NCAA MPV - J Scott 5.40, Dominguez 5.40, Roth, Frawley 5.30

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: NCAA Men's Pole Vault - Live updates now!

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:02 am

I'm with you, no matter what, someone still wins and they still give out the medals. Great effort and focus by all of the guys. Hope this was a big wake up call for the girls as a reminder that anything can happen at a big meet. If anything I think they will be very prepared.

As the legend goes, in 1976 Earl Bell went to the Olympic Games with the 2nd highest vault in history and came out deeply disappointed as he finished out of the top six because of rain and headwinds. As the story was told to me, his comment was that on that day he learned that they still have the meet and still give out the medals and that someone wins and next time it would be him. The story continued that every time it rained or there was a headwind he went out and jumped even f it wasn't his scheduled jump day.

Growing up vaulting with Dave Roberts in Houston, I was a huge Earl Bell fan as I got my first 17' (5.20m) in the meet in Wichita where he got the WR at 18' 7 1/2" (by a foot). When I heard this story after the 1976 Olympics, I did the same thing, jumped every time it rained or there was a headwind. To make it harder, we would even have impromptu meets on those days and you were not allowed any warm up vaults, not even a pop up. From that point on there was no situation that didn't empower me mentally. If you followed Earl's incredible career, mental toughness was a HUGE advantage for a person who had been blessed with all of the other vault skills.

So GREAT job guys and go get 'em girls! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:28 am

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield ... ht_ar.html

NCAA pole vault: What height are we at? A very good question during a marathon competition won by Kansas star
Published: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 9:19 PM Updated: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 9:50 PM
Paul Buker, The Oregonian

View full sizeBruce Ely/The Oregonian
The colorfully haired Jordan Scott claimed the pole vault on Thursday at the NCAA Track & Field Championships at Hayward Field in Eugene.

EUGENE — Even on its best days, a pole vault competition can drag on like the National Spelling Bee at a track and field meet, with vaulters invariably starting at a height that is the approximate equivalent of being asked to spell "cat.''

In this case, that would be 16-4 3/4, although Texas freshman Hayden Clark (he had company) froze after the 'c' and the 'a' and couldn't clear it.

When inclement weather — another downpour — delayed Thursday's marathon session at the NCAA track meet at Hayward Field, after officiating errors had dragged it out unecessarily, you knew it might be pushing curfew before a 2010 outdoor champion was crowned.

Sure enough, darkness had almost descended on Track Town, USA before Jordan Scott claimed the title on fewer misses.

The favorites coming into the meet were indoor champion Scott Roth of Washington, defending outdoor winner Jason Colwick of Rice and the colorful Scott of Kansas, who is known for his off-the-wall and very colorful hairdos.

Being picked to win in the pole vault is never a cinch — just ask former Oregon vaulter Tommy Skipper — and sure enough, there were some surprises.

Colwick shockingly bombed out after he passed on the first two heights and then missed three times at 17-4 1/2. It was a harsh ending for the senior mechanical engineer student whose season was somewhat hit and miss because of a hamstring issue, although he said his hamstring felt fine in Eugene.

“It hurts (to lose) because this is my last competition and I didn’t want to go out this way,’’ he said.

Colwick’s three misses came before it started raining, before numerous races had been run and before many of the 11,172 in attendance — a record second-day NCAA gathering — had left for their cars.

“I was very shocked,’’ said Scott, who has done head to head with Colwick at numerous big meets and considers him a good friend.

“After his second miss, I was like, ‘this can’t happen.’ I didn’t want to see that.’’

Roth didn’t implode as spectacularly, but he did miss three times at 17-8½.

That left the spoils to Scott, a senior from Watkinsville, Ga. whose hair style Thursday was right out of Baskin-Robbins, and LSU senior Josh Dominguez — who wasn’t on anybody’s pre-meet form chart.

They were the last vaulters standing when the bar went to 17-10½ at around 8:30, which was 4½ hours into the competition and counting.

