Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Sharing Facilities

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:43 pm

We have to share our indoor track with the football team. And like a bunch of hot heads they get the facility when they want it. Like last week we were in the middle of work outs and they decided to practice early and kick us out. I have actually ran into the players with poles on purpose because they think they own the facility. The thing the really makes me mad is that they suck if they were good it wonuldn't be that bad but our team is the second best team on campus behind the basketball team that always go to the final four. Do any of you guys have this problem?

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:23 pm

This is Arizona, we don't have indoor facilities. :)
Pole Vaulters get high!

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:23 pm

I thought only we had this problem. I go to the university of cincy, last year we were forced out of our indoor track by the football team because it raining or cold, three times. Excuse me, but do they move football games indoors if it is cold or raining--dont think so. Anyway they come in and try to intimidate me and my teamates by walking accross the runway or sitting on the pits.

This would not be that bad except the football team has an astounding record of 2-6 (which means they suck). Like your school, the UC men's and women basketball teams are repeat conference champs and go to the NCAA tourney often. Our track team was the C-USA Champs in 2001 and came in second last year to TCU by 9 pts. This is a track team that, no matter the conference they were in, hadn't finished less that 3rd since 1990.

We have gained some control over this by using the football teams argument--'the team in season, has presidence'-- so when they came in in the spring we kicked them out and they praciced in the GYM.
:mad: the list goes on
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:28 pm

LOL Chris Our team hasn't won a conference football game in 2 years. we place in the top five at nationals in track almost every year and have had several all-americans and national champs in the past 3 years. My best guess is run them over they'll learn. :yes:

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:31 pm

yeah i try and take it to the medievil period. i ride my horse down the runway and blast them with my fiberglass lance :devil:
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:32 pm

use old poles don't mess up the good ones.

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Indoor Facilities

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:35 am

I'm glad you mentioned that about getting kicked out. Fayetteville High School is building an indoor facility for practicing track/baseball/softball and I'm sure football will figure out a way to get in there. I'll have to bring this up with the track coach and AD BEFORE they have a problem. If they put the pit and runway at one end or on the side, maybe they could do it at the same time. When they practice outdoors, they are always getting soccer balls kicked across the runway or footballs kicked through the goal post over the runway.... :eek:
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

baggettpv
PV Master

gym time

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:25 am

I pay the school where I coach $2500 for 31, 3 hour practice session form Nov. thru Feb. I have sole use of the facility and when the B-Ball coach complains I remind him of the $2500. It comes out to $28.66/hr which is over their normal $20/hr for gym rental. So far I have put together 3 groups of 15 each paying $225 for the time. I supply the poles and the expertise in the product of coaching. Right now I have the top 4 girls in the state and the #1 boy in the US.
Gyms are cheap, you just have to find one that will help you make it work. Nest year I am building my own facility so that the $2500 goes to the mortgage.....and this is just for the vault. A steel 60' x250' building with a dirt floor will cost about $125,000 and can generate around $200,000 a year in revenue. People want to run, jump and throw. Why not make it available for them. Ask Jan or Earl.

Rick Baggett

nzsprinter
PV Nerd

Unread postby nzsprinter » Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:28 pm

Well here at the University of Washington, we are pretty lucky. The indoor facility was only suppose to be built for football but they decided to put in a track, i think thats what i heard. We haven't clashed much with the footballers yet , they been in a couple of times when we are training but they usually train on the inside and we run on the outside, and so there is usually no arguements. Other teams train here to like baseball, softball, soccer etc, but they lower a net which divides the field up into three sections and surrounds the whole field but doesn't prevent the track people from running or getting worried about getting hit by the baseballs or softballs. So i guess we are quite fortunate about the whole thing being able to train indoors for almost the whole season until outdoors.

McDaddy
PV Newbie

Clemson Indoor Track

Unread postby McDaddy » Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:37 pm

Clemson is hoping to have their new indoor facility in use before the end of the season. It's should be really nice, With two PV pits, Mondo Track and Track & Field only.
McDaddy
A goal without action is only a wish!

xtremevaulter

Stupid Football

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:50 am

We are lucky down at Western Oregon University. Our indoor vault pit is underneath the football standium and we have an entire room that is off limits to anyone other then vaulters. it is pretty nice. but yeah our football players suck to but they get all the special privliges. Like keeping there own uniforms. Where as the tracksters dont get to keep squat even though we have won the last 10 consecutive conference meets in a row.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”