Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Re: Was the coach serious?

Unread postby PV2020 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:44 am

altius wrote:Sorry - in a rush - did not catch the fact that the school was already settled. But just for interest - can anyone let us know what the best male and female vaulters were in all the Big Ten schools were last year??

http://tfrrs.com/lists/925.html#24

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:55 am

VaultPurple wrote:
altius wrote:You need to make sure any college coach you consider is really serious about taking an absolute beginner - and CAN actually TEACH the event.

Not really. She chose the school for the school and then asked if she could try to pole vault. They said yes and she should give it a shot. Time will tell how things work out, but she should go into things trusting the coach 100% no matter what anyone else in the pole vault community says. She is going to this school regardless, so if the coach says they can jump then welcome to the pole vault community.

Agree 100%!

titanpv07
PV Wannabe
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.00m
Favorite Vaulter: dean starkey!

Unread postby titanpv07 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:20 pm

i know of one Big10 school who took a gymnast/ triple jumper and turned her into a big10 scorer ...its very possible
"How can you say the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon"

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:41 pm

titanpv07 wrote:i know of one Big10 school who took a gymnast/ triple jumper and turned her into a big10 scorer ...its very possible

I think I know who you are talking about and she did a lot of work on her own with camps over the summer to get there.
Man Up and Jump

sd9066
PV Newbie

Unread postby sd9066 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Well that certainly is good news! Do you know the timeline? I know everyone is different - would just be interested to know if she was jumping in a season or if several years were involved.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:47 pm

This girl I am thinking of started jumping well after about a year and a half
Man Up and Jump

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter

Unread postby fishman4god » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:31 am

I concur a year to a year and a half is about right for good mechanics(relatively speaking) to be there. Although there is a former level 10 high school gal that jumped 9 feet on day one down here in Florida and jumped 11 by may. Total time vaulting 5 months. Not the norm but gymnasts bring a lot to the table right from the get go!

sd9066
PV Newbie

Unread postby sd9066 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:35 am

Update: My daughter spoke with the coach today. He wants her to do club PV starting in October. If she progresses and if she likes the sport, they will see about letting her do a walk on. He mentioned this was the same path a particular former triple jumper / gymnast took. So, I guess we couldn't have hoped for anything better!

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:03 am

Well she defenitely has been given a shot which is awesome! Best wishes for her new adventure, vaulting is awesome!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:22 am

Best of luck with everything!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:39 pm

fishman4god wrote:I concur a year to a year and a half is about right for good mechanics(relatively speaking) to be there. Although there is a former level 10 high school gal that jumped 9 feet on day one down here in Florida and jumped 11 by may. Total time vaulting 5 months. Not the norm but gymnasts bring a lot to the table right from the get go!

Not trying to gazzump you but a South Carolina girl I worked with in a camp three years ago jumped 9' the first day and 11' 6" within six days. She had also been a level ten gymnast who had grown too tall. Some of you may recall that at that time I spruiked her as a future star in an attempt to get her a scholarship. Not only was she physically very talented but she was a person driven to achieve success in sport. However the college coach who saw the 11'6 chose to recruit a girl who had jumped 13' in high school. A sensible choice but the SC girl may well jump 4.70m next year.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:19 pm

What sc school? Division etc. that is awesome and I would like to follow her progress for sure. Talk about your Cinderella story............holy cow 4.70!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a national team member to me!

Return to “Pole Vault - College”