Keith Webber vaults for the record books (Montana)

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Keith Webber vaults for the record books (Montana)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:47 pm

http://www.montanakaimin.com/sports/web ... z3NT5hAe1I

Webb vaults for the record books
By Austin Schempp

Published: Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Updated: Thursday, February 16, 2012 02:02

Junior Keith Webber practices pole vaulting in the West Auxiliary Gym in the Adams Center Wednesday morning. Webber has been pole vaulting since his freshman year in high school, and is one of only two full-time pole-vaulters at UM.

On Feb. 3, junior pole-vaulter Keith Webber sprinted down the runway, dug his pole into the box, sprang his body up over the high bar and fell onto the pit.

For Webber, falling into the pit after clearing the bar is "one of the best feelings in the world, almost surreal."
However, this vault was different. On his third attempt, Webber successfully vaulted a 16-1.75 bar. This was the first time in his career that he cleared 16 feet.

"It was great. I was really, really happy," he said. "I had been trying to do that since my senior year of high school."
Breaking 16 feet was a big accomplishment in Webber's career. But he doesn't want to stop there. He has bigger goals — and heights — in mind for the rest of his career.

In the remaining time Webber has on Montana's track and field team, he hopes to qualify for nationals, beat both the indoor and outdoor school records for the pole vault and become an All-American.

Adam Bork, in his fifth year as a full-time assistant coach, coaches the multi-events, high jump, long jump, triple jump and pole vault.
Bork was an All-American decathlete for Montana and holds the school record for both the indoor and outdoor pole vaults, with a 17-1 indoor record and an outdoor 16-10.75 record.

Bork says that Webber is capable of breaking his records by the end of his career. He also thinks that Webber is capable of reaching 18 feet, a height that would qualify him for nationals.

Already, Webber has progressed into a very successful athlete for Montana.

He is second in the Big Sky Conference in the pole vault behind Idaho State's Michael Arnold, a four-time Big Sky winner in the outdoor and indoor pole vault.

However, Webber wasn't always this driven.

When Webber was a freshman, Bork said he saw Webber's potential, but his commitment level wasn't necessarily where Bork wanted it to be.

Then a couple of years ago Bork noticed a shift in Webber.

"He came back after the summer and you could just tell he had changed," Bork said. "He wasn't afraid anymore. He was ready to be done being afraid of the vault."

Now, the experienced pole-vaulter is working tirelessly to accomplish his goals, while also helping sophomore pole-vaulter Kaleb Horlick reach his full potential.

Horlick cleared 15-5 on Feb. 10 to give Montana a second qualification in the pole vault.

For Horlick and Webber, competing, motivating and joking with one another is all part of their friendship. The two are in a constant state of competition with each other, but are also always there to help one another.

"I wouldn't trade Keith for anything. Him and I are really, really close, but there's such a competitive drive between us," Horlick said.
Horlick described the competitive drive between the two as friendly and says it's one of the biggest motivators for him.

Time is still favorable to Webber, who has the option to redshirt an indoor season and an outdoor season, giving him extra time to try to add to his accomplishments.

This Friday, Webber will compete again in Bozeman before travelling to Flagstaff, Ariz., on Feb. 24-25 to compete in the Big Sky Conference Championships.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”