NCAA taking comments on proposed box collar rule

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

User avatar
vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:56 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent
Location: Barrington, IL

Re: NCAA taking comments on proposed box collar rule

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:07 pm

"The NFHS has not released any statements that I am aware of indicating if/when this particular collar will be required."

Should have said that in my post but these sort of rules do tend to trickle down to the high school level.

I do have an observation about the SafetyMax cover. In the ncaa rulebook, the dimensions of the vault box are pretty well defined. If you add the Safety Max cover, wouldn't it violate those dimensions by making the box more narrow?

User avatar
VaultPurple
PV Lover
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:44 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis
Location: North Carolina

Re: NCAA taking comments on proposed box collar rule

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:33 pm

vcpvcoach wrote:"The NFHS has not released any statements that I am aware of indicating if/when this particular collar will be required."

Should have said that in my post but these sort of rules do tend to trickle down to the high school level.

I do have an observation about the SafetyMax cover. In the ncaa rulebook, the dimensions of the vault box are pretty well defined. If you add the Safety Max cover, wouldn't it violate those dimensions by making the box more narrow?


Last year the NCAA made a clause saying that the wings of the SaftyMax that come down into the box would be allowed but not required. Right now there are a few people pretty high up fighting the new box collar rule on the basis that it makes the plant box smaller which can add danger in itself. While the idea and thinking are in the right direction it is still too early to mandate it.

User avatar
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Posts: 30435
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:59 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Gender: Female
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan
Location: A Temperate Island
Contact:

Re: NCAA taking comments on proposed box collar rule

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:07 am

vcpvcoach wrote:I do have an observation about the SafetyMax cover. In the ncaa rulebook, the dimensions of the vault box are pretty well defined. If you add the Safety Max cover, wouldn't it violate those dimensions by making the box more narrow?


I have been told that the NCAA rules folks have made statements indicating that the SafetyMax collar is allowable under the current rules, and that no other rule changes are necessary to begin requiring this new collar.

PV2020
PV Whiz
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:23 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Re: NCAA taking comments on proposed box collar rule

Unread postby PV2020 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:33 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
vcpvcoach wrote:I do have an observation about the SafetyMax cover. In the ncaa rulebook, the dimensions of the vault box are pretty well defined. If you add the Safety Max cover, wouldn't it violate those dimensions by making the box more narrow?


I have been told that the NCAA rules folks have made statements indicating that the SafetyMax collar is allowable under the current rules, and that no other rule changes are necessary to begin requiring this new collar.


I would see them having to give more time for manufacturers to adapt to the rule change to match the specific dimensions of the box cover. Also they could not make it the exact dimensions as the SaftyMax because I am pretty sure Johnson has that patented. Now that is not saying they 'could not' but rather 'should not'. Because if they did that means the SaftyMax would be the only allowable, and although Gill makes to collar, I am sure the designer (who is also head of pole vault safety for most major organizations) gets some kick backs.

Lets call it 300 new collars that would be ordered by December 1. At 554 dollars each, I will call that a bit of conflict of interest to get that rule passed quickly rather than letting the collars slowly work their way into the system and let coaches decide how they work.

User avatar
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Posts: 30435
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:59 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Gender: Female
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan
Location: A Temperate Island
Contact:

Re: NCAA taking comments on proposed box collar rule

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:02 am

It's not a conflict of interest for Gill to want the rule pushed through quickly, but it is probably in their best fiduciary interest. A conflict of interest would be if someone who stood to profit from this was on the rules committee.

If they delay the start of the rule another season, I still don't see another manufacturer jumping into the fray, not unless the NFHS announced they would also be requiring collars to meet this standard. It takes time to design and develop a product like this, and also get it tested. If it seemed obvious that the NFHS was going to adopt it, then perhaps it would make more financial sense for more manufacturers to take an interest.

PV2020
PV Whiz
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:23 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Re: NCAA taking comments on proposed box collar rule

Unread postby PV2020 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:01 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:It's not a conflict of interest for Gill to want the rule pushed through quickly, but it is probably in their best fiduciary interest. A conflict of interest would be if someone who stood to profit from this was on the rules committee.

If they delay the start of the rule another season, I still don't see another manufacturer jumping into the fray, not unless the NFHS announced they would also be requiring collars to meet this standard. It takes time to design and develop a product like this, and also get it tested. If it seemed obvious that the NFHS was going to adopt it, then perhaps it would make more financial sense for more manufacturers to take an interest.


Isn't Jan Johnson the designer of SaftyMax? Is he not still president of the pole vault safety certification board or something like that. NCAA Coaches and people get emails from him all the time, I am pretty sure he has a little pull when it comes to the NCAA. That is the conflict, not Gill.

User avatar
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Posts: 30435
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:59 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Gender: Female
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan
Location: A Temperate Island
Contact:

Re: NCAA taking comments on proposed box collar rule

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:27 am

PV2020 wrote:Isn't Jan Johnson the designer of SaftyMax? Is he not still president of the pole vault safety certification board or something like that. NCAA Coaches and people get emails from him all the time, I am pretty sure he has a little pull when it comes to the NCAA. That is the conflict, not Gill.



I don't know what the current status of the PVSCB is, but they don't hold any official status with the NCAA. That's not a conflict of interest, it's called being a smart businessman.


Return to “Pole Vault - College”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest