Eligibility Rules/Transfer Rules/Competition Rules

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

tikrapt
PV Wannabe

Eligibility Rules/Transfer Rules/Competition Rules

Unread postby tikrapt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:58 pm

Thanks in advance for the info... I'm a freshman athlete at a D1 university (would rather not name it, as I do not want to cause issues within my team/coaches). I am looking to possibly transfer because my school does not have the best track program and I am having some issues with the coaching and am possibly looking to transfer (plus its way too cold here and I hate the cold). I am looking for information on the rules of your 4 years of eligibility.

1. Redshirting... you can redshirt 1 year correct... does this mean you can red shirt one year of indoor and 1 year of outdoor? This would in turn allow you to compete for 5 total years (but only 4 years of each)?

2. Competing unattached... How many years are you allowed to compete unattached? Does it make any difference if you redshirted at all or transfered at all?

3. What exactly are the transfer rules? I know you can compete unattached after you transfer for that year you are not elligible to compete... but I heard something about if you get a release from the school you left then you can compete the next year for your new school without taking a year off?

That's all probably really confusing. Thank though.

Reasoning... Right now I'm looking at 7 years of college for my desired degrees. Also, I am moving from just pole vaulting (and a few other events every so often) in high school to multi-events in college (heptah/decath) and need some time to learn the events I don't know how to do. Thanks everyone.

tikrapt
PV Wannabe

Unread postby tikrapt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:26 pm

think i can answer one of my own questions (feel free to correct me if i am wrong)

anyone at all can compete unattached as much as they want for as long as they want? No matter age or whether or not you are in college? I thought of colleges that don't have track teams but just have clubs... those athletes can compete unattached for as many seasons as they want to correct? And am I correct that anyone of any age can compete unattached in college meets? Thanks again.

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:43 pm

Big issue #1: Are you a scholarship athlete at your current school?

utVOLter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby utVOLter » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:07 pm

I can't pull out the rulebook for you... and I'm not 100% positive this is correct.... but my understanding is as follows

Redshirt - You get one full year for a redshirt. This means you can redshirt one indoor and one outdoor season. During this time, I believe you can compete unattached as much as you wish at any meet accepting unattached entries. You can even redshirt "just indoor" for the year or "just outdoor". Both seasons do not have to be skipped in the same year.

Transfer - Much more complicated issue. I'm not sure I can answer all your questions correctly on this one. My understanding is that the baseline rule is: if you transfer schools, you must sit out a year. (This would be a good time to use a redshirt). However, I have seen athletes who have transferred schools and competed the following season. Usually these athletes are transferring out of their original conference, and I believe they must have obtained a "release" from their school and permission from the NCAA. Scholarship may also play a role in the regulations. I would suggest reading the NCAA rules or talking in confidence with your university's compliance office if you can't just ask your coach.

As far as competing unattached.... I'd say the hardest part these days is finding "open" meets that accept unattached entries. I don't know about age. I have competed against older competitors (college grads or pros in training) but I don't think I have ever jumped against anyone who wasn't at least in college. There may be a rule about high school or younger athletes competing against NCAA athletes because of recruiting. I think the primary criteria is whether or not you meet the minimum marks for entry.

I think Becca is usually pretty knowledgeable about the rules and stuff. Maybe she'll see the thread and be able to help you out.

I don't know if any of that helps. I hope it does. That's at least how I understand the rules to be. I'm sure someone who really knows whats going on can help you out or correct me.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Eligibility Rules/Transfer Rules/Competition Rules

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:34 pm

tikrapt wrote:1. Redshirting... you can redshirt 1 year correct... does this mean you can red shirt one year of indoor and 1 year of outdoor? This would in turn allow you to compete for 5 total years (but only 4 years of each)?

In the NCAA you have a 5 year clock that starts ticking as soon as you enroll full-time. You get to compete 4 seasons of indoor and 4 seasons of outdoor within that clock. If you take time off school your clock is still ticking (and you screw yourself over because you aren't making academic progress).

