learning to pole vault?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

diver07
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

learning to pole vault?

Unread postby diver07 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:44 am

I'm a college student who's been a diver on the swimming and diving team for 3 years. I recently had to quit, and have had a hard time coping with it. Athletics have always been a huge part of my life. Before diving, I was a gymnast for 8 years. I've always wanted to try pole vaulting. Originally, when I quit gym it's what I wanted to do, but didn't know where to go to learn. I'm wondering if it's ridiculous to ask the track coach if I could walk on to the team? Could I learn fairly quickly? I'm very strong and athletic. I believe I'd have 2 years of eligibility left. I'd appreciate any replies.

Thanks

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: learning to pole vault?

Unread postby dj » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:01 am

good morning,

what part of the country are you? do they have other vaulters?

check on here (PVP) on how to hold the pole, carry and run with the pole (Petrov style)... then try "sand vaulting" with a low grip.. there's a video..

get the run and carry down.. use my Six step "MID" chart thats in here.. and a plant and your gynastics will help you dothe rest...

dj

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:03 am

It just depends on the school.

But at most schools, college track training starts in the fall. There's a good chance that if they say yes, they'll say come back in the fall.

diver07
PV Newbie

Unread postby diver07 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:13 am

I go to the University of Alabama. It looks like they have one vaulter right now. Thanks for the info and reply.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:34 am

diver07 wrote:I go to the University of Alabama. It looks like they have one vaulter right now. Thanks for the info and reply.

Yeah you should definitely talk to the coaches, but I can pretty much guarantee at a school like that they won't do anything with you right now. It's important to talk with them though, because they might want to evaluate you to see if you have enough speed to have potential, and they'll let you know what you need to do between now and next fall... or they might just decline your offer and not be interested at all. You won't know until you ask!

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:42 pm

When I was in college the walk ons came out and helped put the bar up during practice and then got to jump afterwards. That would be a good way to make some friends, help out and get involved. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:50 am

Bubba PV wrote:When I was in college the walk ons came out and helped put the bar up during practice and then got to jump afterwards. That would be a good way to make some friends, help out and get involved. Bubba

And learn more about the event :yes:

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:02 am

good morning

get in touch with Doug Fraley in New Orleans.. go down and spend a weekend.. he also knows some vault coaches in Mobil or closer to you.

get and intro.. if you have a red shirt year and two years to jump... it could be do-able..

BUTT I’m not sure if Harvey puts much emphasis on the vault at Alabama so you will have to "step up" and go for it on your own.

dj

diver07
PV Newbie

Unread postby diver07 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:32 am

dj wrote:good morning

get in touch with Doug Fraley in New Orleans.. go down and spend a weekend.. he also knows some vault coaches in Mobil or closer to you.

get and intro.. if you have a red shirt year and two years to jump... it could be do-able..

BUTT I’m not sure if Harvey puts much emphasis on the vault at Alabama so you will have to "step up" and go for it on your own.

dj

Do you by chance have his number or email address? I looked him up but couldn't find a way to contact him. I'd love to work with him for a weekend and get an honest opinion on whether or not I have any potential. Harvey is actually the men's coach. Sandy Fowler is the women's coach. Do you know anything about her?

Thanks

xjoeyx
PV Whiz
Expertise: Current College Vaulter, BIG FAN
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby xjoeyx » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:24 am

dfraley@MardiGrasTrackClub.com I googled this email up. Not sure if it's current still or whatnot but it's all i found. Good luck though!! If someone wants to try it enough, then they deserve at least a shot :yes:

P.S. This is off-topic, but do you know BJ from the alabama swim team? I graduated with him last year from high school :P
"You can have confidence without success but you can't have success without confidence"

diver07
PV Newbie

Unread postby diver07 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:26 am

xjoeyx wrote:dfraley@MardiGrasTrackClub.com I googled this email up. Not sure if it's current still or whatnot but it's all i found. Good luck though!! If someone wants to try it enough, then they deserve at least a shot :yes:

P.S. This is off-topic, but do you know BJ from the alabama swim team? I graduated with him last year from high school :P

Thanks!I found that as well, just wasn't sure if it was current.
And yes I know BJ. He's done well this year. haha small world!

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:47 am

hey

i'll pm you with some other info for doug

Doug will be awesome...

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - College”