Dominguez missed three times at 17-10½, despite the rhythmic clapping of a few hundred people left in the East Grandstand, while Scott barely missed on his third attempt to end a long day and night.

Roth said even if it was disconcerting to have a one-hour delay because of weather, the conditions were the same for everyone.

“It’s fair, because everybody’s dealing with the same thing,’’ he said.

Scott said the weather delay, combined with the officials boo-boo early in the competition — inexplicably failing to raise the bar — created a scenario that “was very confusing and complicated and (when that happens) it usually doesn’t end up too well.’’

But it turned OK. For him.

Colwick sounded like somebody who wanted a mulligan.

"At the end of the day, I messed up,'' he said. "I didn't do what I was supposed to do.''

Neither did the officials, who apparently suffered some sort of brain-lock with the bar at five meters and change.

"That's about the worst thing that can happen at a meet,'' said Roth, who finished third.

Not the worst thing. The kid from Texas can tell you there are much worse things that can happen during a pole vault competition.

— Paul Buker

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:32 am

Results still have lots of errors...

Code: Select all

Event 14  Men Pole Vault
=================================================================================
 Progression: 5.00 - 5.15 - 5.30 - 5.40 - 5.45 then 5cm                         
 Single pit. 5-alive until fewer than 9 at a given height                       
 One hour time limit (Rule 6-1.11) in effect                                     
    American: A 6.04m  6/8/2008    Brad Walker, Nike                             
College Best: C 5.98m  5/25/1996   Lawrence Johnson, Tennessee                   
   NCAA Meet: M 5.82m  5/29/1996   Lawrence Johnson, Tennessee                   
     Hayward: S 6.04m  2008        Brad Walker, USA                             
    Name                    Year School                  Finals            Points
=================================================================================
Finals                                                                           
  1 Jordan Scott              SR Kansas                   5.40m   17-08.50  10   
     5.00 5.15 5.30 5.40 5.45                                                   
      PPP  PPP    O    O  XXX                                                   
  2 Josh Dominguez            SR LSU                      5.40m   17-08.50   8   
     5.00 5.15 5.30 5.40 5.45                                                   
      XXO  XXO  XXO   XO  XXX                                                   
  3 Nick Frawley              SR Air Force                5.30m   17-04.50   5.50
     5.00 5.15 5.30 5.40                                                         
      PPP    O    O  XXX                                                         
  3 Scott Roth                JR Washington               5.30m   17-04.50   5.50
     5.00 5.15 5.30 5.40                                                         
      PPP  PPP    O  XXX                                                         
  5 Jeffrey Coover            SR Indiana                  5.30m   17-04.50   3.50
     5.00 5.15 5.30 5.40                                                         
      PPP    O   XO  XXX                                                         
  5 Brandon Estrada           SR Southern California      5.30m   17-04.50   3.50
     5.00 5.15 5.30 5.40                                                         
      PPP  PPP   XO  XXX                                                         
  7 Jared Jodon               JR Virginia Tech            5.30m   17-04.50   2   
     5.00 5.15 5.30 5.40                                                         
        O   XO   XO  XXX                                                         
  8 Kevin Schipper            SO Notre Dame               5.30m   17-04.50   1   
     5.00 5.15 5.30 5.40                                                         
      PPP    O  XXO  XXX                                                         
  9 Cody Doerflein            SO Southern Illinois        5.30m   17-04.50       
     5.00 5.15 5.30 5.40                                                         
       XO    O  XXO  XXX                                                         
 10 Yavgeniy Olhovsky         SR Virginia Tech            5.30m   17-04.50       
     5.00 5.15 5.30 5.40                                                         
      XXO    O  XXO  XXX                                                         
 11 Ryan Vu                   JR Washington               5.15m   16-10.75       
     5.00 5.15 5.30                                                             
        O    O  XXX                                                             
 11 Parker Smith              JR North Carolina           5.15m   16-10.75       
     5.00 5.15 5.30                                                             
        O    O  XXX                                                             
 13 Connor Landry             JR California               5.15m   16-10.75       
     5.00 5.15 5.30                                                             
      PPP    O  XXX                                                             
 14 Xavier Tromp              SR Clemson                  5.15m   16-10.75       
     5.00 5.15 5.30                                                             
      PPP   XO  XXX                                                             
 15 Elliott Haynie            SR South Carolina           5.15m   16-10.75       
     5.00 5.15 5.30                                                             
      XXO  XXO  XXX                                                             
 16 Jeremy Klas               SO Idaho                    5.00m   16-04.75       
     5.00 5.15                                                                   
        O  XXX                                                                   
 16 Michael Seaman            SO Samford                  5.00m   16-04.75       
     5.00 5.15                                                                   
        O  XXX                                                                   
 18 Shea Kearney              SO Rice                     5.00m   16-04.75       
     5.00 5.15 5.30                                                             
       XO  PPP  XXX                                                             
 18 Robert Rasnick            FR Tennessee                5.00m   16-04.75       
     5.00 5.15                                                                   
       XO  XXX                                                                   
 20 Chris Little              JR Brigham Young            5.00m   16-04.75       
     5.00 5.15                                                                   
      XXO  XXX                                                                   
 20 Eric Sparks               SR Purdue                   5.00m   16-04.75       
     5.00 5.15                                                                   
      XXO  XXX                                                                   
 -- Jason Colwick             SR Rice                        NH                 
     5.00 5.15 5.30                                                             
      PPP  PPP  XXX                                                             
 -- Hayden Clark              FR Texas                       NH                 
     5.00                                                                       
      XXX                                                                       
 -- Brad Holtz                SR Tennessee                   NH                 
     5.00                                                                       
      XXX                                                                       

