Milestones

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Milestones

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:29 am

I have had several vaulters give me different years that they have done different things. Dan West has a number of cool things like that. I came up with one of my own last night and would also like to hear about yours.

I have now vaulted 13' or higher in six decades. I first made it in 1969, of course the 70s, I started back in masters in 1989 and made 13' in my 3rd meet. No problem in the 90s or 2000, then on January 2, 2010 I cleared 13' 1" (3.99m) to give me that make in my 6th decade. Since I'm 56 I got lucky by catching the end of the decade on the first one and the first of the decade on this one. I certainly doubt there will be a 7th but we can dream. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

artparry
PV Fan
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15 ft 1 in
Favorite Vaulter: Former Team Mate Bob Seagren

Re: Milestones

Unread postby artparry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:21 pm

Bubba, you really are OLD! That is a long time to be jumping that well. Congratulations. I have not done anything to compare with that. However, I may have the highest Pole Vault in history? Two years ago I was on a trip thru Colorado. We took a detour and went over Cottonwood Pass. The pass is at an elevation of 12,126 feet and is part of the contintental divide. Needless to say I could not pass up the opportunity and got a pole off of my car and pole vaulted across the Continental Divide at 12,126 feet plus about 3 feet. I have pictures to prove it!

art
65 & going strong!

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:01 pm

THAT is awesome Art!! Bubba

sthome12
PV Newbie
Expertise: Newbie
Lifetime Best: 20
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Unread postby sthome12 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:47 am

Wow, that really amazing Bubba.
I just hope when my age turns 56, I can still do the same like you did.
:) :)

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Bubba
That is a great stat, actually it is kind of mind blowing. I lost one of my streaks ( consecutive years over 13' at 33 years) a couple of years ago with my left foot problem but I have kept my other streak going ( consecutive years clearing a height), by first spending one year vaulting left handed and then last year going to goofy footed vaulting. I could only clear 11'6" left handed and it was not very enjoyable vaulting that way so I tried Goofy footed (right handed jumping off my right foot) and although that felt really bad off the ground it felt much better in the approach and through the rest of the vault. Late last summer my take off started feeling more natural and I cleared 12', and already this indoor season I have cleared 12' from a short approach so I think I can make this new technique work for me and I hope to be a 13' vaulter once again as I enter the second half of my 50's. Anyway with my recent indoor clearances I now have my consecutive years over a bar at 45 years. I have a bit to go to catchup with the master up north ( Gerard Dumas ) but I am after him.
Vault On
Last edited by vaultwest on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:42 pm

That's so awesome Dan! You are a true survivor of the sport. Greatly looking forward to seeing you in Reno and Kamloops. Your friendship and advice you have given to me is priceless. Bubba

artparry
PV Fan
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15 ft 1 in
Favorite Vaulter: Former Team Mate Bob Seagren

Unread postby artparry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:53 pm

What is the longest time anyone has gone between vaults? My span was 39 years and 10 months. That is a period from June 1965 to April 2005. (Note: My two step plant and swing resulted in a pulled hamstring and another 2 months before I took my next attempt)
65 & going strong!

vaultphd
PV Newbie
Expertise: vaulter; coach.

Unread postby vaultphd » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:09 pm

hey Dan--neat about you jumping 12' off of your wrong (goofy) foot! Didn't another famous Dan (O'brien) jump goofy off his wrong foot???

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:14 pm

So did Bruce Jenner.

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:27 pm

vaultphd
thanks, very weird thing to do but better than quitting. Actually Bubba is correct and the goofy footed decathlete was Bruce Jenner. Dan O'brien was a conventional technician in the vault.
Vault On

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:02 pm

artparry wrote:What is the longest time anyone has gone between vaults? My span was 39 years and 10 months. That is a period from June 1965 to April 2005. (Note: My two step plant and swing resulted in a pulled hamstring and another 2 months before I took my next attempt)

Art, you beat me by a few years. My sabbatical was from 1968 to 2003; approximately 35 years.

- master

PS Glad to see you are going to jump at the Albuquerque masters exhibition event! Sho'em yur stuff :yes:

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:23 pm

How bout from 62 to 2010 and not a very good athlete Set up bamboo poles in Danang vn and cleared 10' and landed on the ground-- got 3 pits in my back yard. Still clear 11' at 66 ( should be higher if i wasn't so dam SLOW) Was ranked #1 in the world from 76 to 86 before 18 & 19 footers got in the masters & GOOD FOR THEM The pole vault has been my life and has been a great one still!! Have 26 athletes that train with me ( 20 HS state champions from 4 states just in the last 2 years). I thank the LORD for EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”