What's the overall best school to vault at?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

megustasaltar
PV Newbie

Unread postby megustasaltar » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:28 pm

So what if you picked a school and have been atteding it for a couple of years, you love the school and everything about it, except the vault. You haven't jumped within a foot of your high school PR. Everytime you're coached by someone, like HS or something, besides your current colligiate coach (who is supposively really good and has had previous vaulters, all guys, who have gone to nationals, ect.) you do awesome and actually feel good about the vault again, but, as soon as your real coach is in action, you just suck and have to fight for attention because you're not one of his favorites. This is all theoretical of course.

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:46 pm

whoa, yeah megustasaltar- i've heard that about a few places... i too would like to know what to do in this situation.
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:15 am

Peepers PV wrote:whoa, yeah megustasaltar- i've heard that about a few places... i too would like to know what to do in this situation.

You have to think about how unhappy the situation is making you. Transferring is a BIG PAIN. Trust me, I've done it twice. But, it can be worth it.

I LOVED University of Florida. It was where I always wanted to go to school and it was everything I thought it would be... but when I was deciding where to go to college, I was a 7-6 vaulter and the vault was not a factor.

After two years there, I realized that pole vault was too important to me to go to a school where I could not compete.

First, you have to consider if there is anything you could talk to the coaches about that could help the situation. I think it is good to try and work out the situation at the school you are at before you start looking at other schools.

Also, you have to remember that you need a release before coaches at other schools can talk to you. You have to consider whether or not your coaches will make your season a living hell if they know you are leaving them.

If all else fails, I know a good NAIA school that can get you in on short notice :P Haha or you could make up a fake name and go compete JUCO for awhile (kidding...) ;)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:17 am

Also, remember that different coaching styles work for different people. Don't beat yourself up if you are working hard but not improving with your coach, even though other people are. It happens.
Last edited by rainbowgirl28 on Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

coaches

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:02 am

I think it is really important that you talk one-on-one with the ladies (all of them) that are currently on the team that you are interested in. They will let you know in very short order if their experience has been a good one or whether the coach has favorites or treats everyone equally. Then look at the levels of improvement of the team. If everone is pr-ing then the program is probably worth considering. :)

megustasaltar
PV Newbie

Unread postby megustasaltar » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:37 pm

I'm not sure I'm that interested in transfering schools as I am too far into my major and stuff like that. I'm also way too in love with the school.
I have talked to the coaches, promises were made but never kept. I think my coach is good but just isn't the right one for me. He doesn't know how to coach me at all. I guess the main reason for my post was just to vent more than anything.

Would it be possible to transfer after 3 years ( I would redshirt my outdoor this year) and still be succesful for the remaining 2 years? My other deal would be with $$ or the lack thereof. I came into college on a full ride but have since lost it and can barely pay for school and so out-of-states would kill me. What can ya do but smile and keep vaulting. :D

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:02 pm

megustasaltar wrote:Would it be possible to transfer after 3 years ( I would redshirt my outdoor this year) and still be succesful for the remaining 2 years? My other deal would be with $$ or the lack thereof. I came into college on a full ride but have since lost it and can barely pay for school and so out-of-states would kill me. What can ya do but smile and keep vaulting. :D

Yes it is possible to transfer after 3 years. I transferred after 3 and a half! Yes it is a pain to transfer when you are that far along in your major. You end up needing to take a bunch of freshman classes (unless you transfer in-state) because every school or state has different graduation requirements. As far as being successful, that all depends on a lot of factors. It is certainly not impossible to be successful transferring that late in your career. I had my best season ever last year, after transferring in January.

As far as the $$ goes, you'd probably need to look at going down a division or possibly to a smaller conference, where the heights you are jumping now would be more competitive. Then if you jump a lot higher under a better coach, maybe you could even get more aid for your last year.

There are some great coaches in the smaller divisions, you just have to look harder.

As for where you are at now, keep on your coaches about the promises they made. Talk to the head coach a lot. You may even need to consider discussing things with the AD if they are really bad, but that would depend a LOT on your situation. Also, let your coaches know that money is an issue. You might want to tell them you are considering going to a smaller school where you can get more $$$ because you are having a harder time affording school.

DaRuk
PV Fan

Unread postby DaRuk » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:46 pm

GirlPoleVaulter87 wrote:
CLCPV04 wrote:
Best school for the vault in the IVY league (with a womens vault coach) is Penn.

Hey chelo!
How bout cornell?

I just took visits to both Penn and Cornell... theyre both great places for pole vaulters. I liked both their teams. Jaime Cook at Penn was in the 2004 olympic trials and has good training programs, and Nathan Taylor at Cornell knows every event inside out, and hes a real funny guy.
Cornell finished first in the ivy league and Penn finished second last year (mens at least) Im pretty sure they are the top choices in the ivy

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:22 pm

I was wondering, what are the typical height requirements (for guys) to vault at a school D1-D3, not compete, but just make the team and work?
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:01 am

MightyMouse wrote:I was wondering, what are the typical height requirements (for guys) to vault at a school D1-D3, not compete, but just make the team and work?

why on earth would you want to do that!?!?! :confused:

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:07 am

i am in the same boat as him and if i were on a team and could work out with the better guys i think it would be a great motivator to jump higher and work harder. i agree with him and think it is a very good idea and would also like to know what these marks are.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:43 am

It all depends on the school. You could easily find a DIII school that would take a guy with ANY PR and let them walk on. Many DII schools would, and a few DI schools would let someone walk-on with a low PR. It just depends.

Figure out what schools you are interested in for non-vaulting reasons, then look at which ones you can make the team on. How do you know what it takes to make the team?

ASK THE COACH

Don't just look at the current roster and guess. ASK

Return to “Pole Vault - College”