10 Yavgeniy Olhovsky SR Virginia Tech 5.30m 17-04.50
5.00 5.15 5.30 5.40
XXO O XXO XXX

He passed 5.00, these attempts were at the incorrect height. This will leave him tied for 8th instead of 10th.

15 Elliott Haynie SR South Carolina 5.15m 16-10.75
5.00 5.15 5.30
XXO XXO XXX

Same, though this does not change places.

20 Chris Little JR Brigham Young 5.00m 16-04.75
5.00 5.15
XXO XXX
20 Eric Sparks SR Purdue 5.00m 16-04.75
5.00 5.15
XXO XXX

Sorry, but these two guys actually NH'd, because their makes were at the non-counting height.

chasing6
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former Collegiate Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, Coach (all-levels), Die-Hard Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.23m

Unread postby chasing6 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:30 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:In this case, that would be 16-4 3/4, although Texas freshman Hayden Clark (he had company) froze after the 'c' and the 'a' and couldn't clear it.

This bugs me. If you're going to mention people who no height, list them all or just say "x number of people"... don't just call out the freshman and then say that he is the pole vault equivalent to a first grader with stage fright and poor spelling. Just seems a little insulting to me.

On a lighter note: congrats to this year's All-Americans... it's always tough getting through a comp that's so drawn out and riddled with mistakes.
Whether you believe you can or cannot, you're right.

http://www.fiveringsproject.org

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: NCAA MPV - J Scott 5.40, Dominguez 5.40, Roth, Frawley 5.30

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:57 pm

OK the latest I have heard is that the games committee decided to count the attempts at the fake 5.15 for the people who had passed 5.00.

First, that is a bulls*** decision.

Second, they weren't consistent with how they applied it.
:mad: :deadrose: :no:

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:30 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:OK the latest I have heard is that the games committee decided to count the attempts at the fake 5.15 for the people who had passed 5.00.

First, that is a bulls*** decision.

Second, they weren't consistent with how they applied it.
:mad: :deadrose: :no:

Counted as what 2nd clearances at 5.00? A clearance at 5.15?
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Counted them as attempts at 5.00. But only for the athletes who had previously passed 5.00, the athletes who already made 5.00, they kept their original attempts.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:46 pm

So if Olhovsky had missed three times at the fake 5.15, he would have been better off because they would not have counted it.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:16 pm

OK to summarize the NCAA mistakes as they stand now:

Vaulters who passed 5.00m, jumped at the fake 5.15m, and then had their fake 5.15 jumps COUNT as 5.00m jumps:
Olhovsky
Haynie
Little
Sparks

Vaulters who passed 5.00m, jumped at the fake 5.15m, and had those jumps NOT count:
Frawley
Landry
Coover
Schipper

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:23 pm

dominguez515.JPG
(493.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet

This is the bar after Josh Dominguez's 3rd attempt 5.15m clear.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:27 pm

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/vi ... id/4204579

NCAA track: Klas can't recover from officials' blunder
Friday, June 11, 2010 5:02 PM

(Source: Lewiston Morning Tribune, Idaho)By Dale Grummert, Lewiston Morning Tribune, Idaho
Jun. 11--EUGENE, Ore. -- Two vaults into his first NCAA Outdoor, Jeremy Klas looked like a surprise ready to happen.

As it turned out, the surprise was on him.

An embarrassing mistake by pole-vault officials negated seemingly successful clearances by Klas and others Thursday night, and the Idaho sophomore from Moscow never recovered.

A protest was lodged and initially raised the Vandals' hopes for a reprieve, but the final ruling went the other way and Klas was relegated to 16th place on another wet and windy day at the NCAA track and field meet at Hayward Field.

"I'm just really disappointed in the whole situation," Klas said. "I was jumping really well."

Gabby Midles of Idaho was also a nonscorer, taking 13th in the women's hammer throw.

Pole-vaulters were almost entirely through three rounds of attempts at the ostensible height of 16 feet, 103/4 inches when officials realized they had failed to raise the bar from the opening height of 16-43/4.

They decided to start over at the proper height, giving everyone -- including those who had missed three times at the wrong height -- a new set of chances. Klas, switching poles because of changing wind patterns, missed three times at the correct height, once grazing the bar with his chin on the way down and another time touching it with his chest, again on the descent.

What frustrated the Idaho camp was that the mistake benefited vaulters who were jumping poorly early in the competition, while working against Klas, who had initially looked the sharpest among those who didn't pass on the early heights.

"It's very unbelievable," Vandal vertical-jumps coach Jason Graham said during a rain delay in the vault. "It (the mistake) helped so many people -- people who are jumping right now and would have been out of the competition. That's why I can't even watch the competition right now."

Interestingly, Klas cleared the wrong height by a comfortable margin -- more than the 6 inches he would have needed if the bar had been raised.

"I think I would have had no problem if they had set the standard correctly the first time," the former state prep champion from Moscow High said. "I wasn't worried about it at all. I just know that it felt good when I was jumping. I knew I was quite a ways over."

Idaho co-coach Wayne Phipps approached officials to file a protest and learned a BYU coach had already done so, basically on behalf of vaulters whose successful jumps were negated. While officials conferred, Klas was allowed to return to the field and begin warming up.

But the appeal was eventually denied.
"You don't expect something like that to happen at an NCAA championship, when someone forgets to move the bar up," Phipps said. "But things happen and you deal with it. You're upset at the time, but ultimately we did everything we could to try to rectify it."

His assistant, Graham, said he wishes he had been watching the officials more closely.

"When Jeremy made his first attempt, I left the area to go back to the runway to talk to him (from the stands nearby)," he said. "I figured, of the dozen people running the competition, someone was paying attention. Huge mistake on my part."

zipsDIGSpv
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach

Unread postby zipsDIGSpv » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Doerflein did not pass 5.00 meters and only took one jump at 5.00 number 2 before they figured out their blunder so as I understand it that miss doesn't count because he cleared the real 5 meters. It was frustrating for us because if the bar really was 5.15 when it should have been Dominguez would have been out and Doerflein would have been All-American - not to take anything away from Dominguez I am glad he could capitalize but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
I beat my body and make it my slave
-I Corinthians 9:26-27

Return to “Pole Vault - College”