PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Lawrence Johnson Resigns

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:24 pm

http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/sports/ ... 11aab.html

By Miquel Jacobs
Media Relations Assistant

COLUMBIA, S.C. - South Carolina track and field assistant coach Lawrence Johnson has resigned from his position, head coach Curtis Frye announced Tuesday. Throughout his four years at South Carolina, Johnson has been responsible for coaching the pole vault athletes in addition to spending his first two seasons as recruiting coordinator. Current assistant coach Kevin Brown will assume the position as pole vault coach in the 2011-12 season.

In his four seasons at South Carolina, Johnson coached his athletes to two SEC titles, five All-America honors, 17 NCAA qualifiers, an NCAA East Region silver medalist, an SEC Championship silver medalist and five SEC Championship bronze medalists.

"It was a tremendous opportunity to be associated with the Gamecocks," Johnson said. "It was a pleasure, and I really appreciate Coach Frye for giving me the opportunity to work with the vaulters the past four years. I fee like we've done a lot to uphold the Gamecock tradition for the pole vault. I'll always remain a fan of the Gamecocks and a supporter of Gamecock athletics."

Johnson will work full-time on his company, Vault Assault Online, which will focus on pole vault coaching, athlete support and provide instruction videos online.

"Lawrence decided to venture into the business end to continue working with his company, Vault Assault Online," Frye said. "That will benefit the state of South Carolina in the event of pole vault. We wish him the very best and think that this step will be able to reach people around the world. This will benefit not only South Carolina but the sport in general in developing technology to benefit student-athletes."

Brown is entering the third year of his second stint at South Carolina and seventh season overall. Brown, who also works with South Carolina's sprints and relays, returns to the role that he held from 2000-2004. Under Brown's tutelage as pole vault coach for the Gamecocks, Chris Steddum placed fourth at the 2002 NCAA Outdoor Championships, a mark that is tied with rising senior Marvin Reitze as the top finish in program history. Brown coached the only athlete to jump over 18-feet in a Gamecock uniform.

"We've elevated Kevin Brown to pole vault coach due to the massive amount of experience that he has with the event," Frye said. "Coach Brown has coached more 17-foot jumpers at South Carolina than anyone in Gamecock history, including athletes like Steddum, Jared Farabee, Patrick Tvarkunas and Dan McKenzie. He's a great ambassador for Gamecock track and field with will continue to strengthen our pole vault and recruiting efforts."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Lawrence Johnson Resigns

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:30 pm

I guess LoJo is serious about that comeback!

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz
Expertise: current college vaulter, former USATF and high school coach
Favorite Vaulter: David spivey, scott roth

Re: Lawrence Johnson Resigns

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:53 pm

seems so. Probably with the state of the world pole vault standards he probably feels he can make a big impact in london 2012. i guess we shall find out.
loving life, making progress, exceeding expectations

Return to “Pole Vault - College”