I HATE the NCAA

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:24 pm

Peepers, it's like everything else in this great country of ours. "it's all about the money"! Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing necessarily, it's just the way it is. On the otherhand, take a look at how many performance (the arts and music) and academic full and partial scholarships that are offered by those same schools. It will make the football scholarship count look very small. The point here is you want to go to college to do the learning thing the sports thing is "extracurricular". So the answer is get the stellar grades, get the academic scholarship, then once you get there, pole vault and have fun! Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a parent. Later.........Mike
P.S. then if you become invaluble to the team, don't worry, they'll find you a scholarship from somewhere.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:06 pm

vaulter870 wrote:Seams almost like they really dislikle pole vaulters for some reason :dazed:
It's true.. i hate hit. Im not even in college yet but i still see it and i hate it. But you guys all have a good good point
Just you wait...

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:13 pm

It seems like theres kinda the same problem in high school. Go to dyestat and read some of the sanctioning problems that are going on. http://www.dyestat.com/3us/5in/sanction5.htm
Somehow im going to be "tainted or sumthing by jumping against someone from a privet school or an other state. Come on... :mad:

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:40 pm

I am not in college yet either but i am feeling for you guys this is turing into a mess i am gunna end up in and it makes me angry!!!
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:08 am

Does that mean if you are in NCAA, if you go to the summit all you're allowed to do is the competition and watch the elite competition?

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:21 am

theflyingkorean wrote:Does that mean if you are in NCAA, if you go to the summit all you're allowed to do is the competition and watch the elite competition?

Yep.

zipsDIGSpv
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach

Unread postby zipsDIGSpv » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:43 pm

Not to mention that it isn't a sanctioned NCAA event so any national marks don't count....but you can qualify to the olympics. It doesn't make sense, but it seems that that is what the NCAA is all about
I beat my body and make it my slave
-I Corinthians 9:26-27

pistolpete6994
PV Nerd
Expertise: Once a Collegiate Vaulter- Now HS Coach

Unread postby pistolpete6994 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:30 pm

We have the largest gathering of NCAA PV Athletes on this site that will every be created. The NCAA has boned everyone of us with dumbass rules like this. But if we all act together we can force the NCAA to reconsider their position on this "outside coaching" infraction, or whatever rule they claim the summit falls under. Many other sports hold clinics around the country, and NCAA athletes are almost always at these, it is not a question of seeking coaching, but rather we are advancing our sport. So once again, if we can all find a way to band togeather (we have already done that here), we can present a intelligent argument and force them to re-evaluate their decision.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:37 pm

pistolpete6994 wrote:We have the largest gathering of NCAA PV Athletes on this site that will every be created. The NCAA has boned everyone of us with dumbass rules like this. But if we all act together we can force the NCAA to reconsider their position on this "outside coaching" infraction, or whatever rule they claim the summit falls under. Many other sports hold clinics around the country, and NCAA athletes are almost always at these, it is not a question of seeking coaching, but rather we are advancing our sport. So once again, if we can all find a way to band togeather (we have already done that here), we can present a intelligent argument and force them to re-evaluate their decision.

Good luck. They do not care one bit what anyone on here thinks.

C-townvault
PV Whiz

Unread postby C-townvault » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:36 pm

The NCAA doesn't get any money from Reno correct? So why would they allow something like that to happen? Goes back to the whole thing about the NCAA being a business... Bowl games ring a bell maybe?

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:04 am

C-townvault wrote:The NCAA doesn't get any money from Reno correct? So why would they allow something like that to happen? Goes back to the whole thing about the NCAA being a business... Bowl games ring a bell maybe?

well, the ncaa is a buisness but is very successful in acting as a cartel, but that is not really a bad thing for us because the profits they get from that go to fund our national championships that are so important that we complain about one meet that isnt even really on anyone's team's schedule doesnt act as a qualifier for.

bottom line, if the ncaa wasnt so successful in making money from bowl games and such, the track and field championships wouldnt be near as impressive. we benefit from the ncaa as much as we are hurt by it(if a national championship is important, which given some people's specific complaints it is)

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

NCAA

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:13 pm

This may be of interest to you guys. It does not involve vaulters, but what they did and are doing to track athletes good enough to be in the olympics....

http://www.nwanews.com/story.php?paper= ... ryid=25449
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”