Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Ty Sevin returns to Louisiana, head coach @ UNO

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:48 pm

http://www.nola.com/uno/index.ssf/2012/ ... d_tra.html

UNO hires Ty Sevin to lead track and field program
Published: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 11:45 AM Updated: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 11:50 AM
By The Times-Picayune

Ty Sevin, a coach with the United States Track and Field national team program, was selected to lead the recently reinstated UNO track and field program, the school announced in a news release Wednesday. A native of Cut Off, Sevin will also take the reins of the UNO cross country program that was launched last year.

"The ultimate deciding factor for me accepting this position was because I was captivated by the vision that (UNO athletic director) Derek Morel articulated in my interview and truly want to become a part of something special,” Sevin said in the news release. “I am very humbled to be selected as the head track and field and cross country coach at UNO and look forward to the challenge of developing a nationally competitive program."

"It is great to be moving home and I look forward to giving the community of New Orleans a new team to root for."
Sevin was chosen following a national search and becomes the first head coach hired by Morel.

“We welcome Coach Sevin to our UNO family as the Head Coach of our Track & Field and Cross Country programs,” Morel said in the release. “We were pleased with the significant number of highly qualified candidates for this opportunity and their interest in our university.”

Sevin has spent the last five years based at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, Calif., where he has coached elite athletes that have represented the USA Track and Field program in the discus, pole vault, javelin and shot put.

The new Privateer head coach will accompany two of these athletes to London in early August to compete in the 2012 Summer Olympics.
The appointment to the head coaching position at UNO will represent a return to collegiate coaching for Sevin, who served two years as a head coach at McNeese State.

Prior to his stint in Lake Charles, La., Sevin served as an assistant coach with Michigan State, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. His previous work experience also included a 19-month period as the resident pole vault coach as the US Olympic Center.

"I'm ready to get the recruiting process rolling and will make it a priority to attract the most gifted student-athletes available,” said Sevin. I want to show the rest of the world what UNO has to offer both athletically and academically."

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Re: Ty Sevin returns to Louisiana, head coach @ UNO

Unread postby CowtownPV » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:04 am

Tye is a great all around track and field coach, he will have this program going in a short time. He not only has the knowledge and the eye for coaching but he is also the kind of young man most parents would want working with their kids. Good Luck to him as he gets things started in canjun country.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”