All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

jumpinjoe
PV Newbie
Expertise: masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.56

Beware of the British Bully @ Sacramento

Unread postby jumpinjoe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:17 am

This is copy of email sent to WMA council members yesterday, concerning an incident that occurred @ Sac State.
I hope it is an isolated incident /misunderstanding and not indicative of the type treatment we can expect.
The USATF Officials running the pole vault events were ABSOLUTELY SUPERB . . . helpful, above and beyond
normal expectations. If not for their help I probably would have been thrown in jail! Beware of the Alan Bell
guy, who acts like he owns the place!

WMA World Championships, Sacramento 2011

To Whom It May Concern,

After the pole vault competitions were finished Sat. July 09, I entered the area to practice @ approximately 11am or shortly thereafter. An official told me the pit was closed. After showing the Meet Referee (section 9.14 PRACTICE AREAS AND TIMES) page 35 of the "Final Edition 2011 Competition Manual", that reads ". . .pole vault practice will be at Sacramento State in the afternoons of competition days after vault competitions for the day are complete." The Meet Referee stated ". . . we will have to honor that".

My objective was to practice meet day procedures and I started the session. About midway into it an individual, who later identified himself as Alan Bell, came screaming into the area, demanding that I leave the field. I asked him to read that page in the book, he refused stating that he ". . .wrote the book . . ." He summoned the police to remove me from the field and continued to harangue, threaten and bully me before the Meet Referee intervened by reading him the passage from the Competition Manual. When relenting he stated that I would have to wait an hour until 12:30 (? afternoon?) to resume my session. Needless to say the "meet day preparation" was shot. I hope this bullying is not ever repeated and definitely not on meet day.

Being a certified USATF Official I have utmost regard and appreciation for the persons that make these meets possible by making sure that competitions are fair for all.

I had the pleasure of participating in the NSGA meet in Humble, Texas several weeks ago where the Officials were very competent and accommodating.  They seemed to be practicing the Golden Rule (Treat others the way you would like to be treated).   So we know it can be done, AND it appears to attract large numbers of participants . . . why would anyone spend large amounts of time and money to be treated like I was today? 

There is no way to fix or repair what happened to me, but I think those in charge should look to the future and think about the mission of Masters Track. People train all year to try to get their best performances. They also want the opportunity to share and fellowship with other athletes. Your mission should be to provide these opportunities in THE MOST POSITIVE AND LEAST RESTRICTIVE ENVIRONMENT.

Thank You,
Joe Johnston M65

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Re: Beware of the British Bully @ Sacramento

Unread postby master » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:33 pm

Wow Joe. Sorry you were subjected to that. I also understood that practice could be done on the pit after competition was completed.

On a more friendly note, I sure am looking forward to vaulting with you and all the other M65 vaulters next Saturday.
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”