rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Where is Rock Light going?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:27 pm

No longer listed as a coach at Texas Tech: http://www.texastech.com/sports/c-track ... ml#coaches

Anyone know what is next for him?

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Re: Where is Rock Light going?

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:26 pm

He wasn't coaching the vaulters anyway. It was Brian? Porter.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rollingrocklight
PV Newbie
Favorite Vaulter: 6H4HW

Unread postby rollingrocklight » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:51 pm

I am at home Becca with a For Sale sign in our front yard. This is my first ever post to any social website. Yes, I am not a facebooker, dont have twitter, but enjoy visiting PVP. I love the vault and have been coaching all of the jumping events my entire career. Achtungpv, Brian Porter was an outstanding vaulter for me at texas tech (I recruited Brian out of Maypearl, Tx) and as I have done at previous stops those wanting to enter coaching I will do anything I can to help with their careers. Brian volunteered under my guidance for 2 years with all of the jumps at texas tech, not just the vault. Brian is currently interviewing for jumps coaching positions at different universities. I hope I helped make him more relevant as a well rounded coach. Those that know me know I pay it forward continuously as a coach, teacher, mentor, instructor, and as a clinician. I am proud of the production within the jumps program during my 7 years at texas tech. Big 12 champions in both Women's and Men's vault, Men's Long Jump, and 2 in the Men's Triple Jump. 3 Big 12 Freshman of the Year (2 in the vault). 2 Big 12 Athletes of the Year (field eventers!) NCAA All Americans in all of the jumping disciplines, except the Women's TJ.

I just returned from teaching the Level II Jumps course in Las Vegas with Jeremy Fischer (OTC) and Chris Bostwick (Michigan State). Yes, I covered the Pole Vault in addition to other teaching responsibilities. It was so great to return to teaching for USATF, something I had previously done since the early 90's. Our students were outstanding.

My wife Shanny and I will keep you posted Becca. We have so many friends within the vault community. Maybe I have time now for Anthony C to teach me to surf. Sounds like Anthony may have some extra time too. Unreal. He is one of my idols. Love hanging out with him in the coaching box.

My respect always to you Becca and the great vault coaches we have in this country and their students.

Rock Light

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:14 pm

Best of luck in your future endeavors Rock! Do keep us posted.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:50 am

I wonder who'll get the Tech job. They've got two really good vaulters returning.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rollingrocklight
PV Newbie
Favorite Vaulter: 6H4HW

Unread postby rollingrocklight » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 am

rolling rock light.jpg
rolling rock light.jpg (38.39 KiB) Viewed 22026 times

Yes Achtungpv. A strong group returning with this year's Freshman additions being Josh Sonnen (Midlothian HS, Tx - 16' 3"), Kyle Padalecki (SA East Central HS, Tx - 16' 3"), Shelby Poncik (Needville HS, Tx - 12' 7"), and Haley Cook (Coppell HS, Tx - 12').

Josh Sonnen will be a great one; I coached Kyle Padalecki's Uncle David Padalecki at Southwest Texas back in the mid-80's (Kyle reminds me of Greg Duplantis, whose son I recruited, Andreas, but my former boss didn't offer Andreas because he didn't like "his look"); Shelby will improve greatly with only a properly timed pole drop and she is a tough young woman; and finally Haley Cook whom I feel has so much potential. Their high school and club coaches have prepared them for the Big 12 vault wars for sure and beyond. All are strong students and have great families. This is therapeutic for me to write.

This group came with no one receiving over 8% in scholarship. I am also anxiously awaiting the announcement of their new coach.

Rock Light
ps - sorry for the large icon... I will figure out how to crop it down but it sure looks refreshing... :D

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 pm

hey Rocky,

we meet a long time ago... SMU? for me maybe

i have continued to keep up with what coaches are doing and where they are...

have had nothing but good reports coming from your direction...

if you want to continue you know there will be a spot somewhere.

Good luck

dj

hardflex
PV Whiz

Unread postby hardflex » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:33 am

Coach Light, So sad for the recent events. I wish you the best and know you'll land on your feet running. You're a hell of a Coach ! Keep in Touch !

Paul Richards

GreenSilver
PV Newbie
Expertise: College coach
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby GreenSilver » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:47 am

Coach Light,
I'll try to get in touch about coaching. I am a young assistant and am looking for wisdom. I am a second year pole vault coach and am eager for any direction to get more knowledgeable in the pole vault. You spoke once at a USTFCCCA convention that I attended. I haven't been since. Do you instruct through USATF or USTFCCCA?

Return to “Pole Vault - College”