back to reality

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

back to reality

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:16 am

As some of you know I have been battleing achilies issues for three+years. good news I seem to have it under control. I have actually been able to practice and take more than 5 trips down the runway for the first time. I thought I was actually jumping pretty well...until i took video tonight. I've never taken video since college so I don't have much comparison but dang I thought I was jumping much better. Once I figure out how to download it I'll post some of the better jumps. At least it means I have alot of room to improve.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: back to reality

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:37 am

Don't feel bad. I walked up four flights of stairs for a workout Monday and I'm still paying for it (on Wednesday).

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:01 am

GREAT to hear you're back Robert!! As the recipient of two Achilles surgeries, that makes me an even bigger fan of yours!!

Unfortunately our video doesn't lie. What we started doing that really helped was giving ourselves a "field grade" for each jump as soon as we completed the vault. Then we would give a "video grade" at home. At first there was a big disparity but after awhile, the field grade starting matching the video grade. At that point we knew what we felt was what we would see.

You're a very good vaulter so this ought to work pretty well, pretty quickly for you. Food for thought. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:44 pm

I love it Bubba, That is exactally what happened. my field grade for these were a A- my video grade C. Man not being able to practice has taken a toll. here is the evidence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vVUOUASAhQ
I was on a 5 step 14' 175 and 180 standards are way back like 110cm. gripping 13'5"ish. bungee is at 14'

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:46 pm

DUDE!! You're too hard on yourself. You look pretty dang good to me. Nice easy jumps to get back in the rhythm. Looks like real fun. Great job!! Bubba

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:54 pm

You may not like to hear this, but your technique looks great. Your physical abilities......not nearly as good. You can get better, but not much unless you improve physically.

my 2 cents

Barto

Hell, what do I know? I can't tie my own shoes anymore.
Facts, Not Fiction

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:30 pm

Barto-
yeah I'm slow as hell- to long trying not to run hard because of my achillies- take off is flat, pulling, with my top hand slow swing, flagging off the top. My legs are still quite sore as I am still squating and doing dead lifts every mon. I also lift upper body on wed, so I hope as I taper off that and do some plyo's (achillies allowing) that I'll get a little more snap in my run and take off. That five step has already moved back 3'6" from just realizing how much I was babying my run. I don't know how much more spring I an get out of my take off I cann't jump well off my left foot. In college I could easily dunk off my right foot and one step both feet, but could barely touch the middle of the net off my left foot.

Bubba I'm having a ton of fun I just expect to be able to vault better than the kids I coach. I'm thankful to just be able to do it. I just had a much better mental picture of what I was doing than the real life footage. primarly how slow I running, I'm a hair later in timing with the pole and I did not think I was flagging as much as I see. I'm actually jumping higher than I thought I would from this early and short of a run that's why I thought it would look better.

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:30 pm

Robert schmitt wrote:As some of you know I have been battleing achilies issues for three+years. good news I seem to have it under control. I have actually been able to practice and take more than 5 trips down the runway for the first time. I thought I was actually jumping pretty well...until i took video tonight. I've never taken video since college so I don't have much comparison but dang I thought I was jumping much better. Once I figure out how to download it I'll post some of the better jumps. At least it means I have alot of room to improve.

Man, I hope you will not compete in my age group in Kamloops (46-50). :P
When I saw myself on video after almost 20 years of non vaulting I was pleasantly surprised - It looked much better than I feel. Probably because I had very low expectations. :)
You don't need to worry about technique. As Barto says it is just matter of fitness.
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:12 pm

I'm glad that you are BOTH out of my M55 group! Keep up the great work guys!! Bubba

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:04 pm

Bubba PV wrote:I'm glad that you are BOTH out of my M55 group! Keep up the great work guys!! Bubba

Thanks for nice words and encouragement. I am very far to your results and achievements. I would be honored to carry your poles and clean spikes. :yes: :rose:
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:07 pm

Thank YOU!! I hope to see you all in Kamloops. It's starting to look like I'm going alone after all as my wife will be tied up at home. Bubba

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:53 am

Bubba PV wrote:... I'm going alone after all as my wife will be tied up at home.

Come on Bubba, that's spousal abuse! :no:

Oh well, in these tough economic times, anything to save an airfare I guess. ;)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”