In the NAIA you have 10 semesters to use your 4 seasons. If you are not enrolled full-time it does not count against you.

2. Competing unattached... How many years are you allowed to compete unattached? Does it make any difference if you redshirted at all or transfered at all?

Competing unattached doesn't really affect anything in the NCAA as long as you are not getting prize money or any other inappropriate benefits.

In the NAIA there are certain rules that would affect kids who take time off between HS and college or during college and compete at a high level, but that doesn't matter here.

3. What exactly are the transfer rules? I know you can compete unattached after you transfer for that year you are not elligible to compete... but I heard something about if you get a release from the school you left then you can compete the next year for your new school without taking a year off?

Well they are really complicated and vary widely depending on what division you are in now and where you want to go.

The first thing you need to know is that no coaches can talk to you without a release.

The second thing you need to know is that nearly every conference at every level has a rule that you must sit out at least one year if you transfer within the conference (regardless of whether or not you had a scholarship).

If you get a release, you have a good chance of being able to compete next year, but there are no guarantees.

Before you get a release, you could try calling the compliance department of the school you are interested in transferring to and seeing if they will help you with the rules. I don't know if they are allowed to talk to you or not.

Hope this helps a little.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:37 pm

tikrapt wrote:anyone at all can compete unattached as much as they want for as long as they want?

Usually. There are high school associations that attempt to regulate this type of thing, but in general the NCAA and NAIA don't care what you do in your own time as long as you aren't getting money. Your own team may have team rules though.

No matter age or whether or not you are in college? I thought of colleges that don't have track teams but just have clubs... those athletes can compete unattached for as many seasons as they want to correct? And am I correct that anyone of any age can compete unattached in college meets? Thanks again.

That is really up to the meet directors. Some college meets will let anyone in, some will only let unattached people in if they are good, and some will not let any non-collegiate athletes in their meets.

tikrapt
PV Wannabe

Unread postby tikrapt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:42 pm

Thanks a lot everyone that definately helps.

To add to the unattached thing...

I can answer my question myself again... I believe anyone can compete as you said with the consent of the meet director. Our volunteer pole vault coach at my current school is an olympic development vaulter (maybe 28 years old?) and she vaulted last week at one of our college meets.

One question regarding something someone said... with transfering you said the year off is a redshirt year... what if you already used your readshirt year previously? Although someone else said 5 year clock no matter what.

So if I understand correctly... whether or not you are on a college roster your first year of being enrolled full time at college the clock still starts when you enroll as a freshman.

Thanks everyone. This definately helps.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:44 pm

tikrapt wrote:One question regarding something someone said... with transfering you said the year off is a redshirt year... what if you already used your readshirt year previously? Although someone else said 5 year clock no matter what.

Your clock is ticking. In that case you would end up sitting out your first two years and competing your last 3.

So if I understand correctly... whether or not you are on a college roster your first year of being enrolled full time at college the clock still starts when you enroll as a freshman.

Yup.

tikrapt
PV Wannabe

Unread postby tikrapt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:50 pm

So basically..... no matter how long i expect to be in school i shouldnt red shirt this year if i think i am going to transfer at any point, and then if i dont transfer i can just red shirt in a later year if i want to

thanks again. definately helping a lot

73-vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan, Parent, High School Coach

Five year running time.

Unread postby 73-vaulter » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:30 pm

Note that there are exceptions to the five year rule. Case-in-point Mormon Missions.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Five year running time.

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:24 pm

73-vaulter wrote:Note that there are exceptions to the five year rule. Case-in-point Mormon Missions.

The main exceptions are Mormons, pregnant girls, and medical redshirts.

utVOLter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby utVOLter » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:28 pm

True.... but if you willingly "choose" to redshirt without a medical or legit cause the first time.... you'll have a real hard time getting a 2nd redshirt year, or a "medical" redshirt if you will. This was the case for Michael Hogue at Tennessee. He was denied a "medical redshirt" after having a rib removed in December of 2005 because he had chosen to redshirt his freshman year without any specific cause.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”