trayoates
PV Nerd
Expertise: College (class of 2017)
Lifetime Best: 17'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

opinions on box collars so far?

Unread postby trayoates » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:24 am

My college hasn't received our new collar yet, but i was just curious what some college vaulters thought of these new collars and how it is/isn't affecting your vault.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: opinions on box collars so far?

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Gill said they would not be sending them out until the end of November. So pretty much no one has theirs yet.

I emailed the NCAA to see if they could delay the "required date" just to simply allow people to have time to practice with it before their first meet. I have not received a response.

I truly believe it is a recipe for disaster as the majority of the athletes will not see the new box collar until the first meet or very shortly before. Putting aside any negative thoughts I have of the design or it being forced down our throats, the facts are that it makes the box smaller and athletes need practice hitting the smaller target.

If you have any concerns you would like to express to the NCAA please contact Rachel Seewald at rseewald@ncaa.org

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:03 pm

So -- Question -- If you state and advertise you have one that meet ASTM -- "months" before they are required - do you really believe they can not ship until the end of November!!!!

Is it possible there are some issues? Like not meeting the pole slide requirements? Or the Impact Testing?

Or will there be a "a piece of production equipment broke" and that is why the delayed delivery

Just publish the test data that show it meet the requirments (need to be signed and dated by the tester according to ASTM) --

A picture of one that meets all the requirments - and under a pit would be frosting on the cake.

What is real here! Any honest answer would be nice
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

PVR
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby PVR » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Received ours last week. Have used it a couple of times with the freshmen and no issues. Upperclassman used one at a meet last season, lots of complaining, but after warm ups they didn't feel any different. Had two PRs.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:42 pm

How thick is the final production one -- and can you post a picture of what it looks like installed - where in Wisconsin?
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:58 pm

We are in milwaukee Wisconsin and received it last week.

I have one vaulter having an issue. I just told him to deal with it or retire since it will be there from now on. He has not had an issue since
Man Up and Jump

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Decamouse wrote:How thick is the final production one -- and can you post a picture of what it looks like installed - where in Wisconsin?

It is 3-4 inches. And somewhat solid.
Man Up and Jump

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Unread postby drcurran » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:32 pm

I have to say I was kind of "on the fence" about the new box collar. Well today I officiated my first meet with the new equipment, and I am sold! From the pictures had seen I was afraid the collar would intrude on the box too much. Not the case if anything the collar seem to direct or even guide the pole to the back of the plant box. I did not see one athlete have any difficulty with the new collar. It was not a very big meet 9 women and 10 men. Villanova hosted the meet at Haverford College in Haverford, PA. I did hear of one issue (from another meet) that officials need to be aware of. It seem on rare occasions the pole after being released, and pushed back properly, can be trapped by the "T" and come back towards the bar. Of course not an issue if the bar is high enough for the pole to pass under, but if the pole is taller than the bar this "bounce back" could dislodge the bar and if the official is not aware, might be charged as a failed attempt. OK enough from me, I give the new Box collar two thumbs up!

( I posted this in the College section, but this seems like a better spot)
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Dan, how did you accomplish your height measurements? For that matter how have OTHERS been performing height measurments.
My PV team of officials found it to be impossible with our current devices.. We tried using a Gill Laser stick (as well as a home made metal stick), and also with a standard UCS PV measuring stick. it will not fit in the area behind the rear of the box.

If I recall, you peel back the tongue area and insert your homemade wood device right? A lot of us do not have that setup and many places only have some very expensive measuring devices.

We also were not pleased with the "fit" of a UCS pit with the collar installed.. there was far to much overlape of the pad down by the tapered area of the collar (rear part of the box).. that caused quite a few problems for a few of the heavy pole benders.
We are concerned to say the least.

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Unread postby drcurran » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:35 am

I was able to put my measuring device on the edge of the box by compressing the collar a little. did not have to side the device between the front pad with the top pad / tongue rolled back. Don't know if I could have. I know the part of the collar that goes under the pads is pretty large. I'll check that out next week up at St. Lawrence in Canton, NY.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!

TK

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:57 pm

I posted an image of one major problem I saw...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41779

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Had my first session with the new collar the other day - didn't notice it much but did have to move the pits back and to the left a bit to avoid a pit slap as a result of the pits being higher behind the box. Didn't like that. Like I said I didn't really notice it, but don't look forward to any meet with a crosswind on it.

We had a meet on one this past weekend and had one athlete have a weird late plant and put the pole tip on the wing of the new collar. Not good. She bailed well and was ok but ended up near the standard box after a bit of a Besmer situation. Technical mistake for sure, but would have been absolutely fine without the new collar...

All in all, just not a fan... sure seems like potentially more bad than good to me!
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

Return to “Pole Vault - College”