mshafe
PV Newbie
Expertise: 3 time NCAA Div I All American
Lifetime Best: 5.50
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Top ten College Pole Vault Programs in the country

Unread postby mshafe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:57 am

If you guys ever check this thread again, I encourage you to look at the "Collegiate Fairy Dust" post.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Carl Erickson-Baylor

hye

not a better coach or better man.., love and respect you Carl and the time i got to be around and observe your work. it helped me know exactly where i needed to go in my coaching of the vault as well as the other events....

not just the best one legged pole vault coach in the world but one of THE best pole vault coaches in the world...

best regards

dj (Dave Johnston)
Last edited by dj on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndreasD
PV Newbie
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.23m
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby AndreasD » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Is this a top ten list of the upcoming season or all time??

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby PV2020 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:37 pm

Think it went more towards currently the top ten pole vault programs. So like if you are a college high school kid what would be the 10 best vault programs to consider. Or something along those lines.

I am not a big fan at looking at any all time list, because the coaches responsible for all the top marks over the past 20 years are probably not there any more unless it is VT or UCLA.

I think LSU could make a good argument returning three 5.20+ vaulters next year. And what is the tallest one? Like 5'8?

AndreasD
PV Newbie
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.23m
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby AndreasD » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:58 am

PV2020 wrote:Think it went more towards currently the top ten pole vault programs. So like if you are a college high school kid what would be the 10 best vault programs to consider. Or something along those lines.

I am not a big fan at looking at any all time list, because the coaches responsible for all the top marks over the past 20 years are probably not there any more unless it is VT or UCLA.

I think LSU could make a good argument returning three 5.20+ vaulters next year. And what is the tallest one? Like 5'8?

Exactly! You can't look at old Schools that HAD good vaulters, If this is the case Abilene Christian would be the best because back in the day they had three 18 footers at one time.

It should go by depth, Sure Arkansas has irwin and UCLA has Woepse, but that is as deep as they go. Tennessee has a 5.40 jumper, an incoming freshman who jump 5.45 (i think) and a 5.20 jumper. Virginia Tech had depth last year with but I'm not sure how many were seniors last year. At LSU we have two 5.30 jumpers, one 5.20 and a 5.10 guy, and all four qualified for regionals. Kansas also has depth with a 5.30, a 5.20+ guy and other 5 meter guys.

I hate to toot my own horn but I think LSU is being overlooked

hiphipjorge
PV Beginner
Favorite Vaulter: Chad Harting

Unread postby hiphipjorge » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:37 am

maybe this thread has been played out but just in case- the lists need to be updated. The University of South Dakota has come on strong the last two years and now have 2 young 14' girls. The only school to have 2 vaulters in the top 8 at NCAA's. Their guys are on the move as well. A program to keep an eye on because they are moving fast!

LoriLS
PV Newbie
Expertise: parent
Lifetime Best: 11.2

Unread postby LoriLS » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:49 am

We get it --women pole vaulters rock --can anyone rattle off the top 10 for the men--not of all time etc., just the top 10 colleges with the best men pole vaulting --Thanks

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Well her it comes......best is not the highest or the most wins it is the "coach" that can get the greatest amount of improvement from entry into a program, to graduation. Guys and Gals that already jump high only need guidance to keep doing what they are already doing.. A great coach as stated awhile back by Bubba is the coach that takes a nobody and makes them a High vulting somebody. Schools are not really relevant to IMPROVEMENT ......its the indian....not the arrow!

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 pm

hiphipjorge wrote:maybe this thread has been played out but just in case- the lists need to be updated. The University of South Dakota has come on strong the last two years and now have 2 young 14' girls. The only school to have 2 vaulters in the top 8 at NCAA's. Their guys are on the move as well. A program to keep an eye on because they are moving fast!

At NCAA regionals, USD was the only school that made me say they were well coached top to bottom. Each of those girls and guys vaulted with the exact same technique. None had glaring bad habits and they were only separated by raw talent. World class vaulters don't often make great coaches but Miles is on his way to being an exception to the rule. He's done a fantastic job so far.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

jonheath
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby jonheath » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:32 pm

In 9 years at Grand Valley State University, Lou Andreadis has coached 40 All Americans and 6 National Champions. Pretty sure I have not heard of anyone even close to those numbers. Yes it is Division II, but his guy jumped 5.50. He has a girl that just jumed 4.23 and he sent me the video, let's say she has room for a good 2 more bars. Don't be surprised if she's one of the top vaulters in the country soon. He has one of the best indoor facility in the country, a new 300m track. 2 board runways/pits. A new outdoor track. Gymnastics... pool... bascially, you won't find a better training situation anywhere else. There are places on par with what he has available, but none better. At that, you still need to know what you're doing and 40 All Americans and 6 National Champions in only 9 years pretty much sets that straight.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”