The Freshmen Transition

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

uconnvaulta
PV Whiz

The Freshmen Transition

Unread postby uconnvaulta » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:02 am

I dont know if anyone else that went into their freshmen year of college experienced it but i sure did. I go to the University of Connecticut and was a freshmen this past season and boy did i suk. going to college was a rough begining i get to school and start weight training hard and speed work, i gained about 25- 30 pounds from lifting. and gained a ton of speed. also as soon as i got there they threw me onto a 16 foot pole right when i was just gettin used to the 15s jumpin about 15 8, 16 consistantly. while i was on the 16 i never got over 16 and onlyjumped 15 9, i dont know what my deal was but i was just wondering if anyone had that problem their freshmen year, because im looking for some better results my sophomore year

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:52 pm

the exact opposite for me i guess...

i put on 30 pounds, i went from 155 to 185 real quick cause i never lifted in high school... my pr was 15'3 on a 15'6 pole then. and after the speed work, weight gain and decathlon training limiting my number of vault days, i just hoped i'd be able to stay up at 15'. but as the season progressed i kept getting better. i went 16'1, 16'5, and 16'9 three meets in a row to finish my indoor season, then in outdoors i either no-heighted or went 5.00m in a decathlon... only recently at regionals did i break the 5.00m barrier, but i it was also indoors. (mid-east). maybe it's a clash of coaching style between your high school coach and current one, and it may take some time for you get used to it and to learn to trust him. who knows... just my pennies.
8700... mark it down

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:33 pm

yeah, my first year of college wasn't the best. I moved back two lefts, raised my grip 6 inches, and jumped on 15 pound bigger pole, and only jumped like 6 inches higher.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:35 pm

I didn't get to vault at all my freshman year of college because I got cut from the track team. I sure got a lot worse. I forgot how to vault and had to start over that summer :o

uconnvaulta
PV Whiz

i see what ya mean

Unread postby uconnvaulta » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:56 pm

yeah i only pr d an inche gained mad weight and mad speed, which totally has changed my approach also my take off and plant are totally changed because i used to punch myself in the face and swing str8 to my back and be able to pop off the pole like a champ, now my take off is awesome arm out everytime and im killing poles like 16 90s and 95s im just not coming off the top like i used too. But i am slowly gettin there, and cant wait till next season, hope the big east is ready for me, cus im sick of being unknown ;)

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:43 pm

vt will be ready for ya!!! any word on mazza's arm??
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

uconnvaulta
PV Whiz

Unread postby uconnvaulta » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:45 pm

mazzas arm is still in pretty bad shape, he cant str8ten it all the way, but he is doing pretty well other than that, we dont know if he willbe redshirting next season or not yet, but either way he is gonna come back with some strength and a new head on his shoulders, he is gonna be nasty, and who are you by the way , this is jake, the freshmen transition contendant :mad:

aaroncorbett
PV Newbie

most definately felt it

Unread postby aaroncorbett » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:55 pm

I Pr'd first meet. Jumped 16' which was a 4 inch pr, but it was indoors on february 1st. After that i started to mess with my run because it was a major probem and I was never able to get used to it during the season. I got 15'7'' a bunch of times and then choked at 16'1''. This summer i should be able to get used to my new run so hopefully next year will be much better.

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:29 am

Trey,
You don't count. You would have to been and idiot not to get you better!!!!! Not many people who run 10.63 sucked as bad as you did in high school, you are probably the next stud that no one really knows about yet. LB

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:07 pm

this is brian. i just finished my redshirt freshman year outdoors. Yeah mazza could def be nasty if he ever learns how to jump the pole off the ground. if he doesnt do that hes gonna continue to be scary and dangerous.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:21 pm

The problem with some freshman not getting better is the fact that some college vault coaches will take you and make you vault their way, not find a way to make your current technique better. They will change your vault to fit their coaching style, not change their coaching style to fit your vault.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

uconnvaulta
PV Whiz

Weather and seasons

Unread postby uconnvaulta » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:32 pm

Yeah another thing that was a huge change was the seasons, i didnt have an indoor season which means i only got to jump for like 2 monts out of the year, which suks but the indoor season and the short outdoor season was a huge difference, and its weird not having an indoor season, but i now have it all under my belt and learning from everything i haev experienced and cant wait to get out on the runway next indoor season, bring it homeys time to compete :devil:
Train Harder than your competition

Return to “Pole Vault - College”