M55 is Going to Be WILD at Sacramento

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

M55 is Going to Be WILD at Sacramento

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:47 am

http://masterspv.blogspot.com/2011/03/h ... ctive.html

As you will read, never in history have even two M55 vaulters cleared 3.95m in a World Championship, yesterday's nationals in Albuquerque had FOUR!! To my knowledge only once has someone gotten 2nd with 3.95m EVER, Bill Murray at Spokane.

Now here is a twist to yesterday - how would you like to have broken the American Record at 4.21m (13' 9 3/4") and then gotten 2nd? It happened to Charlie Brown yesterday as Gary Hunter cleared first for an AR and then Charlie did, only to lose to Gary. Yes - the results are wrong and will be corrected, Charlie did jump 4.21m instead of the 4.10m he is credited with. I stopped after my first jump clearance at 3.95m with a hamstring twinge but what a ride for all of us. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Re: M55 is Going to Be WILD at Sacramento

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Bubba PV wrote:http://masterspv.blogspot.com/2011/03/historical-perspective.html

As you will read, never in history have even two M55 vaulters cleared 3.95m in a World Championship, yesterday's nationals in Albuquerque had FOUR!! To my knowledge only once has someone gotten 2nd with 3.95m EVER, Bill Murray at Spokane.

Now here is a twist to yesterday - how would you like to have broken the American Record at 4.21m (13' 9 3/4") and then gotten 2nd? It happened to Charlie Brown yesterday as Gary Hunter cleared first for an AR and then Charlie did, only to lose to Gary. Yes - the results are wrong and will be corrected, Charlie did jump 4.21m instead of the 4.10m he is credited with. I stopped after my first jump clearance at 3.95m with a hamstring twinge but what a ride for all of us. Bubba

Bubba,

It sounded like a great competition, with great marks. It is interesting Charlie only got credit for 4.10 considering he made 4.21 as I was on the phone with my friend who was competing in the 50 year old division as he cleared 4.21 by six inches according him. This was a United States National Masters Championships, you would think they would get it right. I am sure they are very nice, but being a National Championship, they should get the results right. I know Chob, Gayle and the crew officiating the meets in San Diego are incredible, maybe he and Gayle should take a road trip to Sacramento this summer. Too bad about your tweaked hamstring, you have been jumping great the last couple of years. Good luck the rest of the year, stay healthy and have fun.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: M55 is Going to Be WILD at Sacramento

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:17 pm

They will get it corrected Bill. He did make it by 6" on a 1st attempt. He looked awesome all day. BTW - Gary jumped an AR of 4.15m but Charlie passed. When they went to 4.21m Gary went first and made it and then Charlie did, both on first jumps. GREAT meet!!

Don't tell me that YOU will be in the M55 at Sacramento too!!!!??? Miss jumping with you Bill. Hope to see you at Worlds! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”