Hotel Suggestions for Kamloops?

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

DBH027
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, High School Coach, Former College Coach

Re: Hotel Suggestions for Kamloops?

Unread postby DBH027 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:48 pm

bubba,

Have you worked out how you will get your poles to Kamloops? Can the firm you hooked me up with to get my poles shipped to the Boston Nationals a few years ago also get them shipped to Kamloops? I shipped poles to Canada once and it was a bit of a hassle due to all the customs stuff...I mean c'mon, it's Canada!

Trying to figure out if I can fly into Kamloops vs. Vancouver or Seattle then driving.

Let me know what you got!

Thanks,
Dan

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi Dan and great to hear from you as always!! My plan/hope is to ship them to John "Master" Altendorf in Oregon and then pay him to drive them over on his vehicle. I've done this before within the US where I knew someone was driving. John says he doesn't mind since he's driving anyway but I've still got shipping to and from him plus obviously I will pay him for the transport to Canada. I know when we went to Charlotte in 2006 me, Don and some other buddies sent our poles with Steve “Colonel” Warr for $100 a bag. We set the price. It gave him gas and hotel money and we didn’t have to hassle with the planes. This was before we started shipping. BTW - my final bill to Sydney is $1,900 to get my poles there and back. Bubba

PS – I/you can ask Bruce Caldwell what he can do as well since he sends poles all over the world he has the system down.
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

DBH027
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, High School Coach, Former College Coach

Unread postby DBH027 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:01 pm

thanks Bubba, I was considering asking John also, not sure his capacity for poles, I usually travel with 4, case gets a bit heavy though due to weight of the tube....

John, if you are reading this, please comment...

Dan

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:14 pm

I would put out the word to any vaulter in the Pacific NW who wants to make a little extra money. Bruce Caldwell just sent me an email saying this is by far the best way to get them across the border. Bubba

DBH027
PV Nerd

Unread postby DBH027 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:24 pm

Perhaps Becca can provide some guidance...

If there is enough interest perhaps I will fly to Seattle, rent a adequtely sized vehicle, and drive up poles, could end up subsidizing, if not paying for most of my expenses! downside is that would have to take an extra couple days off work...

Dan

sawdust
PV Newbie
Expertise: high school vaulter, high school coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13-6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: stacy dragilla

Unread postby sawdust » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:38 pm

Dan,
Would be interested in sending 3 poles with you to Kamloops, depending on cost and timing and health. If a possibility, let me know.
Larry

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:17 pm

DBH027 wrote: ... perhaps I will fly to Seattle, rent a adequtely sized vehicle, and drive up poles, could end up subsidizing, if not paying for most of my expenses! downside is that would have to take an extra couple days off work...

Landing in Seattle instead of Vancouver is only going to add a couple hours to your trip each way ... not a couple days ... LOL! :D

However, coordinating the pick up of various poles from various drop off points in Seattle at various times could add to your logistics time.

Maybe someone already on the ground in Seattle or Portland (John?) can simplify these logistics.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:45 pm

I'm planning on going. I live in Mount Vernon WA 60mi North of seattle on I-5. I'm not sure if I'm planning on staying all the days but I defiantly could transport and/or rent poles. Also if any one needs a place we have plenty of room at our house. Also I have a business address to ship poles to which usually can save some $. Also depending on your plans you might be able to jump indoors in Bellingham a few days before the comp.
Last edited by Robert schmitt on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:22 pm

I'm flying directly into Kamloops but shipping my poles to someone driving. I'll finalize all of this when I get back from Australia but I sure appreciate everyone's input. Great info!! Bubba

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:38 pm

I can vouch for Robert, he's a good guy and a reliable person.

DBH027
PV Nerd

Unread postby DBH027 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:46 am

Good stuff, sounds like there are several options for pole transportation...makes me feel more comfortable about flying into Kamloops

...last time I went to these championships in Linz, the TSA would not allow allow my poles through security even though Lufthansa agreed to take them..ended up having to borrow poles, the great news is a decathlete from Great Britian had two poles of the exact length and flex I needed...guess I would rather be lucky that good...but not willing to push my luck like that agian!

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:06 am

I think they have updated those protocols. When we went to Drake (and last saw you) we took them on Frontier and they had TSA clear them (3 minutes) so they can be loaded. It may have been the least hassle I have ever had taking poles and it was only $50 each way. Bubba

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”