Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Sutej sets meet record at Penn Relays

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sun May 01, 2011 11:17 am

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewA ... =205144428

PHILADELPHIA - Tina Sutej, a member of the No. 11 University of Arkansas women's track and field team, won the pole vault Friday evening at the 117th Penn Relays at historic Franklin Field in Philadelphia. The victory, in a meet-record performance, is the second straight for Sutej at the prestigious event and the Razorbacks' sixth pole vault Penn Relays title and 14th win overall.

"I really don't think about (setting records)," Sutej said. "I just try to jump my best and go for my PR, and if that happens to be a meet record, that's so much better."

She entered the championship section of the pole vault at 13-3.5 and clinched the win with her mark at 14-3.25. Sutej's winning clearance of 14-7.25 eclipses the previous Penn Relays record of 13-10.5 set by Rachel Laurent of LSU during the 2009 event. This season alone, she has set the meet records at the New Balance Collegiate Invitational (14-7.25), SEC Indoor Championships (14-10.75), Texas Relays (14-9) and Penn Relays (14-7.25).

Sutej is the first two-time Penn Relays pole vault champion and adds to Arkansas' list of success in the event. The Razorbacks have six wins in the past nine years-April Steiner (2003), Stacie Manuel (2004), Jodi Unger (2006), Katie Stripling (2007) and Sutej (2010, '11). The win for Sutej runs her winning streak to 11 events dating back to the start of the indoor season. Along the way, her lowest winning clearance of the year is 14-1.25 at the Razorback Spring Invitational.

"I was sitting up there watching the 10 o'clock start back up (after the rain) when coach called to tell me (the championship section) was going to start as soon as they were done," Sutej said. "Usually, you have one hour on the runway and then 30-40 minutes right before that but today, all together, was about 50 minutes so it was about half my normal warm-up. But I don't think it made a difference."
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

Muzgar15
PV Fan
Expertise: 19-year old vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.11 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Sutej sets meet record at Penn Relays

Unread postby Muzgar15 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Go Tina! Slovenia is proud of you.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”