How often do you jump and other training?

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

How often do you jump and other training?

Unread postby fishman4god » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Hey there just a couple quick training related questions for all you masters vaulters. The questions:

How often do you actually vault short approach or full approach. I have found that if I jump with any intensity 8-12 jumps that I am really not able to jump without discomfort(joints mainly)for about 5-6 days M53 age group. ( anyone else experience this)?

I also do additional speed training on a day about 3-4 days after I jump with other conditioning/bar drills/strength work on the other days.

I also ride an exercise bike 5-6 days a week for general conditioning and leg strength/endurance.

Let me know what you do/have done that works and the vaultng frequency as well.
I am trying to guage what I am doing. I have only been back vaulting for about a year.

Thanks for your time! :D

mp

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: How often do you jump and other training?

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:25 pm

I'm coming off a 10-year rest cycle but might be jumping at the WMA Championships in a couple of weeks. Are you coming out for the meet?

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Wilson I think you are peaking just in time. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter

Unread postby fishman4god » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:34 am

Unfortunately I can't make Worlds ( and really do not feel ready for the caliber of competition..............yet!) I am coming off a "20 year" rest break,actually been jumping in practice for about 1 year now and went to a meet(first competition since 1980) in May 2011. I am going to compete at Nationals in Ohio end of July. It is alot different training in your 50's than in your 20's........to say the least.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:36 am

Welcome back and we look forward to seeing you at Nationals!! We all had to pass through where you are right now. Enjoy!! Bubba

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks Bubba, I have visited your website (actually the first time about 1.5 years ago) and honestly your site and references got the juices turning again. You could say you were the inspiration I needed to lose weight and start jumping again. I really had no idea that the "masters" circuit even existed and had such a huge following. The level of vaulting in all of the age groups is outstanding and competing again is such a rush! I look forward to meeting you and many others at Nationals! Thanks,

mp

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:22 pm

Thank you and glad it helped mp. We are all in this together. Please introduce yourself to me at nationals. Love getting to know new vaulters. Will be great to see you!! Bubba

artparry
PV Fan
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15 ft 1 in
Favorite Vaulter: Former Team Mate Bob Seagren

Unread postby artparry » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:48 pm

My usual routine is as follows:

Monday mornings I mainly stick to streching because I vault on Monday nights. Usualy start with 8-10 vaults, 4 lefts working on technique. Mostly arm position and knee drive. Then I proceed to 6-8 full runs which for me are 6 lefts. Then I usually follow with some speed work on the runway.

Tuesday mornings are for cardio and lower body weights. Normal workout consists of 1/2 mile jog, followed by light streching, followed by 30 minutes on the ellicptical. Then I follow with some plyometics to develop some "explosiveness" (as much as a 65 year old can). Then followed by additional leg excersises, squats and leg curls and lunges. I finish with a 1/2 mile walk home. If I do not do any speed work on Monday night I include speedwork on Tuesday mornings.

Wednesday mornings are for upper body. I start with 1/2 mile jog, followed by 30 minutes of cardio. Then about an hour of upper body weights. I finish with a 1/2 mile walk home.

Thursday is the same as Monday, including vaulting on Thursday night. That is if I am not competing on Saturday. If I have a Saturday competition then I follow my normal competition warmup, with 3-4 full run throughs.

Friday is the same as Tuesday. Unless competing on Saturday. If competing I do the 1/2 mile jog and streching with the 1/2 mile walk home.

Saturday is the same as Wednesday.

Sunday is 1/2 mile jog, plus 30 minutes of cardio and the walk home. I take every other Sunday off.

And yes, Tuesday and Friday mornings my whole body hurts after vaulting the previous night. That is why I make sure to go to the gym on Tuesday and Friday to work out the pain!

Thankfully I am retired so that I do have the time to workout.

Art
65 & going strong!

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:13 pm

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks Art and Bubba, that helps me guage what I am doing and thanks for taking the time to respond. Keep on Jumpin!

mp

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:07 pm

No problem. I think we all get our ideas from others. I get lot of stuff from the maniac Dan West.

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Hey Bubba,
What me a maniac, I think I resemble that remark.
For what it is worth since we are sharing and I love to see as many guys and gals as possible join us in our masters PV glory here is my basic outline for training.
Pre-season - end of August to Thanksgiving.
1. Monday
a. Cardio
b. lift - 3 sets of between 8, 10 or 12 reps of 14 exercises, I alternate upper and lower body lifts through each workout because of time constraints and I feel that training should be specific and we use out entire body when we vault, I go from big lifts, i.e. back squats, bench to specialized lifts, i.e. straight arm pullovers and hamstring curls to Abs.
c. stretch
2. Tuesday
a. timed distance run 2.5 miles
b. 8 to 10 gymnastic type PV drills, 3 to 6 reps each
c. stretch
3. Wednesday
a. cardio
b. Lift I switch it up and do my lifts with dumb bells and front squats instead of back, for each type of lift, etc.
c. stretch
4. Thursday
a. Fartleck runs
b. 8 to 10 gymnastic type PV drills 3 to 6 reps
c. stretch
5. Friday
a. Cardio
b. Lift same as Monday
c. Stretch
6. Saturday
a. Rest
b. Stretch
7. Sunday
a. Rest
b. Stretch
Pre-competitive season Thanksgiving to June
1. Monday
a. Cardio
b. Lift - same exercises lower reps/ faster motion for more power
c. Stretch
2. Tuesday
a. full approach vaulting
b. stretch
3. Wednesday
a. 20 to 30 minutes of Ultimate Frisbee
b. 8-10 pole vault drills, 3 to 6 reps
c. 10 - 12 gymnastic PV drills 1 or 2 sets of 3 to 6 reps
d. Sprinting
e. Stretch
4. Thursday
a. Short approach vaulting
b. Stretch
5. Friday
a. Cardio
b. Lift Same as Monday
c. Stretch
6. Saturday
a. compete or rest
b. Stretch
7. Sunday
a. Rest
b. Stretch

Competitive season - June through August
1. Monday
a. Full approach vaulting
b. Stretch
2. Tuesday
a. Sprinting
b. 10 -12 gymnastic PV drills 1 - 2 sets of 3 - reps
c. Stretch
3. Wednesday
a. Cardio
b. very light lift, 6 - 10 exercises 3 sets of 6 very light weight quick motions
c. Stretch
4. Thursday
a. Compete at All comers meet or if no meet - vaulting
b. Stretch
5. Friday
a. Cardio
b. Lift 3 sets of 6 reps - 6 to 12 exercises moderate heavy weights
c. Stretch
6. Saturday
a. Rest or competition
b. Stretch
7. Sunday
a. Rest
b. Stretch
Hope that helps not real specific I know but I feel that each of us masters athletes has to find what that magic mix of exercises and rest that will work for us. we all need different amounts of training modalities and we must match what our bodies can handle and what we have access to within the time restraints we all face.
Vault On

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”