How well are you treated?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Re: How are you treated

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:25 pm

At my daughter's high school the Pole Vault is treated very seriously. They understand that pole vault scores points. We did have the benefit of a very generous parent who bought an olympic size pit and high jump pit and tons of poles while his son was vaulting. So we have a great progression of guys' poles. The girls' poles stopped at a 13' 140". The good part is that they allow in their budget 6 poles per year. Since the progression is pretty much there up to the girls' 140, all the new poles will be for my daughter since she now has a 13' 165 for her biggest pole. That's fantastic...now if she just had a coach here locally :(

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:47 pm

just curious, why do you post so much on this site, you need to get your daughter on here!!! She needs to see whats up with her sport!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:01 pm

She hasn't gotten a chance to get on much since joining with school stuff and workouts. For example, she won't get home until about 11pm tonight. We are driving to Tulsa for a vault clinic. She will probably be able to get on more by Friday...they don't have school!

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:19 pm

She's very lucky to have such a cool mom that will support her and that seems as dedicated as she is, not to mention drive her hours away for a clinic!!
Pole Vaulters get high!

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:52 pm

yeah no kidding
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Re: How are you treated?

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:21 pm

Thanks....I figure it will be cheaper than paying for 4 years of college in the long run and the road trips give us time together. I used to do it for all 3 of my daughters in gymnastics...now it's just transferred to pole vault for Jodie since the others are out of gymnastics now! She had an offer to go train in Russia and live with Earl Bell's sister-in-law and train in Russia last summer, but I passed that one up...just too far away...

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:03 am

man, that would have b een freaking awesome to train in russia....who offered it? like a club or a person or what? just kinda curious
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Re:training

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:23 am

Tatiana Bell was training Katya Kostetskaya from Russia. She was staying in Jonesboro. She and Jodie were both 9th graders last year. Jodie met her at Earl's and saw them at all the Arkansas indoor meets and we got to know them. We all got to be friends and she said that when Katya went back to Russia in the summer, Jodie could go with them and train there. She never said who would be training her for vault. It would've probably been an awesome experience. The last time we saw them was at the Arkansas USATF State meet June 8. She was leaving within a few days. But if Jodie would've gone, she wouldn't have gotten to compete in Jr. Nationals as a freshman...and that was a great experience for her!

Return to “Pole Vault - College”