Vtech at VMI results

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Vtech at VMI results

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:29 pm

In some form or another, every vaulter for us posted a pr yesterday at VMI.

on the womens side
Abbey McGrath jumped 12-8, topping her 8 left pr, from 7 lefts
Erin Mahoney jumped 12-2 which is her pr
Jenn Wade tied her 7 left left pr 11-8
Kim Johnston set a 6 left pr 11-2
Diana Ciambi, redshirting rookie, whos only been vaulting for 3 months, jumped 10-2 in her first ever meet

guys side
SlickVT jumped 15'3 and was a barshake away from 15'9 off of 5 lefts (short run pr)
Joe Samaniuk jumped 15'9 for a 7 left pr
and I set my 7 left pr with a 5.30 jump. one decent look at 5.37, but too much stick with not enough grip.

go congrats to all my teammates for a great start to our season. by our next week in january run lengths will be as follows.

me - 8 lefts
adam - 8 or 9 lefts
joe - 9 lefts

abbey, jen, erin - 8 lefts
kim - 7 or 8 lefts (barring technical corrections)
not sure for diana.

so look for some bigger bars coming in january
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:26 pm

Great job Hokie Dud's and Dudette's! :D PR's from any length run is a good thing. Can't wait for our squads to go head to head Jan 13/14. It is going to be fun. Tell everyone congrats, your coach too! :D

Our open guys jumped yesterday at Clemson. I didn't look at the final results and they are not online yet to my knowledge. I think they were 1st, 3rd and 4th. Chris Steddum won it at 17' 1". Chase Shealy and Spencer Stephens were 3rd & 4th at 16' 7", but I am not sure which was 3rd or 4th. All three opened at 16' 7". One of the Tennesse guys was 2nd at 17' 1" and really looked good. I expect him to have a great year.

Chris looked really good despite struggling with his run a little. Spencer looked great on the runway and was taking off from 13' 8" consistently and 14' 2" on his final attempt. He just forgot to leave the crossbar up. :crying: Chase was running very well too but was having problems with his contacts fogging up half way down the runway, so he was planting mostly blind but still managed some nice jumps. Does anyone have any suggestions for defogging contacts? He tried solution during the meet but it did not work.

I will try to have their makes on my web site soon and will give you the link on this thread.

B, Are the VaTech vaults going to be online anywhere?
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:44 am

VT Duds... not nice.

haha.. j/k

emmm. i can get bob to post some of the vaults on our website. ill let you know when those get up.

tell your guys that we are all excited to see em in january, keep pushing eachother higher.
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:06 pm

Rusty,

How old are Chase's contacts. I have trouble with that sometimes when they are in my eyes a while. I have two week replacables that I take out once every four nights and throw away every two weeks or so. After a few days of being in they fog easy. If hes not, maybe put them in solution all night every once in a while? Hope it helps.

Bing
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:12 pm

Carolina Extreme wrote: Does anyone have any suggestions for defogging contacts? He tried solution during the meet but it did not work.

Lasik :P
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:12 pm

Brian, You know I'm just messing with you guys. LOL :D

Here is the link to the clearances at Clemson Opener for Chris, Spencer and Chase.

http://www.carolinaextreme.com/Index_files/page0003.htm

Thanks guys for the thoughts on the clouding contacts. Chase ordered glasses yesterday. He wants to try glasses vaulting and go from there. To answer I think it was Bings thought, his contacts were only two weeks old tops. In the video clip of Chase, in slow mo it is very obvious, he is slowing down on his approach. I don't understand why he slowed down though, because the box never moves. Blind or blurred, trust your step. Put your feet down and GO! :eek:

Down the road the Lasik may be best, if it is an option based on his eyes.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:30 pm

did i count right

7 rights for chris
8 lefts for spence
7 lefts for chase

also was chase wayyyy under.. looks like it.. and we all know im an expert at being under :mad:
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:25 pm

B,

Chris and Spencer were both from 8 (16 step). Chase was at 7 (14).

No question about Chase being under, heck he couldn't see. I would have been more than backing off... I would not have left the ground.

Chase just walked in with his new glasses. Hes grin'n lik a mule eat'n briars (ear to ear for the non-southern speakers) :confused: . He told me to tell you "When ever you are ready, bring your "A" game" LOL :D

See you guys soon!

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:03 pm

Actually Brian was right, I was at 7 lefts (on a 15'8 pole), but by the time I get to the Va Tech meet I will be ready for 8 lefts and hopefully some big bars. I am looking forward to it, should be a great meet and I would bet there will be a couple people over 18'. ;)
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:13 pm

hey man!! great to see you posting again. and glad to see your vaulting well again. i think the first time we all square off from 8 itll be pretty awesome!!

p.s. rusty.. tell chase im waiting :P :mad:

p.p.s for those of you who dont know and may be thinking this is arrogance, chase and i are friends, we have a friendly rivalry goin on. just so i dont come off as being annoying.
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:44 am

VTechVaulter wrote:...p.s. rusty.. tell chase im waiting :P :mad:

p.p.s for those of you who dont know and may be thinking this is arrogance, chase and i are friends, we have a friendly rivalry goin on. just so i dont come off as being annoying.

Yeah, Brian and Chase have had this friendly rivalry going on for some time now. It seems like every year, every time they compete, it's like, "Alright, we're going to settle it this time". But they never do. LOL :yes:

Sorry Chris, I sold your short on your run. You won the local bragging rights though. Chris 1, Spencer 0, Chase 0. Looks like the beginnings of a streak. LOL Now lets challenge Chase and Spencer to win more meets if they can this year. It's your job not to let them. :D

Return to “Pole Vault - College”