jwhUCSD
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: SERGEI BUBKA

Hopes to vault in College

Unread postby jwhUCSD » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:48 am

So basically I am a highschool senior and will be attending UC San Diego this fall. Our school started a vault program last year, (my junior year), and I immediately became involved. I have had about 45 days total experience on the runway in the past two seasons and recently shattered my PR of 11'6" by going 12'6" at our sectional meet. I credit this in many ways to finally getting on a better pole albeit the day before the meet. I was extremely close to 13', just brushing off the bar with my chest. Anyways, I basically feel that I have an incredible amount of untapped potential and would greatly desire to continue vaulting in college. UCSD is a D2 college and I am curious as to whether, with my lack of experience taken into account, you all would think they would take me on. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
John

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Hopes to vault in College

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:04 am

The only way you'll ever find out is to contact the head coach. Schools vary widely as to how many male walk-ons they'll take.

steltl
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former Collegiate Vaulter - Minnesota State, Mankato
Lifetime Best: 13'6"

Unread postby steltl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:33 am

Exactly, D2 schools do vary a lot in terms of depth on each team. You should contact the head coach, explain your situation and my guess is they'll have you practice with the team and try it out for a while and see what happens! It sounds like you have a lot of initiative and drive and from a coach's standpoint those are wonderful characteristics to have in their athlete. Sounds like you do have a lot of potential, good luck!
Lauren Stelten

drakevaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11"6'
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby drakevaulter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:27 am

Just talk to the coach. I took up pole vaulting for fun this past year (my senior year) and after a little over a month I reached 11" 6'. I will be vaulting at a DI school next year. Most likely, the coach will say something along the lines of how it's a huge commitment and if you're up to it they'll let you join the team.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”