eton606
PV Newbie
Expertise: Vaulter for 10 yeaers, College level coach for 3 years
Lifetime Best: 4.30m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: My Athletes

Reviewing film during competition

Unread postby eton606 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:35 am

The rule book states that a coach my not use cameras and other various electronic devices in a competition area.

However is it allowed for a coach to review a video of a jump and then coach his/her athlete regarding what they have seen.

IT is my interpretation that since not all athletes are able to see the film then no one is allowed. What is the actual rule regarding this matter?

and is thre a difference amongst the different levels of competition? ie High school, college div I, College Division III and elite

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Re: Reviewing film during competition

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Yes there are different rules in different levels. I have seen many college coaches looking at video before coaching a kid so I assume it is legal in NCAA but I would check real close. In Texas high school neither the coach or the athlete can look at video, pictures, etc until the end of the competition. AAU, USATF, NCAA, IAAF, National Federation, NAIA etc all have their own rules.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Generally all levels of the NCAA and the NAIA follow the same rules (the NCAA rule book) when it comes to how a competition is run.

You can view the NCAA rule book online for free. I don't think there is a rule at the college level that prohibits coaches from filming and viewing the film, but you'd have to check it yourself.

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:45 pm

I see this all the time. I saw this at Nebraska this past weekend. The coach was in the stands, then would relay the info from the video while the athlete was on the competition floor. I would suggest asking an official at the next meet and bring a camera if he approves it.

Divalent
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent
Lifetime Best: 0-00.00

Unread postby Divalent » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:18 am

Under NFHS rules, it is okay for a coach (or anyone else) to view photos and videos to coach the athlete; the only restriction is that the athlete may not view them. Rule 4-5-8-g; see also the casebook (I have 2009 version, which I can't locate it right now, but the casebook situation specifically notes that a coach viewing a video to instruct the athlete is legal).

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:26 am

This was posted in the college forum, so let's keep the discussion specific to what the rules are at the collegiate level.

PVR
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby PVR » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:50 am

NCAA Rule 4, Section 3, Article 11. If you are coaching your athlete, you are considered in the competition area.

The Archetype
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.30
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis

Unread postby The Archetype » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:06 pm

This is not as clear as it should be...

NCAA Rule 4 Section 3 Article 10 finishes with this line... "An area outside the competition area, as close as feasible to the competition, shall be reserved for coaches."

But right before that it states, "A portion of the normal competition area shall not be set aside for coaches in any championships competition, unless authorized by the games committee. When authorized, this area remains part of the competition area."

So if they authorize a portion of the normal competition area (which can include the warm-up area) to be set aside for coaches, in that case, article 11 would apply right?
"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"

eton606
PV Newbie

Unread postby eton606 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:07 pm

After reviewing the rule book it really does not state here nor there regarding the issue. It is my interpretation of the rule that since not every athlete is able to have this technology at there disposal that no one is allowed to do it because it is an unfair advantage. I feel as if it is what can separate one coach from another being able to breakdown the jump and fix problems with the naked eye. Anyone can watch film and know what to fix. I believe it is the better coaches that can see a vault in real time and be able to notice the ques to improve the next jump.

If this isn't a rule I believe all coaches should at least follow the "unwritten" rule

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:44 pm

eton606 wrote:If this isn't a rule I believe all coaches should at least follow the "unwritten" rule

Why? What difference is it to you if another coach watches video? If you think you can coach better without it, how does it hurt you to have someone else reviewing it?

eton606
PV Newbie

Unread postby eton606 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:25 am

I cant tell better than a coach who is watching film. That gives them an advantage. Im all for watching it but only if they actually state it in the rule book. I can not tell what to fix better than a coach watching film. I don't know any coach that could honestly.

Divalent
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent
Lifetime Best: 0-00.00

Unread postby Divalent » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:33 pm

In an effort to pin down the answer to the original question in my mind, I'll try to summarize the comments above.
Per NCAA rules (as stated above, not my own reading):

- Coaches cannot use/view cameras/video/photos in the "competition area"
- Coaches are free to use/view cameras/video/photos outside the competition area
- A segment of the "competition area" reserved for coaches is still the "competition area"
- - But above rule only applies to segments of the "competition area"
- - IOW, a coach in the stands (or elsewhere) not in the "competition area" is not restricted, even though (for example) that portion of the stands might be reserved for coaches (e.g., so they get priority access)

So, there is no general prohibition against using cameras, etc. as long as you are not in a competition area (and athlete does not view them). So, for example, a coach in the stands right next to the pit is free to use the technology, even though the MD might have roped off some seating just for coaches. But a coach in a coaching box next to a pit on the infield would be restricted.

Is that an accurate summary of what the rules permit?

BTW, the issue of whether it is "fair" or not is separate. (And like Becca, I tend to thing it is fine, since all coaches are limited in the same way. It may be true that a coach that uses video has an advantage over one that doesn't, and if so, his/her athletes have an advantage. But its also true that a coached athlete has an advantage over an uncoached athlete, and an athlete with a great coach has an advantage of one with a poor coach, etc.)

Return to “Pole Vault - College”