back to reality

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: back to reality

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:06 am

I would agree Kirk. HaHa! Actually her mom has health problems so we have pick and choose carefully when we both can get away. She didn't want to go to Sydney and she only kind of wanted to go to Kamloops so I'm in the clear. She got to go to Hawaii twice last year and to California, plus this year she’s going to Reno, Boston and then Maine so far, so I think I'm safe! HaHa! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Robert
I've been kickin' this around all day and I'm going to throw a couple of things your way for consideration. Coming off a serious injury like an Achilles injury. I think it's more important for you at this point to "feel" right rather than to "look" right. That being said, for the next little bit I'd put the camera away. Why am I suggesting this? Simple, you really need to concentrate on making sure your body and all of it's parts feel OK and "safe" when you jump. Bubba and I refer to it as listening to your body. Let me create a scenario. You're clearing 13 foot hard bars and feeling pretty good. No pain and you're having a ball. You take a look at the video and notice that your free take off isn't what you'd like to see if you were coaching ....you. It should be a lot more out and up and more powerful in your opinion. All of this for maybe 3 to 6 more inches and a much prettier jump. So back to the top of the runway you go and this time (based on what you saw on the video) you pound down the runway and by God you really hit that take off hard and powerful (just like you told yourself you wanted to do) and BOING! there goes the Achilles again. Bye Bye another three years. What I saw on your video I could only wish I could do. If you would have had video from your "glory days" I'm guessing your form pretty much looked then as it does now. So, if I were you (or I was coaching you) I would just say, go jump, have fun, be safe and make sure the next 200 or so times off the ground "feels" right. Then grab the camera and take a look at what you have at that point and then IN TEENY TINY steps tweak those technical areas that you would like to improve. I'm assuming that you're in one of the masters classes. A first place medal is the same whether you jump 11' or 16'. Good luck and work hard while taking it easy. Later...............Mike

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:49 pm

That's some very good advice Mike. I would never consider videoing right out of the box, but then again, I don't look as good as Robert. To think that he's a little "rusty" after three years and yet that's his "just getting started again" vault is super impressive!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:51 pm

I've been jumping the past three years but just in meets and only 2-5 times down the runway total. That has really screwed my run up. Luckly my achillies is in my none take off leg but, as I alluded to I create most of my power with my right especially in the acceleration phase of the run. You are absolutly right about pushing too hard my right achillies is feeling a little tweeky yesterday and today got the kinesio tape on doing some spinning, getting adjusted, and having some ART done on it. As much as I want to run harder I don't think I can right now. I'm taking a week off and see how it is. I know I can get my swing and top end better now though from the video and that was what disappointed my the most from what I was "feeling" in my minds eye. In the long run having good technique is what is going to make someone a successful masters vaulter as the years go on as compared to just relying on your physical abilities. I truely appreciate your input mike and I need to hear it b/c I'm the king of over use injuries and pushing my self way too hard. One of the many examples- I had my first three college seasons cut short from stress fractures to the tibia from over training.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:56 am

Robert, don't mess yourself up! I'm looking forward to meeting you at Kamloops. In fact I hope to also meet Gerard Dumas and Pogo Stick and Kirk! :yes: :D Oh yes, and John Hawkins if he is still in the game. I met him one time a few years ago but haven't seen him since.

- master

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:32 am

master wrote: Oh yes, and John Hawkins if he is still in the game. I met him one time a few years ago but haven't seen him since.

- master

He was in Seattle last summer for the decathlon, I am sure he'll be at Kamloops.

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”