rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

NCAA Regionals

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:27 pm

Got the information today on Regionals...

Men's Pole Vault Qualifier - 4.90m
Women's Pole Vault Qualifier - 3.66m

That's roughly 16'0 and 12'0

What do you all think about the standards, and regionals in general?

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:28 pm

They are fair. They wanted to take roughly the 100th best mark for each event. All the times and distances are relatively low. Lon

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:06 am

I think these standards give some relatively mediocre vaulters a chance to have a big day!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:01 am

Naa, it makes sure that all the people at nationals are ready to go and keeps the bogus marks out that are typically done at a select few meets. You'll find that the guys that are suppost to be there will be. Besides they are gonna give 7-9 at large bids for those who may screw up or get left out because of a strong region. Lon

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:33 am

I'm sorry, but In my opinion there are no "bogus marks" in pole vaulting. If you do it once, you can do it again.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:59 am

i'm gonna have to agree with adam on this one......i mean if you've done it, like, all you have to do is get your mind in the same place again and you'll be there (well if you are at teh same place physically or better)
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:01 am

I don't think Lon meant that "bogus marks" meant a vaulter couldn't duplicate their highest jump under the same circumstances. When I think of bogus marks, I think of illegal facilities with deep boxes, or weighted crossbars, tape on the pegs, incorrect standards, etc. That's why so many high marks have come out of places like El Paso, Juarez, Knoxville, and Abilene and many of those vaulters could never jump as high anywhere else.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:25 am

Is it true that you can automatically qualify to nationals with a 5.55 mark? If any of yall know, fill me in
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

dubjones
PV Nerd

regionals

Unread postby dubjones » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:28 am

I like the regionals idea. It will help to remove any "bogus marks" which like it or not, are out there. It also helps to filter out some of the "one big day" guys, who have one big mark, and can't seem to make a bar any other day. It also helps to limit the "early marks" for athletes who put up a big mark early in the season, and aren't ready to compete later in the year.
It is also a huge benefit to schools or athletes who can't afford to travel to adventageous conditions, or the great facilities.
The part that sucks is that it adds another "big meet" to the schedule for elite college athletes. A confrence meet, Regional meet, NCAA's, and US Nationals. Pushing USA's, and NC's closer together, while adding to an already limited training schedule.

vaulter580
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaulter580 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:53 pm

in my opinion, i think this regionals system takes away the prestege of the NCAA Championships, before it was an honor just to go and be in the top 18-20 athletes in the country, now you are just one of the few that got lucky or whatever........thats just have to see how it pans out
i may be wrong

ps. the best part of track season is getting on NCAA's list and seeing where you and everyone else stands after every meet
BZ
Arkansas State University
sign yo pitty on da runny kine!!!

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:18 pm

vaulter580 wrote:ps. the best part of track season is getting on NCAA's list and seeing where you and everyone else stands after every meet

I totally agree. Just to see your name on the list tells you that you are truly one of the best in the nation. That meens alot.

Troff-USA
PV Beginner

Unread postby Troff-USA » Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:02 pm

Lonestar, don't "bad mouth" Knoxville to hard about bogus marks. One of the top 2 or 3 vault officials in the United States is there in Knoxville! I know he won't take any garbage from anybody, including the Tennessee vaulters!

Return to “Pole Vault - College”