Jenni Ashcroft out at Oregon - Confirmed. Who will replace?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Jenni Ashcroft out at Oregon - Confirmed. Who will replace?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:24 pm

That's the gossip on letsrun.com. Any truth to it? She is still listed on their website... and Gergel is listed as a coach as well! Congrats to Melissa.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Jenni Ashcroft out at Oregon?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:25 am

Confirmed. :( So much coaching turnover with the Oregon pole vault job :deadrose:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Jenni Ashcroft out at Oregon - Confirmed. Who will replace?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:12 pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield ... the_s.html

Jenni Ashcroft let go as the shakeup in the Oregon track program continues
Published: Friday, July 20, 2012, 11:03 AM Updated: Friday, July 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
By Ken Goe, The Oregonian

Jennie Ashcroft, an assistant track and field coach at the University of Oregon for the past six seasons, said Friday she was not returning to the program.

Ashcroft worked with middle distance runners, pole-vaulters and high jumpers, and assisted with the cross country team.

She said associate head coach Robert Johnson notified her that the Ducks were going “in a different direction.”

There has been speculation for the last month that Johnson would succeed Vin Lananna as Oregon’s head coach. Reports suggest that Lananna, also an associate athletic director at Oregon, would focus more on a big-picture agenda that would include an expansion and renovation of Hayward Field, construction of championship caliber indoor track and a bid for the 2019 IAAF World Track & Field Championships.

Throws coach Robert Weir also reportedly will not return.

There has been no official announcement from Oregon on staff changes. The UO website lists Lananna as director of track and field for the 2012-13 season. It lists Johnson as an associate head coach, and Ashcroft and Weir as assistants.

Johnson declined comment, both on reports of his ascension to head coach and other staff changes.

“You probably would be better off talking to Vin about that,” Johnson said.

Lananna did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Ashcroft is credited with guiding Melissa Gergel to the 2011 NCAA championship in the pole vault, and worked closely with UO mid-distance star Jordan Hasay.

“Obviously, this is a disappointing ending, but the main thing I want to convey is how extremely grateful I am for the time I spent at the University of Oregon,” Ashcroft said. “It’s been a privilege and an honor to work in Track Town USA. I want to thank the student/athletes for all of their hard work and effort, and thank the Oregon Track Club, the fans and officials.

“It’s been a fabulous experience.”

Ashcroft is a native Oregonian who was a state champion pole-vaulter at Sheridan High School, and an All-American at Nevada.

She said she has no immediate plans.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:45 am

As an old coach who is one of those that has been, I know there are only two kinds of coaches, those that have been fired and those that will be fired but I sure hate to see so much turnover in pole vault coaches. There are three pretty good programs listed here that are changing pv coaches. Sad thing is it seems like so many vault programs don't last for a long time. Good luck to all those coaches as they explore other opportunities.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:17 pm

I hate to hear this for any coach and specially Jenny she was such a hard working passionate coach. This is the very reason I strayed away from coaching. Good luck to coach ashcroft I hope she finds another program to share her skills with.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”