I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Mandissa Marshall (George Mason) coming off injury

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 am

http://www.timesleader.com/stories/Cres ... ult,254419

Mandissa Marshall was looking forward to the indoor season competing in the pole vault with the George Mason women’s track team. She was red-shirted last winter to get ready for the outdoor season, but was planning for a big spring this season.

“Mandissa had a major setback this fall when she ran through on a jump and twisted her ankle,” pole vault coach Kevin McGorty said. “It has been a long and slow recovery and she has missed a lot of base training.”

Senior Marshall (Crestwood), who holds the George Mason record indoors (13-1½), will take it slowly because the outdoor season has been outstanding for her. Not only does she hold the school record (14-1¼), but she’s won two straight Colonial Athletic Association Championship titles, was the top finisher in the NCAA Division I East Regionals two straight years and earned All-American mention as a sophomore.

“We are doing our best to get her back into jumping form but we will also be very mindful of her injury,” McGorty said. “Unfortunately, an injury like this really just needs time to heal properly and to regain strength.”

Marshall didn’t compete in the first two meets of the season and is doubtful when the college hosts the Patriot Games this Friday and Saturday in Fairfax, Va.

“The injury was really bad timing because she was hoping for a super indoor season,” McGorty said. “I expect to see solid performances in the few meets she enters, but nothing beyond that and we will continue to evaluate her training on a week-by-week bases.”Mandissa Marshall was looking forward to the indoor season competing in the pole vault with the George Mason women’s track team. She was red-shirted last winter to get ready for the outdoor season, but was planning for a big spring this season.

“Mandissa had a major setback this fall when she ran through on a jump and twisted her ankle,” pole vault coach Kevin McGorty said. “It has been a long and slow recovery and she has missed a lot of base training.”

Senior Marshall (Crestwood), who holds the George Mason record indoors (13-1½), will take it slowly because the outdoor season has been outstanding for her. Not only does she hold the school record (14-1¼), but she’s won two straight Colonial Athletic Association Championship titles, was the top finisher in the NCAA Division I East Regionals two straight years and earned All-American mention as a sophomore.

“We are doing our best to get her back into jumping form but we will also be very mindful of her injury,” McGorty said. “Unfortunately, an injury like this really just needs time to heal properly and to regain strength.”

Marshall didn’t compete in the first two meets of the season and is doubtful when the college hosts the Patriot Games this Friday and Saturday in Fairfax, Va.

“The injury was really bad timing because she was hoping for a super indoor season,” McGorty said. “I expect to see solid performances in the few meets she enters, but nothing beyond that and we will continue to evaluate her training on a week-by-week bases.”

Return to “Pole Vault - College”