Overall Quality of Mens Pole Vault in NCAA?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

MSTC
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current college coach and club director. Former, college, high school vaulter.
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Core

Overall Quality of Mens Pole Vault in NCAA?

Unread postby MSTC » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:30 pm

What do people think of the quality of mens pole vault in the country?

kewh
PV Nerd
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt

Re: Overall Quality of Mens Pole Vault in NCAA?

Unread postby kewh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:37 am

It is down, no question. What more can be said. But if you are referring to the NCAA meet, we started with a cross wind, then a head wind, then it rained, then we had no wind, Then a tail wind briefly, then back to a heavy cross wind. All the vaulters were affected at one time or another.

titanpv07
PV Wannabe
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.00m
Favorite Vaulter: dean starkey!

Unread postby titanpv07 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:12 am

gotta love Drake and the midwest
"How can you say the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon"

dbwsportz
PV Fan

Unread postby dbwsportz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 pm

It sounds like the vaulting conditions were similar to the last NCAAs at Drake in 2008. Changing, swirling, and unpredictable winds.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:52 pm

Well since the only American to hit the Olympic A standard so far was the NCAA champion, Id say its not doing too awful. No Skippers or LoJos this year but there were four 18 footers.

MSTC
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current college coach and club director. Former, college, high school vaulter.

Unread postby MSTC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Lets look at the early and mid 90's. When there were several 18' jumpers. I know 18' jumpers that didnt even make it to the national meet back in the 90's. Im just curious to find out what people think is different now than back then.

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Unread postby kcvault » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:30 pm

Lets look at the early and mid 90's. When there were several 18' jumpers. I know 18' jumpers that didn't even make it to the national meet back in the 90's. I'm just curious to find out what people think is different now than back then.

I have talked to coaches who quit coaching college in the 1990s because all of there athletes were juicing, there is a reason most of are track and field records were set in the 1990's. Also there was a lot more scholarships for men in the 1990's then there are now (women did not jump then now scholarship money goes to them or at least is split look how will women have jumped in the 2000's) I believe all of the 18ft jumpers who are in college now are clean, I'm sure sometime in the future someone will come along who is as talented as LJ or Tommy skipper.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:50 pm

MSTC wrote:I know 18' jumpers that didnt even make it to the national meet back in the 90's. Im just curious to find out what people think is different now than back then.

The vault is down but I think people look at the past with rose colored glasses. The highest auto qualifier mark back before the regional system was 5.52 (18'1 1/2"), IIRC. So, 18' would've easily been a provisional qualifying mark unless the field was completely full of 5.52+ vaulters which I don't think ever happened. Usually everyone at the provisional mark of around 5.37 got in. 5.30-5.35 (17'4 3/4" - 17'6 3/4") has always made All American. Only one time in NCAA meet history have 5 vaulters cleared 5.50 or better.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

MSTC
PV Beginner

Unread postby MSTC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Before I reply, I would like to congratualte Roth on another title. That is an awesome accomplishment. Solid jumping!!

I think we can look at a couple scenarios that play into development and performance. 1) Some states in this country are limiting pole vault in the country. Take Utah for instance, there is no womens vault in the state and to jump the district regulates were athletes can jump. It is awesome to see schools like Desert Vista in AZ that produces vaulters at a high level on a constant basis. 2) Because of this lack of training, college coaches have to spend more time on developing athletes to not just vault safely and correctly, but how to run, lift, and train properly in order to perform at a high level.

carryabigstick
PV Fan

Unread postby carryabigstick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:05 pm

8th place was 5.50 in like 1991/1992

Things hurting todays college pole vaulters:
1. short pegs
2. rounded cross bar end pieces
3. regional system; once guys get regional mark, no real motivation to try and jump really high every meet
4. championship sites with less than optimal winds/weather
5. regional system, top guys get knocked out waiting for the masses and they have to try and hold their peak for 6 weeks between conference and ncaa final
6. distractions: facebook, smartphones, internet, twitter, video games, etc. etc. etc
7. pole vault coaches have their time split between men and women these days
8. global warming :crying:
"pole vaulters are made in the last 4 strides"

kewh
PV Nerd
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt

Unread postby kewh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 pm

I believe all of the 18ft jumpers who are in college now are clean, I'm sure sometime in the future someone will come along who is as talented as LJ or Tommy skipper.

My son has been tested twice in two years of college.

MSTC
PV Beginner

Unread postby MSTC » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:57 pm

The NCAA does that random drug testing system now. I have seen the same people constantly get tested and others not. Its a bad system and sometimes unfair how they do it.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”