles more expensive than they already are and the thickness/weight issues may be too great if a cheaper alternative is available. Good luck.

ifavault
"Pole Vaulting...The Natural High"

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:59 pm

What is wrong with piece of old broken pole? Just take piece 5-10 inches long, cut it vertically and tape to the bottom. Use pole with similar or little bigger diameter. The weight increase is minimal.
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

Vaultiletics
PV Nerd

Unread postby Vaultiletics » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:18 am

Here is a cheaper and lighter answer to this agenda! 20 oz empty bottles...

cut it at the top where it tapers...
cut it at the bottom where it sits...
and then cut the middle piece remaining from top to bottom...
wrap this around the pole and use lightweight clear package tape to hold it on.
works like a charm and can be done for about 12 cents.

If you prefer I can cut package and ship it all for $5.99 :D and a small s and h charge. :)

If you want it colored ie. green (no additional charge) :P Good luck!

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Or you can take off right and not use poles that are too soft.

ifavault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former high school vaulter. Former college vaulter at CC level. Future centenarian WR holder!

Unread postby ifavault » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 pm

Or you can take off right and not use poles that are too soft.

With all the emphasis on PVP about first learning proper technique by using a stiff pole, I would think box and pole contact would be inevitable with just about any pole in a school's inventory. Hence, some form of pole protection is good insurance against wear and tear. It may take 1000 reps, but even repetitive scratching will break through and "cause the skin to bleed" eventually. The least amount of wear to a pole is better than some, I say.

Whatever vaulters find that works best for them, but I think the stiff pole practice and the inconsistencies of (at minimum) the novice pole bender warrant some kind of protection. As technique and consistency improve, maybe it becomes uneccessary.

ifavault
"Pole Vaulting...The Natural High"

trackstuff
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby trackstuff » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:44 pm

The pole vault pole protector is about 1/8 of an inch thick and ultra light weight. I've seen a rather large number of attempts at solving this problem among vaulters and all look pretty horrible and do not seem to actually function. This pole sock or pole protector will work and work VERY effectively and hopefully will catch on in popularity.

There are a number of very well known distributors on my list who will be carrying the product or you can buy yours here, http://www.trackandfieldstuff.com. Thank you to everyone who has commented so far.

Andy Washnik
Andy Washnik
Track and Field Stuff
877-796-2740

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:26 pm

Since you are already tooled up, have you considered a wrist protector using roughly the same technology?

Return to “Sales Forum”