What's the overall best school to vault at?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: What's the overall best school to vault at?

Unread postby Barto » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:29 am

altius wrote:More that any other events the pole vault and hammer throw are coach driven sports. So the key is the competence and passion of the vault coach at the college in question . and are they going to be there throughout the athletes career. On the evidence this is not as common as it ought to be. I also have to say that taking a quick look around college ranking lists and results does not fill me with any great confidence in the overall quality of vault coaches at the college level. Given the facilities, time for training and the vast range of competition opportunities at most if not all colleges I believe many are not doing the job. Challenging - but having spent considerable time working in a less than favourable environment, like most coaches in OZ, I believe standards in US colleges should be much higher.

I do realise that the vault is the poor relation in many programs and often assigned to anyone willing to take it on, but coaching this event is not rocket science - how many college coaches are real students of the event and of how best to teach and coach it. Not as many as there should be. I trust this will get a vigorous response -if only to show there is indeed some passion out there. :heart:

There are over 1000 collegiate track and field programs in the US. Too few give adequate time and energy to the vault. So, from an overall situation point of view I could not agree more with Altius.

However, I would like to say that I believe there are MORE good coaches in the US than what people generally count. Many of the BEST coaches in the US work in situations where they are making chicken salad out of chicken s!@# with average athletes and less than optimal facilities.
Facts, Not Fiction

Branko720
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach

Unread postby Branko720 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:14 pm

I can't agree more Barto.

saylmj22
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.88
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby saylmj22 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:52 am

Westminster College in PA.
D3 school.
2 guys over 4.70.
1 guys over 4.85.
1 girl over 3.95 (2013 Indoor All American)
Has a great coach and awesome winter clinic and summer camp.

carryabigstick
PV Fan

Unread postby carryabigstick » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:26 pm

lol
Last edited by carryabigstick on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"pole vaulters are made in the last 4 strides"

carryabigstick
PV Fan

Unread postby carryabigstick » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:28 pm

altius wrote:More that any other events the pole vault and hammer throw are coach driven sports. So the key is the competence and passion of the vault coach at the college in question . and are they going to be there throughout the athletes career. On the evidence this is not as common as it ought to be. I also have to say that taking a quick look around college ranking lists and results does not fill me with any great confidence in the overall quality of vault coaches at the college level. Given the facilities, time for training and the vast range of competition opportunities at most if not all colleges I believe many are not doing the job. Challenging - but having spent considerable time working in a less than favourable environment, like most coaches in OZ, I believe standards in US colleges should be much higher.

I do realize that the vault is the poor relation in many programs and often assigned to anyone willing to take it on, but coaching this event is not rocket science - how many college coaches are real students of the event and of how best to teach and coach it. Not as many as there should be. I trust this will get a vigorous response -if only to show there is indeed some passion out there. :heart:

I think this guys ego is out of control. There is not magical knowledge you have that no one else has. It is all out there and most of the family has it. I would say that large number of the college coaches are very advanced in their knowledge of the pole vault but just choose not to spout off to fuel their egos. Speak softly and carryabigstick. I try to keep my son away from those know it all coaches who can write online essays about pole vaulting but cannot teach somebody how to do it in the real world. 2016 and 2020 Games looking like a USA sweep for the boys. Maybe the best crop of young pv talent EVER! Tell the Australians they can bring any guys under 21 they want, but he might want to bring his "A" game. all in fun tho!

texas relays + irwin.......nuff said
"pole vaulters are made in the last 4 strides"

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:53 am

I miss Peepers . . .

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:50 pm

I totally agree with Altius!

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:48 pm

I miss Peepers too!!!!

Return to “Pole Vault - College”