Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:39 am

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... /106300314

Home grown
9:00 PM, Jun. 29, 2011 | Comments
Written by
Brady Aymond
FILED UNDER
Sports

When dreams collide with opportunity, it can often be a glorious thing.

One of Lon Badeaux's dreams was to coach track and field at his alma mater, UL.

When the opportunity presented itself, Badeaux never once hesitated.

And on Wednesday morning, it became official as the former Arkansas State head coach was named the new head track and field/cross country coach at UL.

"I am beyond excited," Badeaux said. "This has always been a dream of mine. When I decided I wanted to be a coach, the ultimate goal would be to come back to Lafayette."

The hire is pending approval by the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors.

"We found the right fit for our track & field and cross country program," interim UL Athletic Director Scott Farmer said in the University's press release. "He fits exactly what we were looking for with a proven record of success as a head coach.

"Lon knows the area as a native of New Iberia, the University as a former student-athlete and he has spent his entire career coaching and competing in the Sun Belt Conference."

The position came open back in October when coach Charlie Mahfouz resigned for health issues. Paula Ogunbanjo took over in the interim and coached the Cajuns during the outdoor season.

"I looked at (the opening in October), but I didn't apply the first time around," Badeaux said. "It wasn't professional to leave in the middle of the season. But I've always had my eye on this job. When it opened again (in the spring), I applied."

The good news for current Cajun track and field athletes, as well as fans, is that Badeaux plans to keep the staff intact.

"When I interviewed, one of the directives was I wanted to keep Paula," Badeaux said. "I think she's done an excellent job with the jumpers and has done a great job recruiting. We're going to keep pretty much all of the staff.

"The main change is we're going to hire a distance coach. We haven't been very good in the distance events and that's going to be a main focus for us to try to get better."

Badeaux is a 1996 graduate of UL and was an indoor All-American pole vaulter for the Cajuns. Naturally, pole vaulting is still near and dear to his heart, and he plans on exploiting the Acadiana area's rich pole vaulting tradition, which started to develop when Badeaux was in high school at New Iberia.

"Trust me, we're going to rule that in the next couple of years," Badeaux said. "That and the multis, I'm real big into that. Those are two areas people can expect to see an immediate impact. I really don't like losing those events.

"Having Greg (Duplantis) around and his knowledge, we see things on the same level. I take great pride in the pole vault. I was the first person to beat Arkansas State in the pole vault. While I was at UL, I was coaching a lot of high school kids that went on to have success at state and at the next level. It really started off back then and it's really grown down there. There's a bunch of very good vaulters in that area and a bunch of good coaches helping grow that sport."

During his time at Arkansas State, Badeaux produced 69 Sun Belt Conference champions, 53 regional qualifiers and 19 national qualifiers. He had seven athletes reach All-American status and one Olympian.

"I've coached here (at ASU) for 11 years," Badeaux said. "I took over four years ago and it took us 3-4 years to get going, but this year was a banner year. We broke 13 school records on the girls' side. But to be honest, home is home. Arkansas is not the same as Louisiana.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Re: Lon Badeaux from Ark St to Lou. Lafayette

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:51 am

I hate to see Lon go, but I understand how he feels about going "home". He's done a great job at my alma mater, ASU, and I know he'll do a great job where ever he goes! Lon always took care of the kids I sent him and I know they are going to miss him!

Return to “Pole Vault - College”