What's the overall best school to vault at?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

KentStatePV
PV Wannabe

Unread postby KentStatePV » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:19 am

SlickVT wrote:For comm, no one beats Syracuse and their #1 ranked Newhouse Communication school.
The best of the best have come out of there.

Their track team tho has alot to be desired, however. But they are gettin better.

I only laugh because i purposely got out of my home state of NY because of the wonderful... errrr, ok, cruddy weather. But then again, great indoor tracks are hard to find :)

GO FLASHES!

(ill be making a post about our new pit to show off to you all :yes: :devil: )
Pete Reynolds

"Like surfing, for example, pole vaulting is a lifestyle. It's different than any other sport -- you're competing against guys, but they're also your best friends." - Dean Starkey

zipsDIGSpv
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach

Akron is a great place to vault

Unread postby zipsDIGSpv » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:12 pm

Pete i felt like it was only right to follow your post! :P Akron has a great head coach who is also the pole vault coach...so we get what we need for sure. Great assistants and GA's that help with the pole vault. An amazing top of the line indoor facility with two brand new pits and standards. Check our facility out at http://www3.uakron.edu/track/2004/filedhouse%2008-06-04. We went from having to set up and tear down a wooden runway in our basketball arena everyday to one of the nicest indoor facilities in the nation We also had all americans on both the girls and guys side last year. Coach has an amazing knowledge about the vault. Campus just made 300 million in renovations and we have one of the best engineering and law schools in the country. It's turned out to be a great place to go to school and a great place to vault.[/url]
I beat my body and make it my slave
-I Corinthians 9:26-27

harogun
PV Newbie

help

Unread postby harogun » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:37 pm

How's it going everyone, this is my first post! So yea I'm a 1st year at Fordham Univ...aka the worst d1 track school around. Our team is just too small, and being a jesuit institution and all, track isn't as much of a focus. Don't get me wrong, I love Fordham, I have the entire city at my fingertips, and the academic and social scenes are kickin. Unfortunately I am the top vaulter (1 of 3) with a PR of 15', pretty sad...we have broken a$$ poles, no slide boxes, and the field events coach doesn't know what a rockback is, although he's really supportive and is very open to suggestion. What i'm asking you all is how should i go about manipulating my coaches into getting some new equip and poles? Btw myself and another freshman (13'), we can really bring some points to this small team.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:56 pm

hey

1. go where you would go if were not a pole vaulter..

2. go where you will not be over coached.. the vault is ...run.. plant.. swing.. a coach should help you with the right grip and right pole for the day practice or meet.....a coach should help you get strong .. fast.. and fit

3. a coach or program should give you opportunity.. you have to step up to the plate and hit the home runs... uppps this is pole vaulting...heheheh

you have to clear the bar and wave to the crowd..

(tennessee is not a bad choice although the men and women train seperately)

anyone want to be in touch email davidfjohnston@aol.com

dj

no i don't coach at tennesse but have coached 15 years ar the u level 8 years at d-1

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Dj

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:13 pm

DJ, is being much too modest!! He has successfully coached High School, College all divisions, elite vaulters, and olympians. Mack spent some time with him.

He just spent several weeks in Knoxville. Dave, I really appreciated you working with me and the Lady Vols.

DJ

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:01 pm

dj wrote:hey

1. go where you would go if were not a pole vaulter..

2. go where you will not be over coached.. the vault is ...run.. plant.. swing.. a coach should help you with the right grip and right pole for the day practice or meet.....a coach should help you get strong .. fast.. and fit

3. a coach or program should give you opportunity.. you have to step up to the plate and hit the home runs... uppps this is pole vaulting...heheheh

you have to clear the bar and wave to the crowd..

dj

dj's advice cannot be overemphasized. There are a lot of coaches that take a simple event and try to sound smart by making it complicated.

Wish he were still in CA.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

I agree

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:51 pm

I absolutely agree!!!!!!!!!!!

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:51 pm

I was lucky enough to get to spend time at two camps with DJ, that is one eneregetic, enthusiatic, informed and generous man. I noticed Dave left his email address, anyone interested in the vault needs to get in touch with this young man and visit one of his camps, he will definitely share his knowledge and energy.
compete and jump safe, have fun

CLCPV04
PV Whiz

Unread postby CLCPV04 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:33 am

Lori,

In my opinion, the best colleges for women vaulters (in no particular order other than whence they appeared in my head)

UCLA (Curran)
Nebraska (Attig)
Cuesta (Jan)
Arkansas (Compton... I cant say for sure, but I also cant deny Arkansas has a 14 foot vaulter every year)
_____

Best school for the vault in the IVY league (with a womens vault coach) is Penn.

Other coaches out there that really stand out as GREAT coaches that are not doing the college thing...

Earl Bell
Rick Bagget
Mike Lawryk
Greg Hull + his gang (Guy, etc)

I am sure I forgot some...

Most important: DO NOT PICK A SCHOOL FOR THE VAULT. Pick a place where you could be happy without the vault. ALOT can happen in 4 years. What will you do after your glory years of vaulting are over? Choose a school for its SCHOOL.

Take a look at some older high school rankings charts, and see how many of those same girls are still vaulting competitively.

As a wise old guy once told me: "The MAN in high school is usually not the MAN in college." Plan accordingly.

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:33 pm

wow, thanks CLCPV04- good advice. i'll have to keep all of that in mind, and i can't tell you how happy it made me that you used the word "whence." that's glorious.
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:45 pm

Peepers PV wrote:wow, thanks CLCPV04- good advice. i'll have to keep all of that in mind, and i can't tell you how happy it made me that you used the word "whence." that's glorious.

Chelo is putting her Princeton degree to work!

GirlPoleVaulter87
PV Whiz

Unread postby GirlPoleVaulter87 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:10 am

CLCPV04 wrote:
Best school for the vault in the IVY league (with a womens vault coach) is Penn.

Hey chelo!
How bout cornell?

P.S. the "pony/ flintsone run" is slowly coming along. I hope you notice a difference!
"Let's launch over it!"

Return to “Pole Vault - College”